Railroad Line Forums - Photo Gallery of things you have scratch built
Railroad Line Forums
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register
Forgot Password?
  Home   Forums   Events Calendar   Sponsors   Support the RRLine   Guestbook   FAQ     Register
Active Topics | Active Polls | Resources | Members | Online Users | Live Chat | Avatar Legend | Search | Statistics
Photo Album | File Lister | File Library
[ Active Members: 2 | Anonymous Members: 0 | Guests: 70 ]  [ Total: 72 ]  [ Newest Member: Alex Italy ]
 All Forums
 Model Railroad Forums
 Startin' from Scratch
 Photo Gallery of things you have scratch built
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Author Previous Topic: On building MoW cars Topic Next Topic: Railroad Street Buildings
Page: of 67

George D

Premium Member

Posted - 01/05/2010 :  12:25:42 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks Dave. Iíll have to check out Waltís HO windows for my next project.

George

railphotog
Fireman

Posted - 01/05/2010 :  12:43:18 PM  Show Profile  Visit railphotog's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Scratchbuilt speeder shed in O scale. The exterior:

And the interior:

cail
Section Hand

Posted - 01/05/2010 :  1:36:58 PM  Show Profile  Visit cail's Homepage  Click to see cail's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Excellent, great work :)

Alain

hon3_rr
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 01/06/2010 :  11:46:18 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Wow! Nice Bob.

-- KP --
Life is to short to build all of the models I want to.

Ray Dunakin
Fireman

Posted - 01/06/2010 :  10:20:15 PM  Show Profile  Visit Ray Dunakin's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Nice shed! Does the back wall come off for taking those interior pics?

railphotog
Fireman

Posted - 01/07/2010 :  07:04:13 AM  Show Profile  Visit railphotog's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Ray Dunakin

Nice shed! Does the back wall come off for taking those interior pics?

Ray: This shed was in its own thread recently, with more photos, showing the removable back:

http://www.railroad-line.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=28191

altterrain
Section Hand

Posted - 01/07/2010 :  10:01:16 PM  Show Profile  Visit altterrain's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I have scratchbuilt many of my garden railway structures. None would be considered finescale since they sit outside year round 24/7 for the squirrels to eat their nuts on and birds to poop on.
The following are 1/24 scale -

Donovan's Pub (sits in a block with 3 kit structures)-

A little freight and passenger depot -

the Soggy Bottom Coal Co. tipple -

ACME Manufacturing - made from Hardibacker tile board, 3 feet long and also serves as a table -

water tank based on the M&E tank at the Whippany, NJ museum

Silver Spring station base on the interurban station in Winnebago, IL

my last building project was my 7/8's scale (1:13.7) station. It almost 30 inches long and is constructed of real stone, cedar and copper. It weighs about 40 pounds.

My one scratch motive power project is a 7/8n2 rail truck. All scratch except the trucks and the hood which was greatly modified -

-Brian

George D

Premium Member

Posted - 01/07/2010 :  10:39:26 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Nice looking models, Brian. How long do those structures last, sitting out in the weather?

George

altterrain
Section Hand

Posted - 01/07/2010 :  10:55:44 PM  Show Profile  Visit altterrain's Homepage  Reply with Quote
That's a good question. My oldest buildings are three years old and most are in fine shape. Every spring they get cleaned up, paint touch ups, fresh coats of wood sealer or acrylic clear coat. All are built of heavy duty plastics, foam base with plastic veneers, pressure treated wood or cedar and exterior grade glues. I figure by the time I get all the structures done the older ones will need replacing!

-Brian

CieloVistaRy
Fireman

Posted - 02/19/2010 :  03:02:01 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:

And the interior:

Bob,

I really love this. It's inspiring me to do a shed build.. I am wondering.. what lighting do you use? This is so white I'd almost think it's fluorescent.

Arthur

Arthur

railphotog
Fireman

Posted - 02/19/2010 :  06:50:09 AM  Show Profile  Visit railphotog's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by CieloVistaRy
Bob,

I really love this. It's inspiring me to do a shed build.. I am wondering.. what lighting do you use? This is so white I'd almost think it's fluorescent.

Arthur

Arthur:

Thanks for the comments! I used 500 watt photoflood lights, and set the digital camera white balance for incandescent. I had the lamp pointing almost straight down through the skylights.

If you can wait, my article on making the speeder shed is supposed to be in the 2011 On30 Annual.

ak-milw
Crew Chief

Posted - 02/19/2010 :  7:48:15 PM  Show Profile  Click to see ak-milw's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Here is my latest, an old livery stable for the town of Camp Douglas. I know it is not in the same league as the above photo, but here it is anyway.

Andy Kramer -- Modeling the Milwaukee Road in Wisconsin

RonH56
Fireman

Posted - 02/24/2010 :  3:09:40 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I had the need for a power pole/street lamp to be used on the lot of my little trucking company. So I embarked upon this little scratch build. I am pretty happy with it.
Remembering that when I was a kid most of the poles had climbing lugs on them that started about 7 ft up, I felt this a much needed detail.
I didn't think about taking progress pics until time for paint. But it started out as 3v light bulb, some sprue, a piece of brass tubing, some modeling putty, a cross bar from a plastic power pole and some "little tiny" pieces of wire.

It works, complete with a blue jay taking a rest.

This is it in place...

It was fun but took about 4 hours over a couple of nights so, I don't think I'll be mass producing them anytime soon.

"What the heck wuz that?"
Ron Haviland
Owner/Operator
Red Water Railway Co.
L.B. & S Shortline RR.

Podunk, New England

mwbpequod
Fireman

Posted - 05/02/2010 :  4:52:21 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Here's a little station that evolved upwards from a small freight station kit that I was using for doing hands-on clinics at conventions, except that this one is all board by board and features an interior and lighting.

This is the Markes Station that will eventually find a home on my layout.....

In a time like ours seemings and portents signify. Ours is a generation when dogs howl and the skin crawls on the skull with its beast's foreboding.

Frederic Testard
Engineer

Premium Member

Posted - 05/02/2010 :  5:55:02 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
This is a finely detailed model, Martin, with a nice and interesting interior.

Page: of 67 Previous Topic: On building MoW cars Topic Next Topic: Railroad Street Buildings  
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Previous Page | Next Page
Jump To:
Railroad Line Forums © 2000-2020 Railroad Line Co. Go To Top Of Page
Steam was generated in 0.55 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000