Railroad Line Forums - Signs For Structures
Railroad Line Forums
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register
Forgot Password?
  Home   Forums   Events Calendar   Sponsors   Support the RRLine   Guestbook   FAQ     Register
Active Topics | Active Polls | Resources | Members | Online Users | Live Chat | Avatar Legend | Search | Statistics
Photo Album | File Lister | File Library
[ Active Members: 2 | Anonymous Members: 0 | Guests: 105 ]  [ Total: 107 ]  [ Newest Member: Bigbandito ]
 All Forums
 Model Railroad Forums
 Mike Chambers' Craftsman's Corner
 Signs For Structures
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Author Previous Topic: Its The Way The Resin Crumbles Topic Next Topic: Various shots and a question for Louis
Page: of 43

jmarksbery
New Hire

Posted - 06/27/2006 :  8:37:53 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hiya Dick, is this what you had in mind for your sign? If so I will be glad to do it for you, all I need is the picture you want to use and the style font. E-mail me at jmarksbery@aol.com

Download Attachment: Toad Hollow.jpg
89.55 KB

LVRR fan
Engine Wiper

Posted - 07/05/2006 :  11:54:45 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Dunno if anyone posted this site yet, but it's a good one for gas signs:

http://www.logoproducts4less.com/reproduction-vintage-signs.html
Rick

Bbags
Administrator

Premium Member

Posted - 07/05/2006 :  8:37:53 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks Rick,
There are some very interesting and unique signs there.
I may have to use a few of these in the future.

John Bagley
Modeling the Alaska Railroad in HO in Wildwood Georgia.

AVRR-PA
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 07/10/2006 :  9:09:51 PM  Show Profile  Visit AVRR-PA's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Please excuse the memory lapse -- but I can't remember where I found a piece of information about making signs using your word processor. I've tried using the Google search trick and didn't have much luck.

I want to write the copy for a sign using MS Word or Corel Wordperfect and then be able to resize it, maybe add a background color, and print it in HO scale sign on my photo printer.

I've tried just experimenting -- trying to save the WP file as a .jpg (won't do it), trying to open it with Elements 3.0 or Paint (won't do it).

Worst case, I guess I could print the sign, scan it on my flatbed scanner as a jpeg, and go from there. Seems like there should be a more direct way to do.

Help!

Don

Martin Fischer
Engine Wiper

Posted - 07/11/2006 :  12:44:26 AM  Show Profile  Visit Martin Fischer's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by AVRR-PA

I want to write the copy for a sign using MS Word or Corel Wordperfect and then be able to resize it, maybe add a background color, and print it in HO scale sign on my photo printer.

Just a thought: did you try the following? Design the sign in your text processor, select everything and copy to clipboard. Start up your favorite drawing software (Paint or Paintshop etc. ) do a paste and save from there.

Regards
Martin

AVRR-PA
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 07/11/2006 :  07:03:48 AM  Show Profile  Visit AVRR-PA's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Hi, Martin -- I gave it a try. The results are wierdly interesting but not useful (so far). I typed out my sign in Corel Wordperfect, highlighted it and clicked "Copy". Then I opened Paint (which is the only graphic program I have right now) and clicked "Paste." What appeared was the logo for Wordperfect -- the old fashioned ink pen.

I'll try MS Word and see what I get - Microsoft programs are famous for making life hard for Corel users.

Don

AVRR-PA
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 07/11/2006 :  07:07:19 AM  Show Profile  Visit AVRR-PA's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Hi again, Martin --

Gee, it worked when I used Billy Gates Wordprocessor. Thanks for the suggestion. I'll go ahead and see if I can quick learn enough about Paint to make this work.

Don

spovlot
Engine Wiper

Posted - 07/11/2006 :  10:42:15 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by AVRR-PA

I've tried just experimenting -- trying to save the WP file as a .jpg (won't do it), trying to open it with Elements 3.0 or Paint (won't do it).

Help!

Don

Don,

I usually create my signs entirely in Word. Pasting the sign into Paint can distort the text somewhat. The word processor (WP) can handle resizing the text much better. Also, most word processors provide some basic drawing features such as boxes, circles, etc.

I start with writing the text and then copy/pasting it several times so that I can try and compare different options. The WP allows you to select font, size, color and background color very easily. Here is an example:

As I mentioned before, it is better to resize the text in the WP. The font size is calculated using a mathematical formula. So, you can create a 3pt font that still prints out clearly. The font size drop down only shows a standard set of sizes. But you can type in size in the font size box to get custom sizes. If you try to resize the text as an image in a graphics program, only the pixels are resized so you get a blob of color instead of clear text.

Does that help?

Scott Povlot
HO Scale - Central of Georgia Railway, Atlanta District
Piedmont Division, NMRA (Atlanta, Georgia) - http://www.piedmont-div.org

Dennis McCarthy
Engine Wiper

Premium Member

Posted - 07/11/2006 :  10:53:32 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Don,

Here are 2 tutorials on signs from the Craftsman's Corner forum:

How To: Excel for Signs by Marken & Signs made with your computer by WVRR.

Dennis

Bbags
Administrator

Premium Member

Posted - 07/11/2006 :  4:37:30 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi Don
Here is Chuck's tutorial which is posted in the Archives forum.

http://www.railroad-line.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=4824

John Bagley
Modeling the Alaska Railroad in HO in Wildwood Georgia.

RichBeau
Fireman

Posted - 08/09/2006 :  06:25:08 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Stumbled on this site last night as I was looking for something unusual in signage -- www.oodlesalootle.com

I had to do a double check because I just cannot believe we hadn't found this place before.

There some wonderful crate labels here. Check it out.
--Rich

belg
Fireman

Posted - 08/09/2006 :  06:59:28 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Rich, your right that is a great set of crate labels.

Could anyone steer me in the direction of some stuff for the fishing industry? Turn of the century 1900. Also looking for a crane which looks like a ships mast, manual power? thanks Pat

LVRR fan
Engine Wiper

Posted - 08/20/2006 :  10:47:22 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
This could be a repost but it has some really nice material:

http://www.labelcollector.com/

Gee...this sticky is getting very long...but it's great stuff!

Rick

badyin macfadyin
Section Hand

Posted - 09/07/2006 :  04:40:14 AM  Show Profile  Visit badyin macfadyin's Homepage  Reply with Quote
For those of us outside N. America modelling the present day, has anyone a source for modern billboards?
I've got a few from dribbleglass ut would like some real ones
Ian

Dutchman
Administrator

Premium Member

Posted - 09/09/2006 :  10:23:45 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Ian, sorry, I can't help you there.

Here are three images I recently scanned into the computer.

Page: of 43 Previous Topic: Its The Way The Resin Crumbles Topic Next Topic: Various shots and a question for Louis  
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Previous Page | Next Page
Jump To:
Railroad Line Forums © 2000-19 Railroad Line Co. Go To Top Of Page
Steam was generated in 36 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000