Railroad Line Forums - Signs For Structures
Railroad Line Forums
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register
Forgot Password?
  Home   Forums   Events Calendar   Sponsors   Support the RRLine   Guestbook   FAQ     Register
Active Topics | Active Polls | Resources | Members | Online Users | Live Chat | Avatar Legend | Search | Statistics
Photo Album | File Lister | File Library
[ Active Members: 1 | Anonymous Members: 0 | Guests: 102 ]  [ Total: 103 ]  [ Newest Member: Bigbandito ]
 All Forums
 Model Railroad Forums
 Mike Chambers' Craftsman's Corner
 Signs For Structures
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Author Previous Topic: Its The Way The Resin Crumbles Topic Next Topic: Various shots and a question for Louis
Page: of 43

leeflan
Fireman

Posted - 05/04/2014 :  3:43:57 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi Folks,

Thanks for your interest and assistance. Here is a close up of the billboard.

Looks like the Coke Logo to the left of a sitting or lying young lady holding something (?), next to soda fountain handles, above which is "It's a party."

Again, I appreciate the help, but please, don't spend too much time trying to find it. While it would be fun to use, other Coke billboards from the mid- to late-40's that would work just fine.

Catch y'all later,

Steve

Rick
Administrator

Premium Member

Posted - 05/04/2014 :  3:59:29 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Close, but no cigar.

leeflan
Fireman

Posted - 05/04/2014 :  5:38:46 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Gorgeous, Rick! Love to find THAT one in color.

Steve

desertdrover
Engineer

Posted - 05/04/2014 :  8:49:11 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by leeflan

Gorgeous, Rick! Love to find THAT one in color.

Steve

As close as you can get Steve.

Louis
Pacific Northwest Logging in the East Coast

Thorn Creek and Western
Fireman

Posted - 05/05/2014 :  12:26:54 PM  Show Profile  Visit Thorn Creek and Western's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Ya' know, I think it's remarkable that the images of the woman that Rick and Louis came up with are from exactly the same source. It looks as if the color image was copied from the other for some reason using simplified, broader brush strokes.

Now that we have a better view of the Georgia image the pose of the woman in it seems strangely awkward-- which leads me to wonder if Coke billboards were ever locally hand-painted. That might account for its uniqueness.

-Dave

Edited by - Thorn Creek and Western on 05/05/2014 1:59:11 PM

mabloodhound
Fireman

Posted - 05/05/2014 :  4:17:20 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The red dispenser and the round metal sign were released in 1947.
The "Yes" poster girl was put out in 1946 and had a round Coca Cola red logo on it.

"Early Coke billboards won awards and honors year after year in annual competitions. By 1959, in 27 years of competition, 86 Coca-Cola billboards (an average of more than three each year) had been picked as among the "100 Best Posters of the Year." The winners included this famous "Yes Girl" image, which remains a milestone of poster design.

The artwork was painted by Haddon Sundblom, the famed illustrator who also created the Coca-Cola Santa Claus and Coke's Sprite Boy.

Sundblom was one of Coca-Cola's most prolific artists, painting everything from soda-fountain scenes to bathing beauties. During his peak period in the 1940s, he created at least half of all the Coke billboard art."

Rick
Administrator

Premium Member

Posted - 05/05/2014 :  4:31:07 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Steve, I didn't see either one of the signs we posted, but you might like some of the other ones here: https://www.flickr.com/search/?q=coca+cola+billboards

Also, look here: http://www.google.com/search?q=Sundblom+billboards&client=safari&rls=en&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ei=sPJnU7TkJ8HgsATzuoH4Bw&ved=0CAYQ_AUoAQ&biw=1920&bih=1013#q=Sundblom+coca+cola+billboards&rls=en&tbm=isch

Ensign
Fireman

Posted - 05/05/2014 :  4:44:21 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Steve,I found this one for you as well.

Greg Shinnie

mabloodhound
Fireman

Posted - 05/05/2014 :  5:52:03 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
This is the best site I found for coke ads with the dates they came out

http://www.vintageadbrowser.com/coke-ads-1940s

leeflan
Fireman

Posted - 05/05/2014 :  7:33:09 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hey Crew,

Again, thanks so much for your interest and help on this, confirming yet again that if you need something, just ask the Crew.

But I think we can put this one to rest. While it would have been fun to model the scene exactly, I'll just use one that captures the flavor of the original. After all, no one will know except us, right?

By way of expressing my gratitude, here's another billboard that I think y'all will find amusing, as I did.

It was located just north of Louisville, GA along US 1. While I though this was hysterical, the first thing that popped into my mind was to replace the figure with that irascible and curmudgeonly character that Mike Chambers used to use. I checked with Bruce who didn't feel it would be disrespectful, but he doesn't have the image. Does anyone? I'd rearrange the text so that the final line would be paraphrased "Now, if you'll excuse me, I've got a business to run."

Catch y'all later.

Steve Flanigan

DaveInTheHat
Engine Wiper

Posted - 05/05/2014 :  8:09:16 PM  Show Profile  Visit DaveInTheHat's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Here's a couple from my stash of signs.

http://www.fotki.com/daveinthehat
http://www.youtube.com/user/daveinthehat/videos

Rick
Administrator

Premium Member

Posted - 05/05/2014 :  8:10:41 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I checked with Bruce who didn't feel it would be disrespectful, but he doesn't have the image. Does anyone?

leeflan
Fireman

Posted - 05/05/2014 :  8:50:45 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Dave: Those billboards are just great. Thanks.

Rick: Thanks. Now that I see it again, it's perfect.

Steve

jaynjay
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 06/27/2014 :  11:19:40 AM  Show Profile  Visit jaynjay's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by desertdrover

One of our members was looking for a B-B-Q sign in another thread, so I thought I would post these here for anyone to see and use.

Is there a simple to use program that I can use to change the text or add text to any of these images? And I really mean SIMPLE to use

John

Frank Palmer
Fireman

Posted - 06/27/2014 :  11:52:25 AM  Show Profile  Visit Frank Palmer's Homepage  Reply with Quote
There must be some way of inserting your own text.

All I did for this one was to edit the picture as small as I could, then insert it into "WORD" then add a line of text above and below. Then I went to Printkey 2000, a free download progran and did a rectangular print of the word document and saved it as a .jpg. Oops, when I did the screen print I left the cursor in the image next to the "F".

As for doing one of those that have the text within the picture, not as simple.

Edited by - Frank Palmer on 06/27/2014 11:57:25 AM

Page: of 43 Previous Topic: Its The Way The Resin Crumbles Topic Next Topic: Various shots and a question for Louis  
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Previous Page | Next Page
Jump To:
Railroad Line Forums © 2000-19 Railroad Line Co. Go To Top Of Page
Steam was generated in 0.52 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000