Railroad Line Forums - Signs For Structures
Railroad Line Forums
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register
Forgot Password?
  Home   Forums   Events Calendar   Sponsors   Support the RRLine   Guestbook   FAQ     Register
Active Topics | Active Polls | Resources | Members | Online Users | Live Chat | Avatar Legend | Search | Statistics
Photo Album | File Lister | File Library
[ Active Members: 1 | Anonymous Members: 0 | Guests: 109 ]  [ Total: 110 ]  [ Newest Member: Bigbandito ]
 All Forums
 Model Railroad Forums
 Mike Chambers' Craftsman's Corner
 Signs For Structures
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Author Previous Topic: Its The Way The Resin Crumbles Topic Next Topic: Various shots and a question for Louis
Page: of 43

Bbags
Administrator

Premium Member

Posted - 07/07/2005 :  06:49:17 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Wow!!!!!!!!!!!!
Thanks Karl.
This thread is turning into a pot of gold for new signs.

John Bagley
Modeling the Alaska Railroad in HO in Wildwood Georgia.

jknapp
Fireman

Posted - 07/07/2005 :  07:50:47 AM  Show Profile  Visit jknapp's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Hey Karl....those signs are great! I especially like the "Knapp's" one! I'll definitely have to use that in some form on my layout (....for people who didn't notice, that's my last name).

MikeC
Administrator

Premium Member

Posted - 07/07/2005 :  09:40:33 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Okay, I chip in with some....

Tabooma County Rwy
Fireman

Posted - 07/07/2005 :  10:58:29 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Mike,

I've got some other Carter's signs in my folder (Carter's Ink, Carter's Little Liver Pills, etc), but I had never seen the one you posted. I'll have to add it to my "library" of signs. Thanks for posting it!

mikethetrainman
Fireman

Posted - 07/07/2005 :  11:43:47 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
THanks Karl and MikeC for more signs. I will have to go see what I can kind in my signs folder to post.

Mike Mace
Northern Division of the Santa Fe

leeflan
Fireman

Posted - 07/07/2005 :  11:47:46 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi Gang,

Here are a few additions to the sign collection. Since I model 1957, they might be a bit modern for some of you, but I hope you enjoy them anyway.

These can be used on the sides of buildings, in windows, or along the roadside, maybe leading up to a cafe.

In the "roadside" era, billboards can really set the year, especially car billboards. That way, non-railroad visitors will know at once what year it is.

MikeC
Administrator

Premium Member

Posted - 07/07/2005 :  1:46:50 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Here are a few more from my collection...

postalkarl
Fireman

Posted - 07/10/2005 :  4:06:34 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi Guys:

Some nice stuff don't stop now keep em comming. I'll see if I can't find some really cool ones ok.

Karl S.

jatravia
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 07/10/2005 :  9:39:45 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I am not sure if this guy, James A. Powell, is a member here or not or if anyone here knows his site http://www.trevinocircle.com/wtw.asp but his page, http://www.trevinocircle.com/adsigns.asp has some great signs.

Joe <><

Darryl L Huffman
Engine Wiper

Posted - 07/10/2005 :  10:35:31 PM  Show Profile  Visit Darryl L Huffman's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Desperate Enterprises has a large number of signs on their website, plus they will send you a free catalog thereby giving you a large number to cut out. free

http://www.desperate.com

B.J. Summer wrote a book called Antique & Contemporary Advertsing Memorabilia that has about 1,500 old signs in it.

Michael Bruner has a few books, including Encyclopedia of Porcelain Enamel Advertising that has 1,000 signs in each book.

I like the glossy premium paper signs in the books for representing metal signs. I use these for "patching" roofs, walls, and fences.

I like the ones I print out for specialized signs.

The Epson line of printers such as R200 and C66 use inks that will not run when wet. Great for signs.

Ebay has a section for advertising. I search that section using the word ad and along the left they break the category of signs down by genre.

I find so many signs these days that I can't keep track of them all. But I have my favorites.

A google search for "advertising" will bring up lots of links.

Download Attachment: cat.jpg
77.8 KB

postalkarl
Fireman

Posted - 07/11/2005 :  03:04:58 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Darryl:

Thanks for the info. I have most of these books and many more plus a huge collection from E-bay and many others sources such as originals. I used to manufacture signs for Model Railroaders. I stopped about 7 or 8 years ago as there was no longer any profit in it. At any rate there is plenty of stuff out there if you know where to look.

Karl S

Darryl L Huffman
Engine Wiper

Posted - 07/11/2005 :  04:10:16 AM  Show Profile  Visit Darryl L Huffman's Homepage  Reply with Quote
The first message in this thread mention a salmon can label.

Here is a link to bunches of them:

http://www.library.ubc.ca/spcoll/displays/salmon.html

n/a
deleted

Posted - 07/11/2005 :  05:34:24 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by postalkarl

HI All;

Here's a sign I thought everyone might enjoy.

Karl S

...Garberville! That's the pot capitol of the USA...or at least California.You can get a contact high, by just driving by.

Marc

n/a
deleted

Posted - 07/11/2005 :  05:39:01 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
On the subject of all these great signs, I was wondering how you all went about doing painted in signs/advertisements on the sides of buildings. It looks like some of the finscale kit projects that have been posted in this forum have had them. Are thes dine with adhesive stencils?

Marc

RodH
Engine Wiper

Posted - 07/11/2005 :  07:34:23 AM  Show Profile  Visit RodH's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by marc_reusser

On the subject of all these great signs, I was wondering how you all went about doing painted in signs/advertisements on the sides of buildings. Marc

I'll second that. I would like some help with signs on brickwork. Are they stencils or somehow stuck on and moulded over the brick?

Rod Hutchinson
Growing Old Disgracefully
Australia

Page: of 43 Previous Topic: Its The Way The Resin Crumbles Topic Next Topic: Various shots and a question for Louis  
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Previous Page | Next Page
Jump To:
Railroad Line Forums © 2000-19 Railroad Line Co. Go To Top Of Page
Steam was generated in 1.19 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000