Railroad Line Forums - Tools and tips for scratch building
Railroad Line Forums
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register
Forgot Password?
  Home   Forums   Events Calendar   Sponsors   Support the RRLine   Guestbook   FAQ     Register
Active Topics | Active Polls | Resources | Members | Online Users | Live Chat | Avatar Legend | Search | Statistics
Photo Album | File Lister | File Library
[ Active Members: 0 | Anonymous Members: 0 | Guests: 191 ]  [ Total: 191 ]  [ Newest Member: SandersReview ]
 All Forums
 Model Railroad Forums
 Startin' from Scratch
 Tools and tips for scratch building
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Author Previous Topic: Yard Office Interior, need help Topic Next Topic: The Tenement and others - Brammer Salvage 1-12-20
Page: of 12

Dutchman
Administrator

Premium Member

Posted - 11/02/2011 :  5:59:38 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Pretty neat clones of the NWSL tools, Dan.

Bruce

dantdbv
New Hire

Posted - 11/02/2011 :  6:01:01 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
My DanLongSander1

Happy Building
DanTDBV The Droid Building Viking

DanTDBV
The Droid Building Viking

Frederic Testard
Engineer

Premium Member

Posted - 11/02/2011 :  6:10:43 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Very good personnal made tools.

dantdbv
New Hire

Posted - 11/02/2011 :  6:12:50 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thank you very much Bruce.

Apart from the inspiration, the main reason for making them myself, is the total cost.

The Chop-It goes for about 23$. With shipping added, that is to about 42$. When it comes to Denmark you have to ad Taxes, VAT and PostDanmark's (That is the Danish mailing Company) Taxhandlingfee, then we end at about 81$. Way to much for me.

Happy building.

DanTDBV

Edited by - dantdbv on 11/02/2011 6:13:47 PM

dantdbv
New Hire

Posted - 11/02/2011 :  6:27:05 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Also thank you to you Frederic.

The greatest surprise for me, has been that they are actually so easy to build. Both sanders and the duplicutter has been used and they work. I don't know about the chopper, as I haven't used it yet. I hope it holds up.

My biggest holdup, has been the adjustable angle thing on the sander. I wanted something like the ones on the buyable ones. Suddenly I was struck by a KISS moment. 2 pieces of 3x15mm aluminium, screwed together with a tapped hole in the slider part.

DanTDBV

DaveInTheHat
Engine Wiper

Posted - 11/02/2011 :  11:26:48 PM  Show Profile  Visit DaveInTheHat's Homepage  Reply with Quote
That's pretty darn cool. Plus it's like its sturdy than store bought stuff.

https://public.fotki.com/DaveInTheHat/

https://www.facebook.com/daveinthehat/

dantdbv
New Hire

Posted - 11/11/2011 :  6:42:28 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Another homemade tool.

(Does he ever build any models?) Not at the moment. If I don't find a job by 1/7-2012 (That's first of July.), my income will be lowered and I will not be able to afford tools. So I buy and build what I can now, then I have the tools, when I can attack my kitstash.

This time it's a Electric toothbrush sander. The inspiration is from this site:

http://www.modellversium.de/tipps/1-werkzeuge/1-.html It's a German site.

Mostly I will let the pictures speak for them selves. I will just mention that the pieces of stick is hot glue mounted on the brush with CA glue. I have also mounted doublesided tape for carpets on a piece of wet and dry sandpaper before punching disks.

Cutting glue. The first official use of the DanChopper1

Nothing goes to waste.

Stubs

Scrape off

As the CA dries, make abrasive disks.

Punch disks

Peel of tape backing and attach on brush.

Voila, you are ready to sand.

Questions are welcome.

Happy building

DanTDBV

EM-1
Engine Wiper

Posted - 10/29/2013 :  04:09:04 AM  Show Profile  Visit EM-1's Homepage  Send EM-1 a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by DaveInTheHat

I've been playing with Legos a little.

WELL now we got a damn winner!!!!!! My daughter has been wanting Lego's for a few months, so. now is the time to nab those little LOL

EM-1
Engine Wiper

Posted - 10/29/2013 :  04:36:47 AM  Show Profile  Visit EM-1's Homepage  Send EM-1 a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
Well shop tools, guys, I gotto post some biggun's.....

First up?

Safety....

Fully STOCKED First Aid.... in Railroad style!

Then the big machines:

my Unimat Machine Lathe....With all needed surroundings to go with it....

Then:

Same Machine, set up in its Milling Machine "wear"....
This little machine, yes they cost a bit, BUT you can MAKE anything with them....Boilers, mill out side rods from metal I might add, EVEN turn metal round in shape, AND wood as well, I make my own "porch" spindles.....

Then.... You have storage, this is were it gets messy....

The double, cupola caboose, is for a customer. in the lettering he choose, looks good I think but not something I'd set out to do!

These shelves, are all aluminum....with rails integrated as part of them! They "round" 2 sides of that chimney....

The other side....

Then you got the REAL mess:

This "mess" is currently being cleaned up and organized all at the same time, as there is an expansioon going on, I found "new" un-used "space" hidden, behind a wall that had a "hole" just big enough to see in and its HUGE! 6 feet wide 7 foot 2 inches high, and aprox. 18 feet long!!!! SO, this mess, WILL be cleaned up once, I bust through asdd in a floor, and cover the "ceiling" with plastic, its insulation in the rafters for well self-explainitory....But the plastic to keep for getting "itchy" every time, in there.....And then the mess will clear out pretty quick as I have drawer organizers built to go into the "eves" of an attic, as this is just what this space is. has an "angled" ceiling, sort of....I'll be sure to make a post of the work!

BUT, if you look at this last picture, my real work bench "work horse" my Dremel, "Rotozip", made into a Flex Shaft Machine, suspended from the ceiling nearest my work bench.

Also notice, the work benches if seen are low to the ground, NOT standard height. Reason? Wall space! I wanted to mount as much as I possibly could to the walls and have had my shop sit up like that for 20 years if it stops there....The wall space, is used for all sorts of hanging things shelves, racks, you name it, I even hang stuff from the ceiling, like paint racks thats to sit on counter space, hangs upside down from the ceiling....I need to get pictures of this and show it.....

Edited by - EM-1 on 10/29/2013 04:41:49 AM

deemery
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 10/29/2013 :  10:33:28 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Dan, have you ever had problems with MDF warping? I built a 'drafting table cutting mat' on MDF, including gluing a framing square onto the MDF, and the darned MDF warped!

dave

Modeling 1890s (because the voices in my head told me to)

rlundy
Engine Wiper

Posted - 10/30/2013 :  10:03:20 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Some really great tips and tools here.Here is a few of the tools I use very often and wouldn't be without.

Good bar clamps, small machine clamps, small hand vices, chopper and pounce wheels for making nail holes and rivets.

A metal punch. This makes great looking industrial style lamp shades in all different sizes.

And my favorite a scroll saw. I use it for cutting door and window openings, making rafters and wall sections. I can cut a whole pile of rafters or even kit parts at one time or very thin material 1 piece at a time. This is the best timesaver I have.

Here's a few pics of my work room. I have workbenches for model railroading, RC plane building and Leather Carving. I also have my most important tool here as well. My computer.

Newcastle Kid
Engine Wiper

Posted - 10/31/2013 :  5:24:06 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Looks like an extensive Al Stohlman influence there.
I still have my tools from the 70's, but lack the dexterity to manipulate the knives.

John Kerekes
Graduate, summa cum laude
Armchair Model Railroad Institute

eTraxx
Fireman

Posted - 05/17/2014 :  10:31:21 AM  Show Profile  Visit eTraxx's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Found this in the sewing section at WalMart. Just how useful it might be .. donno .. but wasn't that much.

Steve Akers
New Hire

Posted - 07/07/2014 :  06:50:16 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
When my Chopper developed a channel where the blade chops. Fill it with super glue, let harden with spray hardener, then sand level with emery board. You'll have a hard cutting surface taht'll lasta loooooong time- Steve Akers

Steve's scratchin' HO

Geezer
Engineer

Posted - 07/07/2014 :  8:18:52 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks Steve - great idea, and I need to do that!!!

Page: of 12 Previous Topic: Yard Office Interior, need help Topic Next Topic: The Tenement and others - Brammer Salvage 1-12-20  
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Previous Page | Next Page
Jump To:
Railroad Line Forums © 2000-2020 Railroad Line Co. Go To Top Of Page
Steam was generated in 0.41 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000