Railroad Line Forums - Signs For Structures
Railroad Line Forums
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register
Forgot Password?
  Home   Forums   Events Calendar   Sponsors   Support the RRLine   Guestbook   FAQ     Register
Active Topics | Active Polls | Resources | Members | Online Users | Live Chat | Avatar Legend | Search | Statistics
Photo Album | File Lister | File Library
[ Active Members: 1 | Anonymous Members: 0 | Guests: 99 ]  [ Total: 100 ]  [ Newest Member: Bigbandito ]
 All Forums
 Model Railroad Forums
 Mike Chambers' Craftsman's Corner
 Signs For Structures
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Author Previous Topic: Its The Way The Resin Crumbles Topic Next Topic: Various shots and a question for Louis
Page: of 43

jknapp
Fireman

Posted - 07/14/2005 :  07:46:49 AM  Show Profile  Visit jknapp's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Thanks to everybody for all the great signs/posters. I'll try to get some of my collection up here.

postalkarl
Fireman

Posted - 07/14/2005 :  07:49:43 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
John:

Your welcome. When you gonna give me a call.

Karl S.

jknapp
Fireman

Posted - 07/14/2005 :  07:56:18 AM  Show Profile  Visit jknapp's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Yo Karl...LOL!! I literally just sent you an e-mail! Soon...definitely soon! Just so hard to find free time. Know what I mean..?

postalkarl
Fireman

Posted - 07/14/2005 :  12:42:15 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi Guys:

Here's a few more signs for the collection.

Karl S.

slimjerkins
Fireman

Posted - 07/14/2005 :  1:30:01 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I've read this thread and I still need a little clarification on printers and printing.

For those of you who are simulating painted-on signs - i.e. sanding to tissue thickness, white glue, push it into the morter lines - which printer/inks/paper combinations work that don't run? Which ones DO run (and should be avoided)?

As far as "board" signs (just cut it out from the sheet) - same thing . . .which combinations of ink/paper/printer hold up to washes of alcohol or Dullcote applications?

Thnks,

slim

Tombanjo
Engine Wiper

Posted - 07/14/2005 :  1:55:31 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Love all the great advertising signs and pinups (some of which will soon be decorating the walls of my little workshop currently under construction. One question/request though, It seems like there is a shortage of informational/ warning signs out there from earlier eras. By that I mean the stay out, hazardous material, flamable, whatever signs that litter our landscape today as well as the open, closed, this way, this side up signs. When did our world get peppered with these things. For example, in 1910 did a barrel of kerosene have 5 flamable warnings on it and around it, or did they just assume that everybody knew the thing would burn and that care should be exercised. They seem naked without all those cautionary signs

Dave

postalkarl
Fireman

Posted - 07/14/2005 :  2:56:53 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi Guys:

As far as inks and paper go I have an HP printer with whatever ink goes in it and regular white bond copy paper. Have never had any problems. As far as hazardous material and warning signs go I wouldn't suspect you'd see to many until the enviromentalists came on the scene. Not sure of the exact date.

Karl S.

slimjerkins
Fireman

Posted - 07/14/2005 :  3:54:19 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Love all the great advertising signs and pinups (some of which will soon be decorating the walls of my little workshop currently under construction. One question/request though, It seems like there is a shortage of informational/ warning signs out there from earlier eras. By that I mean the stay out, hazardous material, flamable, whatever signs that litter our landscape today as well as the open, closed, this way, this side up signs. When did our world get peppered with these things. For example, in 1910 did a barrel of kerosene have 5 flamable warnings on it and around it, or did they just assume that everybody knew the thing would burn and that care should be exercised. They seem naked without all those cautionary signs

Dave

ANSWER: More common sense back then and less lawyers.

CAUTION: AUTHOR OF THIS EMAIL IS NOT RESPONSIBLE FOR IMPROPER MONITOR SETTINGS THAT MAY CAUSE ADVERSE EFFECTS ON VISION.

-slim

terry hansley
Crew Chief

Posted - 07/14/2005 :  5:42:57 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote

After going to the Salmon can site suggested by Darryl and a little futzin' around on the Xn- view software and the settings on my printer.

I have a sign for my cannery that has been in my mind for over a year.

Thanks Darryl

Terry H

MikeC
Administrator

Premium Member

Posted - 07/14/2005 :  6:22:23 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Nice modeling, Terry. Glad to see you back and posting again.

Slim, most inkjet printers use water soluble ink. Even so, as long as you're careful, you shouldn't have problems with the ink running. I never have, and I've printed a number of signs for models in recent years.

Several of the newer photo printers are designed to take advantage of dye-based "archival ink" cartridges, and they (the printers) are nicely priced. The cartridges are another matter, though. They can be pretty expensive.

PaulD
Crew Chief

Posted - 07/14/2005 :  6:33:23 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Terry H,
I like your Cannery, the water looks fantastic, it's a pity your shot just teases us a little, could you explain how you achieved your splashing water?

To seal the water based ink jet prints I've used Workable Matt Spray Fixative from an Art supply store. This was suggested by Sierra West in Shelby's. I have had trouble with Dullcoat bleeding water soluble ink on paper.
PaulD

Marken
Fireman

Posted - 07/14/2005 :  7:58:44 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
C'mon Terry, quit teasing...more pics!

In memory of Mike Chambers

Peterpools
Engineer

Posted - 07/14/2005 :  8:17:13 PM  Show Profile  Visit Peterpools's Homepage  Reply with Quote
A few more for the collection

postalkarl
Fireman

Posted - 07/14/2005 :  9:21:14 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Terry:

Glad you like the salmon sign I posted. loks good on your cannery. Take some more picks and post them ok.

Karl S .

Bbags
Administrator

Premium Member

Posted - 07/14/2005 :  9:24:43 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by terry hansley

After going to the Salmon can site suggested by Darryl and a little futzin' around on the Xn- view software and the settings on my printer.

I have a sign for my cannery that has been in my mind for over a year.

Thanks Darryl

Terry H

Hi Terry
First welcome back to the forum.
I was wondering where you had been hiding.
The sign you picked is the very first sign that Karl posted on the first page.
I have printed it and will be using it on one of my structures.

John Bagley
Modeling the Alaska Railroad in HO in Wildwood Georgia.

Page: of 43 Previous Topic: Its The Way The Resin Crumbles Topic Next Topic: Various shots and a question for Louis  
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Previous Page | Next Page
Jump To:
Railroad Line Forums © 2000-19 Railroad Line Co. Go To Top Of Page
Steam was generated in 0.95 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000