Railroad Line Forums - Signs For Structures
Railroad Line Forums
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register
Forgot Password?
  Home   Forums   Events Calendar   Sponsors   Support the RRLine   Guestbook   FAQ     Register
Active Topics | Active Polls | Resources | Members | Online Users | Live Chat | Avatar Legend | Search | Statistics
Photo Album | File Lister | File Library
[ Active Members: 2 | Anonymous Members: 0 | Guests: 120 ]  [ Total: 122 ]  [ Newest Member: Bigbandito ]
 All Forums
 Model Railroad Forums
 Mike Chambers' Craftsman's Corner
 Signs For Structures
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Author Previous Topic: Its The Way The Resin Crumbles Topic Next Topic: Various shots and a question for Louis
Page: of 43

SteveW
Engine Wiper

Posted - 08/18/2005 :  01:28:17 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Vance, Angela and Bruce,

As I stated above the solution is turning off the "feature" that downloads graphics on AOL as a .ART format. These files are smaller and thus they transfer more quickly (Especially important for AOL which has a large number of dial-up subscribers). Unfortunately I no longer have a copy of AOL on my machine, so can't lead you to the specific window etc. However it is part of their setup page. It is listed as an option to more rapidly download graphics or words to that effect. I dumped AOL at version 6.0 and they are up to 9.0 now but I suspect careful searching the setup (or may be the personalize) page or similar pages will find this option. Change it to permit the native format of the graphics file to download. Searching for graphics or .art might speed the search. I went through this problem several years ago and it drove me crazy until I found this setup change.

Tomorrow night I'm visiting my brother who has AOL and I might be able to explore on his machine and find the specific stroke by stroke fix. It so I'll post the fix here.

After the fix is made it would be better to re-download any graphics to escape the loss of quality associated with the compression algorithm.

main street
Section Hand

Posted - 08/18/2005 :  01:29:01 AM  Show Profile  Visit main street's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I thanked Vance this morning via e-mail and was successful in opening the files with the aol browser.
Angela, I did have to check a box that told windows to open all .art files with aol. But from there on clicking open worked flawlessly. When saving as .jpg, as I had already renamed the files as .jpg's, I got a little box asking about replacing the existing file--just click yes.

Steve, could you please expand upon your comments. The only way, it seems, to learn about this stuff is from others. There are no books and even aol's help desk had no idea how to address this problem.

So, thanks again, Vance, for your help. Finally I can now access a bunch of photos of theatre facades that were research for a future kit.

Bruce West
Main Street Heritage Models

Dutchman
Administrator

Premium Member

Posted - 08/18/2005 :  06:29:10 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Bruce,
I'm glad that Vance had the fix for you guys. I have all the original Slater pictures (most in larger sizes also). If you ever need any of them let me know via e-mail or PM. I also have some photos of the building that I didn't post here on the Forum.

SteveW
Engine Wiper

Posted - 08/18/2005 :  08:55:18 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Bruce,

In an attempt to further explain what I was say I researched and found the following discussion that both explains the .art format and most importantly how to say goodbye to it. Unfortunately a photo that you have in this format has suffered degradation as a result of the aol compression of the image and converting back to a .jpg will only further degrade it. If at all possible the best course of action is to correct the problem at its source by turning off the aol graphics compression and erasing the temporary internet files on your computer. Then re-download the image. The following will explain it better

“AOL's servers by default further compress JPEGs and GIFs (image formats which are already compressed) into their file format with the extension .ART. The ART format compresses images to a fraction of their former file size. This is done to speed up download times, but results in significant image quality degradation that the artist or web designer never intended. In reality download time is not significantly reduced, and carefully designed graphics end up looking like they were left out in the rain overnight. Furthermore, the ART file format is essentially unrecognized and undocumented. That makes it difficult to find out important information like what they are, how to turn them off, or why they are incompatible with every image editor and paint program out there.

It is possible to get around the ART compression problem. The easiest way is to use another browser, like Internet Explorer or Netscape. Another browser can be run while AOL is used simply for Internet access. Using any other ISP works too. At this point, deleting your Temporary Internet Files prevents ART files from reappearing when viewing recently visited sites. You can also turn off AOL's compression. The method varies a little between versions of AOL.

To turn off AOL graphics compression:
1. Click "Settings" (or "My AOL" in earlier versions) in the menu bar, then select "Preferences."
2. Click "WWW."
3. Select the "Web Graphics" tab.
4. Select "Never Compress Graphics" (or uncheck "Use Compressed Graphics" in earlier versions)
5. Click "OK" and close the window.

To delete your Temporary Internet Files:
(in order to keep ART files from reappearing when viewing recently visited sites)
1. Click "My AOL" or "Settings" in the menu bar, then select "Preferences."
2. Click "WWW."
3. On the "General" tab, under "Temporary Internet Files," click "Delete Files."
4. Check "Delete All Offline Content" (varies in earlier versions)
5. Click "OK."”

I hope this makes .art an unpleasant memory.

angelanzus
Engine Wiper

Posted - 08/18/2005 :  09:17:21 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Steve, thank you so much for your help with the .ART problem. I will check my computer tonight as soon as I get home and change that and delete the old files as you suggest etc.

Bruce you said "I have all the original Slater pictures (most in larger sizes also). If you ever need any of them let me know via e-mail or PM. I also have some photos of the building that I didn't post here on the Forum." I'd love to see those pictures please if you would send them to me off list. Do I need to send you my email address or can you get it form the forum?
Angela

Dutchman
Administrator

Premium Member

Posted - 08/18/2005 :  11:05:06 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Angela,
I have trouble attaching files if I use the e-mail function here on the fourm. Please PM or e-mail me your e-mail address.

main street
Section Hand

Posted - 08/21/2005 :  11:32:52 AM  Show Profile  Visit main street's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Steve,
I looked at the Web Graphics tab and discovered that the never compress graphics was checked. I may well have made the change and forgotten about it. I do appreciate your help with unlocking the earlier saved images, and passing on instructions of how to stay clear of the .art mess.

Bruce (Dutchman). Thanks for the offer regarding the pictures. If I need them I will accept the offer. It is fun to contemplate scratch building this structure, but it may never get beyond the drawing stage.

Speaking of scratch building the cockeyed building, both ETinBH and BBags were undertaking this project and Eliott actually had made a lot of progress. Did either of you finish?

And what ever happened to the building? Probably gone by now.

Bruce
www.mainstreet-heritage.com

Tombanjo
Engine Wiper

Posted - 08/21/2005 :  11:38:54 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Heres a sign from the station office in the Shelburne (VT) Museum

Dave

Peterpools
Engineer

Posted - 08/27/2005 :  10:01:32 PM  Show Profile  Visit Peterpools's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Hi All
Some really nice colorful and useful signs.

Edited by - Peterpools on 08/27/2005 10:03:11 PM

Peterpools
Engineer

Posted - 08/27/2005 :  10:06:29 PM  Show Profile  Visit Peterpools's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Hi Guys
Just a few more neat signs

paulbrockatsf
Fireman

Posted - 08/30/2005 :  10:30:05 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote

I have really enjoyed this thread & I have been able to file a lot of good signs for later use.

Here is a couple that I have collected over the years. Sorry if there are duplicates. There has been so many posted that I have forgotten which ones were posted.

Paul B

paulbrockatsf
Fireman

Posted - 08/30/2005 :  10:46:41 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote

a couple more ....

k9wrangler
Engineer

Posted - 09/06/2005 :  08:46:23 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
MANY Signs, mostly auto/gasoline station related at this sight.

http://www.vcsigns.com/index.htm

Karl Scribner
Sunfield Twp. Michigan
H.M.F.I.C
Kentucky Southern Railway
The Spartan Line

Bbags
Administrator

Premium Member

Posted - 09/06/2005 :  12:26:33 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by main street

Steve,
Speaking of scratch building the cockeyed building, both ETinBH and BBags were undertaking this project and Eliott actually had made a lot of progress. Did either of you finish?

And what ever happened to the building? Probably gone by now.

Bruce,

I missed this until today.
Unfortunately, I never got any farther with my project due to moving to Georgia and other projects.
Some day I still plan to build it and actually have saved the drawing that you posted which will probably be the version I actually build.
Now I just need to find some time.

I think Bruce posted that they were taking the structure down the last time he visited.

John Bagley
Modeling the Alaska Railroad in HO in Wildwood Georgia.

ETinBH
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 09/06/2005 :  8:33:01 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Alas, I decided that the structure, while interesting from the front and immediate rear presented a lot of empty space issues. Under that roof are a lot of square feet of wasted space and I can't see building it for that reason. I still have all the windows and doors and walls - there are just apart.

Elliott

Page: of 43 Previous Topic: Its The Way The Resin Crumbles Topic Next Topic: Various shots and a question for Louis  
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Previous Page | Next Page
Jump To:
Railroad Line Forums © 2000-19 Railroad Line Co. Go To Top Of Page
Steam was generated in 0.47 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000