Railroad Line Forums - Photo Gallery of things you have scratch built
Railroad Line Forums
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register
Forgot Password?
  Home   Forums   Events Calendar   Sponsors   Support the RRLine   Guestbook   FAQ     Register
Active Topics | Active Polls | Resources | Members | Online Users | Live Chat | Avatar Legend | Search | Statistics
Photo Album | File Lister | File Library
[ Active Members: 5 | Anonymous Members: 0 | Guests: 221 ]  [ Total: 226 ]  [ Newest Member: Alex Italy ]
 All Forums
 Model Railroad Forums
 Startin' from Scratch
 Photo Gallery of things you have scratch built
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Author Previous Topic: On building MoW cars Topic Next Topic: Railroad Street Buildings
Page: of 67

George D

Premium Member

Posted - 04/10/2005 :  9:27:14 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks John and Bruce. I'm looking forward to seeing your welding shop Bruce.

George

Dreamweaver
Crew Chief

Posted - 04/10/2005 :  10:36:20 PM  Show Profile  Send Dreamweaver a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
This is the first thing I scratch built. It's not finished in these pictures but here it is anyway.

This is in "scale" 261'L x 48'H x 28'W

Bottom!

Bottom!

This is the 2nd!

And the 3rd.--although the bridge itself on this had to be replaced with one that was not as thick because I did'nt have the clearance for the double stack huskys I'll be running.

For this I built a mold out of plywood and tried to make it in one piece, that is the four side angled retension wall were poured in seperate molds.

Here is the finished product!

These are the piers I made for the long bridge, They are a piece of 1 1/2" pink foam that I sprayed with water then sifted dry hydrocal over to give the effect.

This is a "Anchored sprayed Concrete Retension Wall" Made the same way as the piers.

My plans were when I first started this to buy plastic buildings and make them look real.

But!! after getting the bug to scratch build,(as well as looking at mikec's layout), I think I'm going to build all or at least most of my own.

So that being said, I could use some helpful advice as to were to find plans for buildings, how to best scale them down to HO, or anything you can think of that will help me get on the rite TRACK. (PUN INTENDED)

mikethetrainman
Fireman

Posted - 04/11/2005 :  09:08:58 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Mike J nice work. You can find plans for all kinds of buildings in the model magazines. I build a lot of stuff from just pictures or I use a Cad program on my computer to draw up something.

Mike Mace
Northern Division of the Santa Fe

Dutchman
Administrator

Premium Member

Posted - 04/18/2005 :  7:33:17 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
On the previous page, George posted his final picture of the Welding Shop that he built from the following prototype.

Here are my final pics.

The complete scratchbuild joint project can be found at this link: http://www.railroad-line.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=8143&whichpage=1

Bruce

Edited by - Dutchman on 04/18/2005 7:38:59 PM

George D

Premium Member

Posted - 04/18/2005 :  7:44:25 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Way to go Bruce.

George

Marken
Fireman

Posted - 04/18/2005 :  8:30:37 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Lot's of great projects everyone

This is the garage from Earl's I scratchbuilt...

In memory of Mike Chambers

George D

Premium Member

Posted - 04/18/2005 :  9:47:14 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Very nice Ken. The scene fits together nicely. I especially like all those barrels on the side of the building.

George

Dutchman
Administrator

Premium Member

Posted - 04/18/2005 :  10:31:51 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Ken,
That is a great building that I think surpasses the actual Earl's kit. I love the fenced in area.

Bruce

Bbags
Administrator

Premium Member

Posted - 04/18/2005 :  10:41:40 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Recently two members of the forum (George and Bruce) decided that they would both scratch build the same structure from a photo of a real structure.
Here is the real structure.

Here is Bruce's scratch build.

Here is George's scratch build.

While they have each posted these pictures I thought it would be nice to show them together in the same post.

This was a fun project to watch as each progressed through the construction phase and I hope we at some time in the future can see others completing the same scratch built structure.

Thanks guys and congratulations on a job well done.

John Bagley
Modeling the Alaska Railroad in HO in Wildwood Georgia.

Shamus
Crew Chief

Posted - 04/19/2005 :  08:59:28 AM  Show Profile  Visit Shamus's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Some excellent looking scratchbuilt structures. Very nice indeed.

Shamus

Karl Osolinski
Fireman

Posted - 04/19/2005 :  09:05:49 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote

Hello,

Here are a few of my scratch built projects. I like to scratch build because you don't have to follow any instructions.

Karl O.

davidray
Engine Wiper

Posted - 04/19/2005 :  10:47:37 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
All very nice, Karl, as usual. I'd like to see some of these designs offered by our beloved kit manufacturers. Hint, hint.

David Ray
Cumming, Georgia, USA

towncar59
Engine Wiper

Posted - 05/15/2005 :  6:53:33 PM  Show Profile  Visit towncar59's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Karl, beauties ! All of them..I really like the "caboose"...is it a freelance car or did you use a picture from an original..?

Ron

Edited by - towncar59 on 05/15/2005 6:54:38 PM

jatravia
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 05/15/2005 :  8:32:06 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Karl,
All of the items you built are wonderful. I really like the little stone station and the water tank. How did you build the stone portions of your structures?
Joe <>

Cletus
Engine Wiper

Posted - 05/15/2005 :  9:22:28 PM  Show Profile  Visit Cletus's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Karl,

Those little round buildings, the stone one, the others are I suppose octagonal, are just so darn cool. Not sure how you did that stone one, but it is giving me some ideas. Is the technique mentioned in any other thread?

Excellent work Karl.

Page: of 67 Previous Topic: On building MoW cars Topic Next Topic: Railroad Street Buildings  
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Previous Page | Next Page
Jump To:
Railroad Line Forums © 2000-2020 Railroad Line Co. Go To Top Of Page
Steam was generated in 1.34 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000