Railroad Line Forums - Photo Gallery of things you have scratch built
Railroad Line Forums
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register
Forgot Password?
  Home   Forums   Events Calendar   Sponsors   Support the RRLine   Guestbook   FAQ     Register
Active Topics | Active Polls | Resources | Members | Online Users | Live Chat | Avatar Legend | Search | Statistics
Photo Album | File Lister | File Library
[ Active Members: 1 | Anonymous Members: 1 | Guests: 48 ]  [ Total: 50 ]  [ Newest Member: tx28 ]
 All Forums
 Model Railroad Forums
 Startin' from Scratch
 Photo Gallery of things you have scratch built
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Author Previous Topic: Hamlin Wizard Oil Topic Next Topic: Ferris Wheel Restart
Page: of 63

wvrr
Fireman

Posted - 03/21/2005 :  8:10:07 PM  Show Profile  Visit wvrr's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Michael,

I actually didn't mean the wiring for it. I was just amazed at the mechanical linkages you built to rotate the small sections of track where there would normally be a frog. That's pretty ingenious. Is this system based on a prototype?

Chuck

Section Hand

Posted - 03/22/2005 :  10:41:28 AM  Show Profile  Visit 6100's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Chuck
yes the system was used in Wales on one of the mining type railroads the Penrhyn Quarry Railway, The name Fothergill is attributed to the originator of this type of stub turnout.
On page 197 of Narrow Gauge Industrial Railway Modelling and Review issue Number6 there is a couple pictures by Peter Wilson, of a prototype at Gilfach Ddu, Dinorwic in 1990.This issue is now out of print. I'm not sure about copyright or I would upload the page, I will if I can get permission.

However I have no recollection of a 3 way ever being made, it did pose some head scratching, but space was at a premium because I only have 70 inches of length in which to create a headshunt and three sidings in 30mm to the foot scale. the total length of the switch is 18 inches.

Regards Michael

If you can dream it you can make it
http://members.shaw.ca/emm48

n/a
deleted

Posted - 03/22/2005 :  2:26:03 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Michael,

I have to say your work shown here,on the other thread, and on your site as well (I spent quite some time there), is quite stunning and inspiring. It really does get all sorts of thoughts and ideas racing througn my head. Thank you also for the wonderful link to the Chinese RR pages.....WOW....thet really gets the modeliong juices flowing. Your switches have helped with some switch ideas and thoughts I have been trying to resolve.I really look forward to more of your work and progress.

Marc

Section Hand

Posted - 03/22/2005 :  3:21:17 PM  Show Profile  Visit 6100's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Marc Thank you for the compliment, and likewise. It never ceases to amaze me how much amazing stuff is out there to find,I think that the model railroad community are all closet historians as well. As these sites will show.

http://www.users.globalnet.co.uk/%7Emccamley/

http://www.penmorfa.com/Rhiwbach/manod2.htm

http://www.tramz.com/mx/yu/yu70.html
I sometimes wonder how will I ever get any model work done. This is a little slate wagon at 30mm scale. The ties are
peeled poplar saplings weathered outside for about a year and are approx 6" dia at 30mm to the foot scale. the wagon has
painted aristo wheels in simple plastic bearings The wood on the wagon is
spruce, wirebrushed and floquiled and chalked. the rock is real slate.

regards Michael

If you can dream it you can make it
http://members.shaw.ca/emm48

mikethetrainman
Fireman

Posted - 03/26/2005 :  12:01:01 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi Everyone,
Have been busy for the last few days and have not check the forums as much as I would like.

Michael That is some great looking track work and flat with load.

Here are some gas stations that I built. I posted them in another thread and John ask If I would post them here.

This is a copy of the gas station from FSM's Roadside Delights. I made it smaller to fit the space and changed the hand.

This one is patterned after the one in front of the train station in South Manchester on the FSM layout.

This one is also from the FSM layout. It is in Dovertown along the railroad viaduct.

Mike Mace
Northern Division of the Santa Fe

Edited by - mikethetrainman on 03/26/2005 12:02:14 AM

Bbags
Administrator

Premium Member

Posted - 03/26/2005 :  09:59:08 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks Mike

John Bagley
Modeling the Alaska Railroad in HO in Wildwood Georgia.

davidellinger77
Engine Wiper

Posted - 04/02/2005 :  5:08:12 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
This is my first major scratchbuild. Got plans on e-bay for $20. About $75 in additional materials. Also my first attempt to download a picture. We'll keep our floquil fingers crossed on that one.

davidellinger77
Engine Wiper

Posted - 04/02/2005 :  5:11:57 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
That didn't go too well. Sorry.All went well through step 5 of Mike's tutorial, but didn't get the additional text added to my original message. Will try once more, and apologize if this doesn't work

davidellinger77
Engine Wiper

Posted - 04/02/2005 :  5:16:32 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Another Try Still no go. I reduced to 77.93 on XNView, so not sure where I'm Going wrong. Any help?

Dutchman
Administrator

Premium Member

Posted - 04/02/2005 :  5:24:52 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Dave,
I sent you a PM, lets try working it through. I'm not even seeing the usual red "X", so it just isn't a problem with the name.

However, let's save the picture as a .jpeg file with a simple name like building1.

Let me know when that is done.

mikethetrainman
Fireman

Posted - 04/02/2005 :  5:37:42 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
David,
Hi are you using something other than Internet Explorer for your web browser. When I first joined the Forums I tried to upload with Netscape and it did not like it. If you have IE on your machine try that. Maybe someone else will give the location of the pages about uploading pictures. I did not bookmark them and can't kind where they are. After using IE I have no problem with the uploads. I have both web browsers on my machine.

Mike Mace
Northern Division of the Santa Fe

George D

Premium Member

Posted - 04/10/2005 :  5:56:09 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Well I finally finished my welding shop. It's not all glued together since I plan to mount it on my module and I have some flickering welding lights planned for the interior. John keeps reminding me I need to post a photo of the finished version here.

Bruce posted this picture a while back, which is the inspiration for the model.

Here's my attempt to model it.

George

Dutchman
Administrator

Premium Member

Posted - 04/10/2005 :  6:49:53 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
George,
It looks like the prototype to me! The windows look great. Now I'm sorry that I modeled mine closed. I should finish up by next weekend.

Bbags
Administrator

Premium Member

Posted - 04/10/2005 :  8:16:37 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks George,
That is a great addition to this thread.

John Bagley

Bbags
Administrator

Premium Member

Posted - 04/10/2005 :  8:20:46 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by mikethetrainman

David,
Hi are you using something other than Internet Explorer for your web browser. When I first joined the Forums I tried to upload with Netscape and it did not like it. If you have IE on your machine try that. Maybe someone else will give the location of the pages about uploading pictures. I did not bookmark them and can't kind where they are. After using IE I have no problem with the uploads. I have both web browsers on my machine.

David,
I second Mike's answer as others in the past have had a problem using Netscape.
Netscape and Snitz forums do not seem to get along.
So if you are using Netscape you will have to use IE and all your problems will be over.
Good luck as I am looking forward to these pictures.

John Bagley

Page: of 63 Previous Topic: Hamlin Wizard Oil Topic Next Topic: Ferris Wheel Restart  
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Previous Page | Next Page
Jump To:
Railroad Line Forums © 2000-19 Railroad Line Co. Go To Top Of Page
Steam was generated in 0.61 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000