Railroad Line Forums - Tools and tips for scratch building
Railroad Line Forums
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register
Forgot Password?
  Home   Forums   Events Calendar   Sponsors   Support the RRLine   Guestbook   FAQ     Register
Active Topics | Active Polls | Resources | Members | Online Users | Live Chat | Avatar Legend | Search | Statistics
Photo Album | File Lister | File Library
[ Active Members: 4 | Anonymous Members: 0 | Guests: 83 ]  [ Total: 87 ]  [ Newest Member: tx28 ]
 All Forums
 Model Railroad Forums
 Startin' from Scratch
 Tools and tips for scratch building
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Author Previous Topic: My HO scale Nativity scene. Topic Next Topic: Doodling after breakfast
Page: of 12

hon3_rr
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 05/14/2008 :  10:18:07 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I know of several ideas for glue holder/dispensor. What works for me is a old Sucrets or Altoids tin. I put a mix of round and flat toothpicks in the main section, and old business cards in the lid. I then just put a dab of glue/CA of the business card, and grab a toothpick to use. Dip the toothpick in the dab of glue and apply. I place used toothpicks in the dab of glue. After awhile, the business card is full of toothpicks and dried glue dabs, pull the card and you have a new new glue pad. I have heard of using postit notes, but have not found them as useful as old business cards.

I use other Sucret tins for mixing paint. The lid is excellent, has the perfect slope for mixing when open. I read about this trick somewhere about 25 years ago, and have used it ever since. That's what led me to the above.

In addition, the old tins also make great holders for smaller bits of wood/styrene/parts etc. Label the end and put on end in dawer silverware holders.

You get the idea... Used Sucret or Altoid tins can be a great tool.... Question is, is this a tool??

-- KP --
Life is to short to build all of the models I want to.

deemery
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 05/17/2008 :  3:06:00 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I use (covet :-) Altoids tins to hold parts like couplers, etc after I open the Kadee bag, and to hold castings when I start working on a project.

dave

Modeling 1890s (because the voices in my head told me to)

LandNnut
Fireman

Posted - 05/18/2008 :  03:33:50 AM  Show Profile  Visit LandNnut's Homepage  Reply with Quote
At my modeling skill level I use these a lot;

Courtesy of Wikipedia

especially when I am frusterpatetted uuuhh I mean frustrated.
I used to have a dial caliper that showed thousandths of an inch and metric but somebody stole it from the Auto Repair where I used to work.
Jon

Edited by - LandNnut on 05/18/2008 03:52:56 AM

desertdrover
Engineer

Posted - 05/18/2008 :  10:24:00 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Jon

Louis
Pacific Northwest Logging in the East Coast

deemery
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 05/18/2008 :  10:30:53 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I've referred to such tools as 'persuaders', as in "Hand me that persuader, I need to persuade this part to fit."

Note these are a much more high tech versions of a tool known in the military as the BFR. Example "Hand me that BFR so I can pound in this tent peg." (Big F___ Rock.)

dave

deemery
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 06/14/2008 :  4:29:48 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I have 3 'critical tools' for applying ACC:

1. The Applicator. This is basically a cut-off needle stuck into a dowel. A commercial version is available from Flex-i-file: http://www.flex-i-file.com/html/adhesives.html (about 1/2 down the page.)

To make these yourself:
Cut a dowel that fits comfortably into your hand, maybe 3/8" or 1/2" diameter, cut it maybe 6" long. Get an assortment of sewing needles. Drill a starter hole in the end of the dowel and insert the pin of the needle into the hole. Using either a cut-off wheel or cutting pliers, carefully trim off the end of the needle leaving a fork. It usually takes me 2-3 attempts to get one to cut right (what often happens is that the eye breaks and you don't get a nice even fork shape.) When you cut one successfully, add some ACC where the needle goes into the dowel. The net result looks something like this:

Lightly sand along the length of the dowel to make a flat spot, so this won't accidentally roll away from you.

2. The Glue Holder: Look for a really small jar. I use a jelly jar from a restaurant. Clean it and then fill it with BBs or sand (so it's heavy, and you can't bump it or knock it over.) Turn the jar over, drop some ACC into the bottom of the jar. Using your 'forkstick', pick up some ACC. Capillary action will draw the ACC into the fork. Move it to the model and capillary action will move the ACC to the model.

Every night when you're done, take a piece of paper towel and wipe off the excess ACC. It turns out that ACC build-up on the bottom of the jar will cause new ACC to dry more rapidly. If you get ACC build-up on the jar, soak it in some lacquer thinner.

3. The Applicator Cleaner: You'll also get ACC build-up on the forkstick. Item #3 is a Bic-style lighter. Just 'flick your Bic', and hold the forkstick at the top of the flame. The ACC will catch fire, and you'll see a blue flame. As soon as the ACC catches fire, remove the lighter (you do not want to heat the forkstick too much). Wipe off the charcoal/ash, and you now have a clean forkstick.

None of these ideas are original to me, but together they work really well.

dave

desertdrover
Engineer

Posted - 06/14/2008 :  6:56:27 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
OK Dave that's proof that great minds think alike.
I made mine using old paint brush handles, and different size sewing needles. For the ACC I use a turned upside down shot glass to hold the ACC.
For the price you pay for the ready made Applicator you can make all kinds this way.

Louis

belg
Fireman

Posted - 06/14/2008 :  9:01:30 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Louis, can the dried glue be cleaned easily from the shot glass? Pat

compressor man
Section Hand

Posted - 06/15/2008 :  09:06:28 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
You can also put a puddle of acc glue on wax paper, it will sit there quite a while before drying up.

Regards,
Chris

hvig
Crew Chief

Posted - 06/15/2008 :  09:08:37 AM  Show Profile  Visit hvig's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by belg

This doesn't really answer that question, but that's one thing I love about the post it note method of dispensing. I don't care if it's easy to clean, just rip the top sheet (or maybe two if they are glued together) and throw them away.

I have also used old milk jug pieces cut into small squares. CA has real hard time sticking to that stuff... so it cleans easily. But I still like the pad better.

belg
Fireman

Posted - 06/15/2008 :  09:38:07 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Harry, I used to use the post it note method but the glue absorbed into the paper and I think you waste alot of glue this way. An interesting point Dave made "It turns out that ACC build-up on the bottom of the jar will cause new ACC to dry more rapidly.", I don't have any mileage on this one but can anyone shed some more light on this? Karl O, now has bought some of those little cups tattoo artists use and I think that sounds like a really good solution, there so cheap when your done just pitch it in the recycling bin for plastics. I think Harry you have a good idea with the milkjug, at least that won't absorb the glue like the paper. Pat

deemery
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 06/15/2008 :  10:57:47 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Martin Brechbiel is an industrial chemist (and a super O Gauge modeler...) I asked him about old ACC affecting new ACC:

Chemist question for you on ACC: does this stuff act as a catalyst for itself or something? What I use a small baby food jar turned upside down, squirting some thin ACC on it, and then picking up the ACC from there. It seems to me that, as the ACC builds up, the thin stuff sets up faster.

Make sense, or just my imagination? (Periodically, I clean the jar by letting it soak for a while in lacquer thinner, which softens the big glob of ACC that I peel off, and then start all over again :-)

Yes! ACC is glues act in part by forming a polyacrylamide and I have noticed the same phenomenon. Probably just continuing the reaction onwards working off a surface that's optimal for doing just that.

I was thinking about getting some sort of little "dimple" thing to hold a couple of drops of ACC so that I could dip my nbw castings before inserting them into holes............maybe just take a block of metal and drill out a dimple?

belg
Fireman

Posted - 06/15/2008 :  11:17:03 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks Dave it can't get much better than that for a reference, Pat

desertdrover
Engineer

Posted - 06/15/2008 :  11:29:17 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by belg

Pat yes, the ACC wipes off with a paper towel what I don't use. But even when it dries, it will scrape off with a finger nail. I find the glass to work out great.

Louis

belg
Fireman

Posted - 06/15/2008 :  12:14:37 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Louis, thanks, Pat

Page: of 12 Previous Topic: My HO scale Nativity scene. Topic Next Topic: Doodling after breakfast  
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Previous Page | Next Page
Jump To:
Railroad Line Forums © 2000-19 Railroad Line Co. Go To Top Of Page
Steam was generated in 0.45 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000