Railroad Line Forums - Signs For Structures
Railroad Line Forums
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register
Forgot Password?
  Home   Forums   Events Calendar   Sponsors   Support the RRLine   Guestbook   FAQ     Register
Active Topics | Active Polls | Resources | Members | Online Users | Live Chat | Avatar Legend | Search | Statistics
Photo Album | File Lister | File Library
[ Active Members: 1 | Anonymous Members: 0 | Guests: 93 ]  [ Total: 94 ]  [ Newest Member: Bigbandito ]
 All Forums
 Model Railroad Forums
 Mike Chambers' Craftsman's Corner
 Signs For Structures
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Author Previous Topic: Its The Way The Resin Crumbles Topic Next Topic: Various shots and a question for Louis
Page: of 43

Thorn Creek and Western
Fireman

Posted - 08/14/2005 :  3:14:18 PM  Show Profile  Visit Thorn Creek and Western's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by angelanzus

Tell me, the coppertone one - what year did it come out? I'm modeling in the 50's and would love to use it if that is the right era.

Angela, alas, the Coppertone kid appeared only in the early sixties. See: http://www.tvacres.com/admascots_coppertone.htm

quote:

Also, can anyone tell me how to convert a gif or bmp image to jpeg?

There are lots of ways to do it, but may I suggest a program I use called ThumbsPlus. It lets you see all your picture files as, well, thumbs, but it also lets you do many photoshop-type operations and conversions. You can download it for free for about a month to see how you like it.
-Dave

-Dave

angelanzus
Engine Wiper

Posted - 08/15/2005 :  08:26:23 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks Dave, I'll try Thumbsplus. Pity about the Coppertone advertisement though, I like that one.
Angela

Pygar
Engine Wiper

Posted - 08/15/2005 :  8:20:58 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Irfanview ( www.irfanview.com ) is great for conversions and is also free. It handles darn near every format of image, sound, and video if you get the plugins pack, and is my default player for *everything*.

main street
Section Hand

Posted - 08/16/2005 :  01:10:28 AM  Show Profile  Visit main street's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I have been following these comments about opening difficult pictures. All of the pictures I saved from this forum regarding the Slater (Cockeyed) building are not openable using any of these suggestions. I have renamed them as suggested with .jpg. If I try to open them in photoshop or fax viewer I get a message that the "marker" is not recognized. Maybe there is something else that needs renaming? Any suggestions would be really appreciated.

Oh--I'm using a Dell with XP. Great computer--this photo thing is the only glitch. I keep wondering if the photo viewer that came with the 'puter--Dell Image manager or something--may be the problem. It had a 60 day trial and I didn't renew it. Could they have set it up so anything saved while that was operating would be "hijacked", thus forcing you to buy the product?

I have recently downloaded photos, including signs from this thread, so I know the image capture is working.

Thanks for any help.

Bruce
www.mainstreet-heritage.com

Edited by - main street on 08/16/2005 01:13:45 AM

TrainsHO
Engine Wiper

Posted - 08/16/2005 :  01:50:07 AM  Show Profile  Visit TrainsHO's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Bruce where is this picture you can't open???
Vance

Vance
www.fsmtrees.com
www.trainsho.com

main street
Section Hand

Posted - 08/16/2005 :  02:12:04 AM  Show Profile  Visit main street's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Vance,
They reside, I think, on my hard drive. I had right clicked on them and saved into the "my pictures" folder. I may have saved them as a bitmap but I don't recall now. When I revisited the folder at a later date to open them, they were not openable.

They have been renamed with .jpg added to the name as suggested, but something is still amiss. Maybe something else has to be "renamed?"

Bruce

TrainsHO
Engine Wiper

Posted - 08/16/2005 :  02:19:38 AM  Show Profile  Visit TrainsHO's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Bruce can you send me one of the pictures?? I can most likely tell you what is wrong with it then. Open an email and attach it to the email.
mr614@direcway.com

Vance
www.fsmtrees.com
www.trainsho.com

angelanzus
Engine Wiper

Posted - 08/16/2005 :  2:20:23 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Bruce, I too have a Dell with XP and those are exactly the problems I had. I finally opened my pictures by putting them in an email to my work and opened them there on that computer, also a Dell but it uses Windows 2000 and doesn't have the fax/viewer. I will be very interested in the answers to our dilema.
Angela

TrainsHO
Engine Wiper

Posted - 08/16/2005 :  2:30:28 PM  Show Profile  Visit TrainsHO's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Angela
Can you get me one of these pictures so that I can see what the problem is on opening them

Vance
www.fsmtrees.com
www.trainsho.com

SteveW
Engine Wiper

Posted - 08/16/2005 :  8:59:08 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Angela and Bruce:

Are you connected to the internet via AOL? I had a similar problem when got my present machine and was still using AOL. There is a setting in the AOL software that causes the computer to save pictures in the .ART format. It faster for them and a problem for you. There is/was a setting in the properties/options window in their software to change this. When I changed it the problem went away. I have since change to a DSL connection and this is a fadding memory. I hope this helps.

main street
Section Hand

Posted - 08/17/2005 :  01:31:24 AM  Show Profile  Visit main street's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Angela (and Vance),

I have just sent one of the "missing" pictures to an email to Vance. Perhaps he can help get to the bottom of this. I am on aol and have a number of saved paintings that are "missing" that I would be like to recover.

I was able to save again the Slater building pictures from this forum by right clicking, etc. As aol occasionally updates their software, it may be that they fixed the problem. We are certainly not alone with this, me thinks.

Vance, I do hope you are successful in opening the file that I forwarded.

Bruce

TrainsHO
Engine Wiper

Posted - 08/17/2005 :  04:30:29 AM  Show Profile  Visit TrainsHO's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Bruce
I got it open, I sent you and email about them. They are .art pictures. Some of AOL's junk.

Vance
www.fsmtrees.com
www.trainsho.com

TrainsHO
Engine Wiper

Posted - 08/17/2005 :  1:33:42 PM  Show Profile  Visit TrainsHO's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Hello ANGELA

It is a ( .art) picture from AOL. They say that you can right click on it and click open with and select AOL Browser and you can open it there.
Once you get it open, you right click and select save as Making sure that you select (.jpg ) and save it again
If this doesn't work for you then email me and I will give you the other ways to open it.
It fixed Bruce's problem with the pictures on AOL
Vance

Vance
www.fsmtrees.com
www.trainsho.com

SteveW
Engine Wiper

Posted - 08/17/2005 :  9:44:02 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
While Vance's solution will work, it is far better to change your AOL setup to eliminate .ART files altogether. Remember the act of saving the .ART file as a .JPG will cause some more loss of image quality (albeit small) in an already degraded image (the.ART file). Directly saving the image off the net will prevent this loss of image quality since one is only transferring a file and not applying the .JPEG compression algorithm.

Hope this helps.

TrainsHO
Engine Wiper

Posted - 08/17/2005 :  9:48:47 PM  Show Profile  Visit TrainsHO's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Thanks Steve
Please tell them what they need to know or do for this. They have been working at it for a week. I think I was the only one that was able to open one of them. I don't have AOL and never have so I don't know a thing about it.
Thanks

Vance
www.fsmtrees.com
www.trainsho.com

Page: of 43 Previous Topic: Its The Way The Resin Crumbles Topic Next Topic: Various shots and a question for Louis  
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Previous Page | Next Page
Jump To:
Railroad Line Forums © 2000-19 Railroad Line Co. Go To Top Of Page
Steam was generated in 1.45 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000