Railroad Line Forums - Signs For Structures
Railroad Line Forums
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register
Forgot Password?
  Home   Forums   Events Calendar   Sponsors   Support the RRLine   Guestbook   FAQ     Register
Active Topics | Active Polls | Resources | Members | Online Users | Live Chat | Avatar Legend | Search | Statistics
Photo Album | File Lister | File Library
[ Active Members: 2 | Anonymous Members: 0 | Guests: 63 ]  [ Total: 65 ]  [ Newest Member: rkovvur ]
 All Forums
 Model Railroad Forums
 Mike Chambers' Craftsman's Corner
 Signs For Structures
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Author Previous Topic: Its The Way The Resin Crumbles Topic Next Topic: Various shots and a question for Louis
Page: of 43

danagill
Section Hand

Posted - 04/08/2006 :  9:45:35 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
sickof seeing coke or pepsi on every layout want some thing different heres a soda sign found on ebay

dana gill

Bbags
Administrator

Premium Member

Posted - 04/26/2006 :  12:17:04 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I need help with a sign please!!!!!!

This is a sign that appears on the Nagley's store that I am using for the Service Station Challenge.

All I can read on the sign is Root Beer.
Here are a couple of pictures.
Has anyone ever seen this sign and do you know what brand it represents.
It is in all the pictures of the store that I have from the last 20 years.

John Bagley
Modeling the Alaska Railroad in HO in Wildwood Georgia.

nw tom
Section Hand

Posted - 04/26/2006 :  12:26:10 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I belive it is a Henry Weinhard's Root Beer sign. They also make the real deal out here in Oregon. Used to be known as Blitz, or Blitz-Weinhard.
Tom

Bbags
Administrator

Premium Member

Posted - 04/26/2006 :  12:51:22 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by nw tom

I belive it is a Henry Weinhard's Root Beer sign. They also make the real deal out here in Oregon. Used to be known as Blitz, or Blitz-Weinhard.
Tom

Wow Tom!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

That was quick and right on the money.
Many thanks.
I was afraid that it was something local to Alaska.

I found this picture using Google and while not straight on it is definitely the same sign.

John Bagley

nalmeida
Fireman

Posted - 04/26/2006 :  6:55:47 PM  Show Profile  Visit nalmeida's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I tried some perspective correction:

nw tom
Section Hand

Posted - 04/26/2006 :  8:24:20 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
John,
Glad to have something to contribute to the group. I'll dig around and see if I can come up with some signs or labels. It was quite the joke in Portland that we had a beer named Blitz when I was much younger.
Tom

Bbags
Administrator

Premium Member

Posted - 04/27/2006 :  09:22:14 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks again Tom for finding the sign for me and also thanks Nelson for adjusting the picture.
I want to have this sign on the structure for over the years this sign has remained a constant on the building.

John Bagley

smason2
Fireman

Posted - 05/19/2006 :  07:34:10 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi folks,

I'm not sure if it has been mentioned in this thread, but I'm wondering what program folks are using to make signs.

My oldest daughter has been reproducing signs for my using photoshop (no scanner), but has been having trouble with pixelation around the edges of the letters.

Any help and advise would be greatly appreciated.

Scott

main street
Section Hand

Posted - 05/19/2006 :  11:37:59 AM  Show Profile  Visit main street's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Scott,

I have the same question. I think the answer involves "resampling" the image, which I assume has been downloaded from the internet. Internet images have approx. 72 "dots" per inch. Photoshop will allow you to increase to 300 or more "dots" per inch, thus, I assume, reducing the size of the dots so they are less noticeable. This is especially important when applying perspective correction.

I am by no means an expert in photoshop, so hope that someone who has more experience will comment. It would be useful to have a procedure to follow that leads to the highest achievable quality of sign image.

Bruce
www.mainstreet-heritage.com

NBandS
Section Hand

Premium Member

Posted - 05/19/2006 :  4:13:39 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Bruce is correct that Photoshop (and most other graphics programs) can resample to 300 dpi.

However, if you keep the same _linear_ dimensions (say 2” as a round number) and resample the image to 300 dpi, you’ll get a fuzzier image—think of the resampling as plugging in four pixels where one used to be. A sharp boundary in the original (like a pure black line on a pure white background) will be smeared to gray in the resampled image. The change from black to white is extended over several pixels, instead of happening from one pixel to the next.

You can keep the same sharpness as the original this way (these commands are for Photoshop CS):
• Click on IMAGE | IMAGE SIZE
• Note the _pixel_ dimensions of the image (the top boxes) as well as its resolution in pixels per inch (the bottom box).
• Be sure the CONSTRAIN PROPORTIONS checkbox is checked
• Change the resolution to 300 dpi by typing “300” [without the quotation marks] into the RESOLUTION box. The pixel dimensions in the top boxes will change
• Change the _pixel_ dimensions back to their original values by typing one of the values into the appropriate box—since you have constrained the image proportions, the other value will change as well

The result is a 300 dpi image with the same pixel dimensions as the 72 dpi original.

Of course, you don’t get something for nothing: that 300 dpi image is only 24% as large as the original in _linear_ dimensions (72/300=0.24). Here scale works in our favor. If the original 72dpi image was 2” wide, the resampled 300 dpi image will be about 1/2” wide actual dimension and 3-1/2 scale feet wide in HO scale.

A number of algorithms can improve software’s ability to extract information from a low density image, but it's tough to get information out of the image that wasn’t there to begin with. This link provides details on some of them—I happen to be partial to Genuine Fractals.

http://www.cambridgeincolour.com/tutorials/digital-photo-enlargement.htm

postalkarl
Fireman

Posted - 05/19/2006 :  4:38:39 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Scott:

Talk to Frank B. I believe he uses Corel Draw. But I don't know what version.

Karl S.

smason2
Fireman

Posted - 05/19/2006 :  10:16:10 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks guys.

Scott

Dick Kuepper
Fireman

Posted - 05/20/2006 :  06:46:17 AM  Show Profile  Visit Dick Kuepper's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Along these same lines, what program will produce effective curved lettering (for a herald)? I used MS Publisher for the one below, but the letters don't appear to be the same size or spacing. I get the same result using Power Point.

Thanks for any help.

ibflattop
Engine Wiper

Posted - 05/20/2006 :  07:05:45 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Sick of seeing Pepsi on our layouts! Thats the only thing us Northern Boys Drink!!!!!
It was cool to see the Frostee Rootbeer sign. What about a Dads Rootbeer? Kevin

Dick Kuepper
Fireman

Posted - 05/20/2006 :  08:23:14 AM  Show Profile  Visit Dick Kuepper's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Dads Rootbeer, comin' right up
http://images.google.com/images?sourceid=navclient&ie=UTF-8&rls=DGUS,DGUS:2006-16,DGUS:en&q=dad%20root%20beer&sa=N&tab=wi

If that's too long, just enter "dad root beer" in Google images

Page: of 43 Previous Topic: Its The Way The Resin Crumbles Topic Next Topic: Various shots and a question for Louis  
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Previous Page | Next Page
Jump To:
Railroad Line Forums © 2000-19 Railroad Line Co. Go To Top Of Page
Steam was generated in 0.45 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000