Railroad Line Forums - Photo Gallery of things you have scratch built
Railroad Line Forums
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register
Forgot Password?
  Home   Forums   Events Calendar   Sponsors   Support the RRLine   Guestbook   FAQ     Register
Active Topics | Active Polls | Resources | Members | Online Users | Live Chat | Avatar Legend | Search | Statistics
Photo Album | File Lister | File Library
[ Active Members: 3 | Anonymous Members: 1 | Guests: 164 ]  [ Total: 168 ]  [ Newest Member: Alex Italy ]
 All Forums
 Model Railroad Forums
 Startin' from Scratch
 Photo Gallery of things you have scratch built
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Author Previous Topic: On building MoW cars Topic Next Topic: Railroad Street Buildings
Page: of 67

MikeC
Administrator

Premium Member

Posted - 05/16/2005 :  12:05:07 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Joe and Cletus, here is a link to Karl's tutorial on stone making:
http://www.railroad-line.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=8357

I believe he said this is the same method he used to make the base of the water tower.

jatravia
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 05/16/2005 :  07:49:26 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thank you Mike (and Karl ). While it might be a bit tidious for most N-scale projects I am sure I can find a retaining wall or two to try the process on.

Joe <><

Karl Osolinski
Fireman

Posted - 05/18/2005 :  07:32:37 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by towncar59

Karl, beauties ! All of them..I really like the "caboose"...is it a freelance car or did you use a picture from an original..?

Ron

Hi Ron,

Thanks. It's a board-by-board work caboose built from a photograph. As I recall, I did weather mine a little more than the one in the photo.

Karl O.

Karl Osolinski
Fireman

Posted - 05/18/2005 :  07:41:31 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by jatravia

Karl,
All of the items you built are wonderful. I really like the little stone station and the water tank. How did you build the stone portions of your structures?
Joe <>

Hi Joe,

Thanks. The stone depot and water tower were built from individual stones made from hydrocal. It was before I discovered Sculpey Polymer Clay which I use now. The Sculpey is much less of a mess - the hydrocal creates so much dust.

The others are castings from homemade or commercial molds.

Karl O.

Karl Osolinski
Fireman

Posted - 05/18/2005 :  07:49:58 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Cletus

Karl,

Those little round buildings, the stone one, the others are I suppose octagonal, are just so darn cool. Not sure how you did that stone one, but it is giving me some ideas. Is the technique mentioned in any other thread?

Excellent work Karl.

Hi Cletus,

Thanks. Check the reply to Joe - he also wanted to know about the stonework.

Karl O.

Cletus
Engine Wiper

Posted - 05/29/2005 :  12:44:39 PM  Show Profile  Visit Cletus's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Thanks guys for the information.

Cletus

danpik
New Hire

Posted - 06/03/2005 :  10:06:03 PM  Show Profile  Visit danpik's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Hi All
New member here. I just want to say I am in awe of some of the work I have seen here tonight. There are truely some talented modelers out there. I thought I would post a picture of an engine I recently scratch built. This is a GE 132 ton centercab engine that was built for Ford and later sold to the Wellsville Addison & Galeton RR.
If anyone is interested in the build process for this engine I have a step by step on my website under the "How to" link
Dan Pikulski
www.DansResinCasting.com

Dutchman
Administrator

Premium Member

Posted - 06/03/2005 :  10:19:56 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Dan,
That is a terrific centercab! I enjoyed the 'how-to' on your website.

Bruce

Tabooma County Rwy
Fireman

Posted - 06/04/2005 :  01:45:19 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Dan, yes, good job on the center cab. I especially liked the "make your own ground foam" how-to on your web site, too.

Rick
Administrator

Premium Member

Posted - 06/04/2005 :  07:14:13 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Dan, you did a great job on the engine. I also liked the ground foam how-to.

Shamus
Crew Chief

Posted - 06/04/2005 :  10:50:20 AM  Show Profile  Visit Shamus's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Very good indeed Dan, love the paint job as well.

I note you do custom decals, now thats very interesting indeed as I might just need some for my 0n30 logging layout. click the logo below.

Shamus

n/a
deleted

Posted - 06/05/2005 :  9:38:11 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
A progress photo of a project I started months ago as part of one of the challenges....well the deadline to get it done for the Northwest logging Modelers Convention is Wednsday...still have a bunch of little parts and strapping to add....also need to finish al the NBW's on the accompanying gondola. Under the department of hidsight is 20/20...I wish I had used "CN Grey" or "Grime" as primer, rather than "Foundation"...oh well...live and learn. My current hold-up is I cant decide whether to do it with or without the awning over the door...leaning towards without so as not to "clutter" it up.

Marc

Dutchman
Administrator

Premium Member

Posted - 06/05/2005 :  10:12:46 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Marc,
You are the Construction Foreman, but for what it is worth, I like the looks of that awning.

Bruce

Tabooma County Rwy
Fireman

Posted - 06/05/2005 :  10:47:52 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Yes, I agree, the awning looks good...like what a backwoods logging outfit would do.

Marc, when and where is the Northwest Loggers Convention? I should know since I live in the northwest....

MikeC
Administrator

Premium Member

Posted - 06/05/2005 :  11:39:29 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Excellent work on the car, Marc! The awning is a tough choice since the car looks great both ways. However, I'd probably leave it off if it were up to me.

Page: of 67 Previous Topic: On building MoW cars Topic Next Topic: Railroad Street Buildings  
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Previous Page | Next Page
Jump To:
Railroad Line Forums © 2000-2020 Railroad Line Co. Go To Top Of Page
Steam was generated in 0.45 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000