Railroad Line Forums - Signs For Structures
Railroad Line Forums
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register
Forgot Password?
  Home   Forums   Events Calendar   Sponsors   Support the RRLine   Guestbook   FAQ     Register
Active Topics | Active Polls | Resources | Members | Online Users | Live Chat | Avatar Legend | Search | Statistics
Photo Album | File Lister | File Library
[ Active Members: 5 | Anonymous Members: 0 | Guests: 111 ]  [ Total: 116 ]  [ Newest Member: Bigbandito ]
 All Forums
 Model Railroad Forums
 Mike Chambers' Craftsman's Corner
 Signs For Structures
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Author Previous Topic: Its The Way The Resin Crumbles Topic Next Topic: Various shots and a question for Louis
Page: of 43

postalkarl
Fireman

Posted - 07/11/2005 :  09:01:10 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Rod H:

Painted on sign:

1) Cut sign out and turn over and sand as thin as possible without tearing unless you want a very weathered sign.

2) Apply white glue to rear of sign with your finger place on desired spot on wall and press into deatils with your fingernail. I find this to be the best tool.

3) Apply A&I wash. I no longer do this it tends to make the signs to dark and unreadable.

4) Drybrush with Antique White on a wood wall and use Box Car Red or brick color of your choice on the brick walls.

5) Dullcoat if you wish. I isuall don't.

Karl S.

k9wrangler
Engineer

Posted - 07/11/2005 :  09:05:41 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I print signs with an inkjet onto white decal paper then place them as you would letter a train car direct to the wall and use setting solution. Also use thin sheets of plastic for signs and weather and place on buildings.

Karl Scribner
Sunfield Twp. Michigan
H.M.F.I.C
Kentucky Southern Railway
The Spartan Line

Tombanjo
Engine Wiper

Posted - 07/11/2005 :  09:52:37 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by marc_reusser

[quote]Originally posted by postalkarl

HI All;

Here's a sign I thought everyone might enjoy.

Karl S

...Garberville! That's the pot capitol of the USA...or at least California.You can get a contact high, by just driving by.

Marc

Leave it to the Grateful Dead modelers to know that. BTW, got any room in the club for a modeler from the west coast of New England

Dave

postalkarl
Fireman

Posted - 07/11/2005 :  10:37:56 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Dave:

Sure always room for one more or Jello as they say.

Karl S.

postalkarl
Fireman

Posted - 07/11/2005 :  10:39:11 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi All:

Decals are fine if you want aclear or white background. Never much cared for them i prefer paper.

Karl S

postalkarl
Fireman

Posted - 07/12/2005 :  12:19:06 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote

Hi All:

Here is blotter I found today. thought you'd enjoy.

Karl S

TrevorCreek
Fireman

Posted - 07/12/2005 :  07:27:26 AM  Show Profile  Click to see TrevorCreek's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Karl,

Nice blotter. You should build this up into a billboard and install it next to the Eclipse Lawn Mower company on your layout!!!

Frank

postalkarl
Fireman

Posted - 07/12/2005 :  3:34:44 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Frank:

It's been thought of many time. Just haven't done it yet.

Karl S.

postalkarl
Fireman

Posted - 07/12/2005 :  3:57:14 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi Guys:

Here's a nice I have the original advertising piece for. Though you'd enjoy it.

Karl S.

postalkarl
Fireman

Posted - 07/12/2005 :  4:13:53 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi Guy's:

Here's one i found on E-bay.

MikeC
Administrator

Premium Member

Posted - 07/12/2005 :  5:02:46 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Here are a few more....

leeflan
Fireman

Posted - 07/12/2005 :  6:35:01 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi, Gang,

Here's yet another variation on the sign subject. Like everyone else, I use old advertising signs to bring life to structures and the roadside, such as the ones that have already been posted. For example, here's an Aunt Jemima billboard that's currently on the HO L&WS.

But there are many times when I need signage for a specific business. Like others of you do, I design them on a computer and print them off on a high res inkjet printer. Here's an example.

This is patterned after typical business signs of the 40's & 50's era. Printed on printed on premium quality glossy photo paper, they resemble the ubiquitous porcelain signs of the era, and can be weathered as appropriate. Printed on regular inkjet paper, they can be sanded and made to look like paper signs, or even painted on signs.

I'll also use photographs of actual signs as the basis of signs for specific businesses. For example, here's a 30's sign for a guano company in NC.

It had just the right look I was after for the Louisville Fertilizer & Gin Co. sign. Of course, I had no idea what the colors were so I just faked it. Here's the result.

Here are some other vintage photos of interesting signs.

This one has not only great signage, but would make a great model.

OK There's two things for which I'm a real sucker: old cafes and, as you'll see, market-gas station combos. And this one is a real classic. I've actually started designing the artwork for this one. I've got the pig done and the upper half of the front sign. I'm not sure what it'll go on yet, probably something scratchbuilt or kitbashed.

Here's the first market/gas combo. Wow! Talk about an abundance of signage. And, talk about inflation!

Another classic little market/gas combo. A nice little clapboard structure with metal roof that looks like it has just been painted. People often ask why I have so many Coca-Cola signs on the layout . . . because the bottlers paid for them. Judging by the car, single pump and oil highboy, I'd guess this photo to be from the mid-30's, but these little gems lasted well into the late 20th Century, so I'd have no problem updating it to 1957.

OK, one more that has Ray Kroc turning over in his grave.

Sometimes reality is stranger than fiction. I can't resist having this one on the layout. I'll probably hand paint it so it will look, well, handpainted.

Hope you enjoy.

davidellinger77
Engine Wiper

Posted - 07/12/2005 :  7:12:30 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Bennie's Grocery shows a striking resemblance to Saulena's Tavern. This looks like a great candidate for my next scratchbuild. Any other pictures or angles?

leeflan
Fireman

Posted - 07/12/2005 :  7:20:35 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by davidellinger77

Bennie's Grocery shows a striking resemblance to Saulena's Tavern. This looks like a great candidate for my next scratchbuild. Any other pictures or angles?

Sorry, David. As far as I know, these are all one-off pictures I got from a website so looong ago I couldn't begin to remember which one. So, like I do, you'll probably need to "go Disney" and imagineer the rest of the structure. Good luck.

Thorn Creek and Western
Fireman

Posted - 07/12/2005 :  8:27:32 PM  Show Profile  Visit Thorn Creek and Western's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by leeflan

Hi, Gang,

Here's yet another variation on the sign subject... photographs of actual signs as the basis of signs for specific businesses.

Steve-
Thanks for posting those great shots. I'll bet we all have a few we could share. Another thing we can share are shots of "homemade" signs we've seen. For example:

AND

Both of these are at a local County zoo. I love that amateur Bambi!
If any of you use one or more of these signs, I'd appreciate a picture.

-thanks, Dave

-Dave

Page: of 43 Previous Topic: Its The Way The Resin Crumbles Topic Next Topic: Various shots and a question for Louis  
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Previous Page | Next Page
Jump To:
Railroad Line Forums © 2000-19 Railroad Line Co. Go To Top Of Page
Steam was generated in 7.75 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000