Railroad Line Forums - Photo Gallery of things you have scratch built
Railroad Line Forums
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register
Forgot Password?
  Home   Forums   Events Calendar   Sponsors   Support the RRLine   Guestbook   FAQ     Register
Active Topics | Active Polls | Resources | Members | Online Users | Live Chat | Avatar Legend | Search | Statistics
Photo Album | File Lister | File Library
[ Active Members: 2 | Anonymous Members: 0 | Guests: 127 ]  [ Total: 129 ]  [ Newest Member: Alex Italy ]
 All Forums
 Model Railroad Forums
 Startin' from Scratch
 Photo Gallery of things you have scratch built
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Author Previous Topic: On building MoW cars Topic Next Topic: Railroad Street Buildings
Page: of 67

JohnReid
Fireman

Posted - 08/16/2012 :  07:04:46 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote

JohnReid
Fireman

Posted - 08/16/2012 :  1:46:46 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote

JohnReid
Fireman

Posted - 09/19/2012 :  09:34:33 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y250/JohnReid/Diorama%20%206%20%20RR%20%20Gone%20Too%20Soon/Once%20upon%20a%20time%20001_zps2a1156d0.jpg" border="0">
Here are the first few glued to a wood board.
If you have a favorite old west film prior to 1969 please advise and if I can find the poster I will put it up in my rogue's gallery walk of fame.I am only doing the movies filmed before '69 because I want to keep it relevant to what might have influenced his work.
On the walls in the interior of the baggage car (out of normal view) I plan to put up posters of the westerns directed by Leone.The roof of this car will be removable for viewing.

Wallace
Engine Wiper

Posted - 12/09/2012 :  2:50:55 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
A well-used gondola and load on the Goldfield & Hangtown RR.
Other pictures of the Goldfield & Hangtown RR can be seen in "RR-L Members personal websites" on page 9

dgjj
Engine Wiper

Posted - 01/19/2013 :  5:03:35 PM  Show Profile  Visit dgjj's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Recently built a HO scale service station repair shop based on a real building seen in a magazine.
Constructed from card with Grandt Line and Rusty Stumps windows using Rusty Stumps brick sheet (an excellent product to work with). The front windows are slightly different to the original as I didn't have matching windows on hand.
The sign on the front is a copy of the original sign printed on thin paper and then sanded and attached to the brickwork, same goes for the shell sign on the side.

again the misnamed
http://modelrailroadscratchbuilder.wordpress.com/

Danny Head
Fireman

Posted - 03/02/2013 :  11:59:24 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Tennessee Corporation

Detour Feed Mill

kebmo
Fireman

Posted - 03/05/2013 :  5:39:15 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
awesome danny, but your work always is.

this is a hotel i built from styrene and brick sheets from plastruct. the windows and doors are grandt line. i had a photograph from 1967 to go by. this was built to be placed on a layout at a railroad museum in wakefield, nebraska. i also scratchbuilt a model of the depot museum that the layout is housed in. kind of like an infinity mirror.....

the old timers that run the museum said i nailed it.

kebmo
Fireman

Posted - 03/05/2013 :  5:56:08 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
i've been working on scratchbuilding an o scale model of the victorian that my girlfriend grew up in in oak park, illinois (home of frank lloyd wright among others). i had a sepia toned 1908 post card picture of the house. that was the version her folks purchased. right after they bought it they had it painted charcoal gray with white trim.

and this is the post card picture. i had to build a model of it just because it's such a cool house.

i'm using rusty stumps shingles (thanks for the great service walt) and this thing is just eating them up. the porch roof took 9 hours to shingle (i could have shingled the real roof in less time) and obviously i have a long way to go before this one's shingled. i'm really dreading the rest of the ridge caps...about 17" worth

Edited by - kebmo on 03/05/2013 5:59:46 PM

George D

Premium Member

Posted - 03/05/2013 :  5:56:46 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Very nice looking structures, Danny and Kevin.

I like the way you built your diorama on a slope, Danny. Very realistic.

George

eTraxx
Fireman

Posted - 03/05/2013 :  8:57:55 PM  Show Profile  Visit eTraxx's Homepage  Reply with Quote
John, David, Danny, Kevin .. dang! Impressive work!

Ummm. Ok. I'll post some of my old stuff

Small dam (O scale)

Sluice gate, pump house etc. (O scale)

HO staircase

Donno .. cement thang and wall (O scale)

Shed (1:24)

Oil tank (O scale)

Coke Ovens (O scale)

Rail Racks (O scale)

55-gal drum (O scale) (aluminum foil)

Pump etc. (O scale)

Edited by - eTraxx on 03/05/2013 9:22:00 PM

George D

Premium Member

Posted - 03/06/2013 :  07:52:39 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Beautiful work, Ed, in all scales.

George

Wallace
Engine Wiper

Posted - 03/18/2013 :  01:14:07 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote

The car on the left was inspired by a picture from RR-l. These are in HO gauge on the Goldfield & Hangtown Railroad; other images of the railroad can be seen on the members' websites, page 9.

Download Attachment: G&HRR 2workcars2.jpg
199.13 KBG&HRR 2workcars2.jpg

Pennman
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 03/25/2013 :  10:02:19 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
This building took only five evenings to make from scratch.

Honestly, tell me what I can do to improve this, other than the stone color used. (explained below)
My first coloring was a thin watercolor wash of Yellow Ochre, followed by a gray watercolor wash.
The gray seemed too gray, so then I scratched some chalk sticks and dabbed on alcohol, which
turned the whole wall brown. I sprayed the wall. (with the brick), with some dullcoat, then a
"mottled effect" just took over when it dried. Other than the walls being totally brown, I think the dullcoat
had something to do with making the concrete on the wall, look very old, and now I like it.
What do you think?
The tarpaper roof is made from sticky paper tape, the kind that the ER uses to wrap gauze around a wound. I hit it with bragdon's powders, then some wet water.
I was going to add some old wood boards and some ructed tin panels, but now I don't know. What do you think? or does it look ok as is?
Any comments would be greatly appreciated, thanks.
Rich

Pennman
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 03/30/2013 :  10:53:45 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I have added a concrete base and a decayed chimney to my building. Also, I did not glue on the roof of glue the front doors and windows in, in order to add an interior and/or lighting, at a later date.
Rich

When we finished the Par Four challange, I decided on doing this one.
Rich

R.BOUDREAUX
Fireman

Posted - 04/01/2013 :  3:58:12 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
[quote]Originally posted by eTraxx

John, David, Danny, Kevin .. dang! Impressive work!

Ummm. Ok. I'll post some of my old stuff

]

Oil tank (O scale)

Hey, Ed,

Damned good looking rust job on the tank.

Looks great.

Rich

Page: of 67 Previous Topic: On building MoW cars Topic Next Topic: Railroad Street Buildings  
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Previous Page | Next Page
Jump To:
Railroad Line Forums © 2000-2020 Railroad Line Co. Go To Top Of Page
Steam was generated in 0.45 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000