Railroad Line Forums - L&WS Construction Series
Railroad Line Forums
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register
Forgot Password?
  Home   Forums   Events Calendar   Sponsors   Support the RRLine   Guestbook   FAQ     Register
Active Topics | Active Polls | Resources | Members | Online Users | Live Chat | Avatar Legend | Search | Statistics
Photo Album | File Lister | File Library
[ Active Members: 7 | Anonymous Members: 0 | Guests: 96 ]  [ Total: 103 ]  [ Newest Member: jmart4173 ]
 All Forums
 Model Railroad Forums
 Model Railroad Construction
 L&WS Construction Series
Next Page
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Author Previous Topic: The MA&Gs Peoples Avenue Yard Project Topic Next Topic: Layout Room Flooring Options - Over Concrete
Page: of 28

leeflan
Fireman

Posted - 03/15/2005 :  4:45:44 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi All,

Here's the start of my humble contribution to the Construction Forum showing the progress on the Louisville & Wadley Southern Railroad, a 10 mile Georgia short line in HO scale.

This version of the L&WS got started after I became rather bored and disaffected with my previous layout, the Georgia Southern (featured in April 2001 MR), a fictitious Georgia mainline patterned after the Georgia Railroad. Simple reason: lack of space to effectively model mainline operation. So it was back to the third version of the L&WS.

When I started the new layout, I had a couple of friends who asked me to document the construction process, which I did. Here's a summary of the process to date.

Here's the trackplan and room layout. As you can see, the room is quite "spatially challenged," less than 10' x 10'. The Louisville portion of the plan is a modified 4' x 8' John Armstrong plan from the book 101 Trackplans, and approximates the actual trackage at Louisville (sort of, kinda). I had originally planned for the Wadley section to approximate the trackage at Wadley, but when I laid out the track, it didn't work right, so I changed it.

After demo on the old Georgia Southern, I gave the room a thorough going over. I cleaned the carpets, painted the walls, and rearranged the lighting. I also sealed off one of the windows in the corner. Notice that I painted the sky background directly on the walls, with the blue fading down to white at the "horizon." In a larger space I would have mounted the backdrop.

There's nothing fancy about the benchwork; just plain ol' L-girder salvaged from the GS. The only difference is that the legs fold (for when I move again), and the joists are laid flat to provide more support for the Styrofoam sub-roadbed.

Speaking of foam, here is the first layer of foam glued onto the roadbed. I use 1" sheets of foam stacked and laminated 3 layers thick. This is the second layout on which I've used foam for the sub-roadbed and I just love it!

The third and final layer is being laminated. I use a foam compatible glue by 3M for laminating the layers. My collection of RR books weight the layers until the adhesive dries.

OK, the foam is all down and the backdrop is finished. I used a photo of some "Georgia pines" I took in Georgia for the tree backdrop. Again, if I had a larger space, I might paint the backdrop as I have on other layouts, but I've never been able to paint trees as good as those.

The track is all down and wired. I use Walthers Code 83 Shinohara track on Woodland Scenics N scale foam bed, for a thinner profile. I glued the roaqd bed to the foam and the track to the roadbed using silicone adhesive caulk. All turnouts are hand-thrown using Caboose Industries high-level switch stands.

This is my entire control panel! One of the things I hated about the old days was wiring for standard cab control; toggle switches, terminal strips, control panels. To me, that's ! So I was an early convert to DCC, even though I run only one train, simply because the wiring is so simple even I can do it. I started with the MRC Command 2000 but now I use the more advanced NCE ProCab unit. The reason: SOUND!

Here's my progress as of February 2005. The Wadley section is about 50% finished, with all the rough scenery in place. The town is pretty much finished and detailed, now I need to start working on the engine terminal. Most of the structures for the Louisville section have been completed.

A slightly different view showing a bit more of the layout on the right of the Louisville section. BTW, the structures for the pulpwood yard you see in the track plan I scratchbuilt in 1967 from an article in the March 1966 MR; they're the oldest anything on the layout.

Here's a shot of downtown Wadley before I installed the grade crossings. I didn't try to model the real Wadley, but rather capture the flavor of a typical small Southern town. I wanted it to look "lived in," but not decrepit. And, yes, the lack of space forced me to resort to "ye olde mirror" trick to create the illusion that the layout extends beyound the wall. The tall water tower helps disguise the corner.

Here's an overview with labels for the various structures I've used for Wadley; basically a combination of simple plastic to craftsman type kits, with a lot of kitbashing. The two foreground tracks are my "manually interactive visual staging tracks." OK, fiddle yard. The L&WS mainline branches off to the right behind the mixed train.

Here's a Georgia Southern RR freight heading east toward Augusta. I decided to keep using the GaSo on the new layout as I had a lot of custom painted and decaled (Rail Graphics) equipment. The spin: GaSo has trackage rights over the CofG through Wadley. The well traveled GS Geep was on the cover of the Apr 2001 MR.

Baldwin Meets EMD. An L&WS mixed train meets a CofG freight headed east toward Savannah. The 2-8-0 is an old brass PFM Ma&Pa prototype, and it's the second oldest anything on the layout. But it's also the most technologically advanced...it has SOUND! I know there are mixed feelings about sound, but I gotta tell ya, for this veteran modeler, it makes all the difference in the world. It is absolutely awesome.

Anyway, that's about it for now and you're up to date. I'll continue the series if you like; just lemme know.

Regards,

Edited by - Bbags on 03/16/2005 09:45:10 AM

Dutchman
Administrator

Premium Member

Posted - 03/15/2005 :  5:36:03 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Steve,
You can put me down for "Keep those updates coming"!

Bruce

Modeling the railroads of the Jersey Highlands in HO and the logging railroads of Pennsylvania in HOn3

Rick
Administrator

Premium Member

Posted - 03/15/2005 :  6:50:57 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I'll second it. Keep'em coming. Great looking layout.

As you think, so will you be.

Bbags
Administrator

Premium Member

Posted - 03/15/2005 :  7:02:10 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Steve,
Great job of documenting your progress.
As I am starting a layout this will come in very handy for me.
I will also make this a sticky so that it will always appear near the top of the threads in the Model Railroad Construction forum.
This is a not so subtle hint for you to keep adding to this thread whenever you can,

John Bagley
Modeling the Alaska Railroad in HO in Wildwood Georgia.

Bbags
Administrator

Premium Member

Posted - 03/16/2005 :  10:46:52 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
My apologies to Steve any anyone else who tried to post in this thread yesterday.
In trying to make the thread a sticky I somehow locked the thread instead.
I have now unlocked the thread and made it a sticky.
So the thread is open and waiting for posts.

John Bagley

MikeC
Administrator

Premium Member

Posted - 03/16/2005 :  11:20:52 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
This is very impressive, Steve! I noticed the Feb 2005 date in one of the captions. When did you start construction on this? Or in other words, how long has it taken you to reach the point you're at now?

Also, your comments about DCC really hit home with me. On my other layouts, I never ran more than one train at a time (or even wanted to) since it was just just me. But I always hated (still do!) the wiring even for simple operations. And that's the main reason I'm interested in making the switch to DCC for my current layout. It appears to be so simple even I can do it - with a minimum of wear and tear on both my nerves and my knee joints.

davidray
Engine Wiper

Posted - 03/16/2005 :  11:28:38 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I like the jarring transition between pics 5 and 6. Reminded me of the old cartoon of the professor explaining the steps to solve an equation and step 6 would be, "then a miracle occurs and . . .". Poof! Instant layout.

Thanks for posting a nicely done tutorial. Looking forward to more pics and details.

David Ray
Cumming, Georgia, USA

leeflan
Fireman

Posted - 03/16/2005 :  12:15:01 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hey, Mike,

Let's see, I started demo on the old layout in January 2003 and started room prep around February. I had to take a six-month modeling hiatus for business reasons, so I guess the total construction time has been around 18 months or so. Of course, that includes a BIG chunk of time building the cotton mill complex.

I know what you mean about the wiring. I was so amazed when wiring both the current and previous layouts that I was able to get all the wiring done in one evening and have everything work right the first time, including the MRC auto-reverse unit. And with the MRC Command 2000 on the old layout, I actually ran as a test, 5 different locos in 4 different trains at the same time. Really neat!

Regards,

racedirector
Engine Wiper

Posted - 03/16/2005 :  8:29:34 PM  Show Profile  Visit racedirector's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Wow! looking good Steve. Make my meager effort of documenting my RR construction look like I have been slacking. I'll definately be checking back!

Cheers

Bruce Nordstrand, Riverstone, NSW, Oz-stralia

Back in HO...and stayin there!

leeflan
Fireman

Posted - 03/17/2005 :  11:25:59 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Bruce,

Thanks for the kind words. I must say, though, if I hadn't had so much HO "stuff" (a lot of which I'm seriously emotionally attached to) I may well have started in On30 as well. Really awesome stuff! Maybe for my "retirement layout" when my eyes can't handle HO anymore.

Regards,

leeflan
Fireman

Posted - 03/21/2005 :  7:46:19 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi All,

Well, I managed to get started over the weekend on my depot for the Model Railroader kitbashing contest.

My two IHC Arlee depot kits arrived on Thursday. Friday I went to the LHS in Pasadena and stocked up on Grandt Line window and door castings and various odds and ends. Saturday, I called the new owner of Campbell Scale Models and ordered the corrugated for the new roof. (Interestingly, they work on the honor system . . . they send the order, I send a check. What a pleasure. ) While I was at it, I also ordered the corrugated for the Wadley enginehouse. I also went down to Kinkos to make some enlargements of the IHC instruction sheet for cutting and pasting.

Funny, I've done so much kitbashing over the years, that I look at this project almost intuitively, it's like I knew what I was going to do before the kits even came. The hard part, though, will be working up the actual "storyboard" for the construction photos and scripting out the process.

Anyhoo, we're off and running and we'll see what happens. Since this is technically part of the L&WS construction process, I'll post the pictures here (unless, of course, otherwise directed).

Regards,

Edited by - leeflan on 03/21/2005 7:48:55 PM

Bbags
Administrator

Premium Member

Posted - 03/21/2005 :  8:20:18 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Steve, it is your railroad and you can post any pictures in this thread that you desire.
I look forward to watching this project with great interest.

John Bagley

Peterpools
Engineer

Posted - 03/21/2005 :  10:52:41 PM  Show Profile  Visit Peterpools's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Steve
What a great set of progress / construction photographs. Please keep them coming. I'm finally beginning my new layout with my last start completely dismantled and in the dumpster. Will be posting when sub roadbed and track are done. My railroad is a small harbor terminal switching layout, so i'm not too far away from completing the track work. BTW, was your old MRC DCC set-up the Prodigy or Prodigy Advanced DCC system? I have a Digitrax Chief System and am seriously considering getting the new MRC Prodigy Advanced System, which has all the bells and whistles and is very user friendly.

Edited by - Peterpools on 03/21/2005 10:54:00 PM

Eddie Landreth
Fireman

Posted - 03/21/2005 :  11:24:31 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Beautiful work, Steve, you've got it down to an art form. I remember seeing your other layout in MR back in 2001 and can still remember specific scenes without even looking back at the mag (the statue in town, the freight coming around a curve). It made an impression then, and this new one makes one now as well. Looking forward to seeing more pictures of your progress.

Regards,

leeflan
Fireman

Posted - 03/22/2005 :  11:35:27 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hey All,

MR Kitbashing Contest:
Well, for my early morning tasks, I mocked up the instruction sheet for the depot, then made photocopies of the wall parts on the copier at the office. Both techniques were used frequently by Art Curren. I'll post pics as soon as I smooth them out.

Peter, my old DCC was the MRC Command 2000, the precursor of the Prodigy. It was a very basic unit that was great for getting the hang of DCC. I got the NCE unit on the recommendation of my LHS DCC maven as it had the bells & whistles and the Advance Prodigy hadn't been released at that time. But I certainly wouldn't hesitate on the MRC as I've used their products for more years than I can remember.

Eddie,thanks for remembering the old layout. It did have some pretty scenes, if I do say so myself. Here are a couple of pics for old times. The first is the inspiration pic, the second is my version of it on the old layout.

The station is a kitbash of two IHC Texaco gas stations, and tries to capture the flavor of two similar structures, the Stuckey's and an old "tourist camp" office and store. I also have some cabins kitbashed from a Classic Miniatures Red Light District kit. You can see these in a couple of the later progress shots above. Enjoy.

Regards,

Edited by - leeflan on 03/22/2005 4:20:16 PM

Dutchman
Administrator

Premium Member

Posted - 03/22/2005 :  5:00:15 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Steve,
Do you realize that someone actually making progress on a layout can cause severe anxiety in other Forum members?

Bruce

Modeling the railroads of the Jersey Highlands in HO and the logging railroads of Pennsylvania in HOn3

Edited by - Dutchman on 03/22/2005 5:00:49 PM

Page: of 28 Previous Topic: The MA&Gs Peoples Avenue Yard Project Topic Next Topic: Layout Room Flooring Options - Over Concrete  
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Next Page
Jump To:
Railroad Line Forums © 2000-17 Railroad Line Co. Go To Top Of Page
Steam was generated in 0.41 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000