Railroad Line Forums - Tools and tips for scratch building
Railroad Line Forums
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register
Forgot Password?
  Home   Forums   Events Calendar   Sponsors   Support the RRLine   Guestbook   FAQ     Register
Active Topics | Active Polls | Resources | Members | Online Users | Live Chat | Avatar Legend | Search | Statistics
Photo Album | File Lister | File Library
[ Active Members: 1 | Anonymous Members: 0 | Guests: 48 ]  [ Total: 49 ]  [ Newest Member: tx28 ]
 All Forums
 Model Railroad Forums
 Startin' from Scratch
 Tools and tips for scratch building
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Author Previous Topic: My HO scale Nativity scene. Topic Next Topic: Doodling after breakfast
Page: of 12

deemery
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 03/11/2010 :  5:45:10 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I use wallboard sanding screen to turn pastels into chalks.

dave

Modeling 1890s (because the voices in my head told me to)

Wulf
Engine Wiper

Premium Member

Posted - 03/11/2010 :  10:56:31 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Started using syringes with blunt tips for woodglue - leevalley sells a 5 syringe set with several tip sizes. (http://www.leevalley.com/wood/page.aspx?c=1&p=20003&cat=1,110,42967) The real handy thing is the tiny dried up drop at the end just needs to be flicked off when you use it next, rarely a problem getting plugged tips.
This led my to muck around with similar for ACC & styrene solvents - I've settled on 29 gauge 3/4" insulin syringes - you go through a new syringe every session with ACC, and with styrene solvent they only last a few days before the solvent eats the seal, but at less than 25 cents each they're well worth it. Much more control than even using music wire, & less glue waste (I only fill the syringe with what I think I'll use). I don't know about the states, in Canada they're not shelf items in drugstores - you have to ask the pharmacist, but if you don't look like a junkie (or if you know a diabetic) it's not a problem.
Just a caution - be carefull putting the tip covers back on - 29g is evil sharp, and mainlining ACC is probably not a wise thing...

CEO, Lancre Valley Steam navigation Co.

Edited by - Wulf on 03/11/2010 10:58:38 PM

eTraxx
Fireman

Posted - 07/23/2010 :  8:41:20 PM  Show Profile  Visit eTraxx's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Starting a project I was faced with needing to file/sand styrene at 90°. I remembered a post in this thread and found it .. by '6100' .. on what he calls a 'Shooting Board'. I went to Lowes and in the discount section found some tiles that worked to make my own. The ceramic tiles were of little use since the edges are rough .. but the glass tiles .. are nice and smooth. A 6"x8" white ceramic tile for a base, a 4"x4" glass tile and a couple of glass trim pieces, some epoxy and I was set. THANKS! It works .. I get perfect right angles now.

deemery
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 07/24/2010 :  3:28:31 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Ed, that's a very interesting idea, using glass tile pieces for a right-angle set-up board.

dave

Modeling 1890s (because the voices in my head told me to)

eTraxx
Fireman

Posted - 12/10/2010 :  06:56:04 AM  Show Profile  Visit eTraxx's Homepage  Reply with Quote
DIY Mini-Tablesaw/ Router / Shaper for Dremel

This was linked to on the Yahoo On30conspiracy forum.

http://www.instructables.com/id/Mini-Tablesaw-Router-Shaper-for-Dremel-rotary-/

Shazam!! Sweet!! Hoooahhh!! You have to become a 'Pro-Member' of the Instructables.com website to download the templates .. heck .. just looked .. for $1.95 a month seems worth it just for this project.

eTraxx
Fireman

Posted - 12/13/2010 :  5:26:39 PM  Show Profile  Visit eTraxx's Homepage  Reply with Quote
A while back I posted up on a mini-clothespin I found at Walmart.

Here we have on holding a dime and penny. Pretty small and has been very VERY useful

So. I was at Michaels and wondered down one of the isles where they have craft stuff for kids .. pop sickle sticks .. etc. .. and I found this ..

For about $2 a bag for 50ea .. it's a sweet deal. These are MICRO-sized. Wow! In this pic, the 'larger' one on the left is from WalMart and the Tiny one on the right is from Michaels.

Frederic Testard
Engineer

Premium Member

Posted - 12/13/2010 :  5:51:08 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I have bought a bag of small clothespins, Ed. They are excellent on holding tiny and fragile things. If yours are like mine, be careful though since they seem to be fragile too, and are willingly losing their spring.

UKGuy
Fireman

Posted - 12/13/2010 :  9:48:21 PM  Show Profile  Visit UKGuy's Homepage  Send UKGuy a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
Staying with clothes pegs.....

If you dis-assemble the peg and reverse it you will get a much more useful clamp.
The jaws will be longer, narrower and able to open more widely.

You can then adapt them to open even more widely by carving out some of the wood.

You can then go further and narrow down the jaws to get into those 'hard to reach' places.

I generally have a few of them lying around on the desk during construction, it sure beats holding things together while glue dries..

Karl.A

UKGuy
Fireman

Posted - 12/13/2010 :  11:20:05 PM  Show Profile  Visit UKGuy's Homepage  Send UKGuy a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
I just noticed that Rich (RDG Rich) also has some of these reversed pegs lying around on his workbench in his latest pictures on page 4 of the Challenge thread.

Edited by - UKGuy on 12/13/2010 11:20:41 PM

Newcastle Kid
Engine Wiper

Posted - 12/17/2010 :  5:20:24 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I use Adobe Photoshop Elements to draw out my plans, measuring and guesstimating in millimetres from photos and the like. This gizmo and my digital caliper really speed things up as PS measures in MM. Hope this make sense.

John Kerekes
Graduate, summa cum laude
Armchair Model Railroad Institute

eTraxx
Fireman

Posted - 03/11/2011 :  5:56:21 PM  Show Profile  Visit eTraxx's Homepage  Reply with Quote
So .. I was at Lowe's earlier and was browsing the tools section. They have these Digital Calipers ..

Not bad at $19.98

Ok. I'm not going to purchase one .. I am happy with my Dial Calipers.

Here's what bugs me though. These Digital Calipers .. have a button to switch between mm and inch.

SO ... HOW FREAKIN' HARD .. would it be for someone to create a version that switches between inch and YOUR SCALE? If it can switch between mm and inch there is NO REASON they couldn't do a scale switch.

Just saying .....

dantdbv
New Hire

Posted - 11/02/2011 :  5:33:40 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
This site and others, have inspired me to build my own versions of NWSL's ”The Chopper I, II, III”, ”The True Sander”, ”Duplicutter II”, Micro-Mark's ”Chop-It”, ”Sand-It” and ”Duplicate-It” plus a longsander, where the inspiration comes from another site.

DanChopper1 (1 because I already want to change it.)

DanSander1

DanDuplicutter (No, at the moment I don't have any plans for changes, so no version number.)

DanLongSander1 (This tool is based on The True Sander/Sand-It. A site that now seems to be gone, has been the inspiration for this tool. The inspiration to use the DanDuplicutter, with the sandingblock from the DanSander1, is also from this site.

Pictures in the next posts

Some of the materials are: MDF, 3 and 4mm fiberboard, 3x15x1000mm aluminium strips, an aluminium U profile, a folding plastic ruler and a lot of screws. The black areas on the chopper and
duplicutter are pieces of cuttingmat.

DanTDBV
The Droid Building Viking

Edited by - dantdbv on 11/02/2011 5:52:15 PM

dantdbv
New Hire

Posted - 11/02/2011 :  5:47:45 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
My DanChopper1

Happy Building
DanTDBV The Droid Building Viking

DanTDBV

Edited by - dantdbv on 11/02/2011 5:52:35 PM

dantdbv
New Hire

Posted - 11/02/2011 :  5:51:42 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
My DanSander1

Happy Building

DanTDBV

dantdbv
New Hire

Posted - 11/02/2011 :  5:56:05 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
My DanDuplicutter

Happy Building

DanTDBV

Page: of 12 Previous Topic: My HO scale Nativity scene. Topic Next Topic: Doodling after breakfast  
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Previous Page | Next Page
Jump To:
Railroad Line Forums © 2000-19 Railroad Line Co. Go To Top Of Page
Steam was generated in 0.42 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000