Railroad Line Forums - Photo Gallery of things you have scratch built
Railroad Line Forums
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register
Forgot Password?
  Home   Forums   Events Calendar   Sponsors   Support the RRLine   Guestbook   FAQ     Register
Active Topics | Active Polls | Resources | Members | Online Users | Live Chat | Avatar Legend | Search | Statistics
Photo Album | File Lister | File Library
[ Active Members: 3 | Anonymous Members: 0 | Guests: 90 ]  [ Total: 93 ]  [ Newest Member: RocknTommy ]
 All Forums
 Model Railroad Forums
 Startin' from Scratch
 Photo Gallery of things you have scratch built
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Author Previous Topic: Hamlin Wizard Oil Topic Next Topic: Ferris Wheel Restart
Page: of 63

belg
Fireman

Posted - 01/02/2009 :  10:50:40 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Glen, a couple of really nice projects. What natural material are your logs made from? Pat

Glen Haasdyk
Fireman

Posted - 01/03/2009 :  01:55:33 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
LOL, Those are the remains of my neighbour's Christmas tree from 3 years ago. I'd chop my own up except we have an artificial tree!

belg
Fireman

Posted - 01/03/2009 :  08:06:48 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
How appropriate! Pat

Oliver W. Jr.
Engine Wiper

Posted - 01/17/2009 :  01:41:08 AM  Show Profile  Visit Oliver W. Jr.'s Homepage  Reply with Quote
I originally hoped to put this into the fall-into-winter challenge, but I ran into some problems registering for the forum. I did finish it in time, however.

The model represents the Tyne Woody cabin in HO scale. The plans were obtained online from the Library of Congress' American Memory Project, located here:
http://memory.loc.gov/cgi-bin/ampage?collId=hhsheet&fileName=nc/nc0200/nc0253/sheet/browse.db&action=browse&recNum=0&title2=Tyne%20Woody%20House,%20Cataloochee,%20Haywood%20County,%20NC&displayType=1&maxCols=2&itemLink=D?hh:4:./temp/~ammem_ziUq::@@@mdb=gottscho,hh,cmns,alad,ncpsbib,gmd,pan,detr,horyd

I constructed it from scratch using balsa "hewn logs," a little Northeastern dimensional lumber, and shake roofing from Rusty Stumps. The lumber and shakes were treated with alcohol-ink stains. The chimneys were made from Durham's water putty that I cast into rough-shaped blanks using simple molds I made from OJ cartons and masking tape. After the putty set, I carved the chimneys into final shape and painted them with craft acrylics.

Glen, is that a .308 boiler on your pile driver?

Edited by - Oliver W. Jr. on 01/17/2009 01:52:53 AM

Frederic Testard
Engineer

Premium Member

Posted - 01/17/2009 :  02:17:57 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Nice little building, Oliver. It's a pity you couldn't post it in time for the challenge, but it has to be noticed that you've successfully won another challenge, the 'first photo posting' on the forum. Looking forward to see more of your work. This putty chimney looks very nice.

Glen Haasdyk
Fireman

Posted - 01/17/2009 :  10:54:00 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Glen, is that a .308 boiler on your pile driver?

It is a shell used on the boiler but I can't remember the caliber. You're probably more aware of the size than I am. The sawmill has a simular boiler setup.
The whole buildup on the sawmill can be seen here:
http://www.modelrailroadforums.com/forum/showthread.php?t=7832

really nice cabin BTW.

bpate
Fireman

Posted - 02/21/2009 :  11:24:14 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hello everyone, It has been a while since I have posted anything but here is a scratch built O Scale house I have been working on recently. It is meant to suit my Australian Britannia Creek layout. Made from basswood. The windows and doors are either Tichy or Rusty Stumps and the stair stringers are also from Rusty, along with most of the basswood. Thanks to Bill Black for the foliage and to Bill, Mario and Graham for encouragement and ideas.

Dutchman
Administrator

Premium Member

Posted - 02/21/2009 :  11:35:31 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Barry, that is a really neat house. Good to see you posting again!

Edited by - Dutchman on 12/10/2009 07:41:08 AM

UKGuy
Fireman

Posted - 02/21/2009 :  11:54:08 PM  Show Profile  Visit UKGuy's Homepage  Send UKGuy a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
Looks great Barry, I really like the way the structure sits on the terrain and the slats around the base, a most interesting and unusual (modeled) setting, very nice structure.

Karl.A

Frederic Testard
Engineer

Premium Member

Posted - 02/22/2009 :  1:38:09 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Very nice building, Barry. I like this very interesting wooden "foundation" on the hillside.

bpate
Fireman

Posted - 02/22/2009 :  3:18:23 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks kindly Bruce, Karl and Frédéric. The wooden slats on the base are quite typical on timber houses of the area and period.

nalmeida
Fireman

Posted - 02/22/2009 :  6:15:01 PM  Show Profile  Visit nalmeida's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Great to see you back Barry, I miss the color and design of your layout/structures, do you have any updated pictures of your layout?

As for this structure, I love it, simple yet interesting, next time take some WIP pictures please.

bpate
Fireman

Posted - 02/24/2009 :  06:53:50 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thank you very much Nelson. I'll do some WIP photos for my next building. As for the layout, I'm re-working a section to make room for buildings.

LLIAXTEP
Engine Wiper

Posted - 04/13/2009 :  4:40:35 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I am fairlly new to model railroading
just a small contraption I have built a few months back. Wanted to try using crushed plaster to represent rough stonewrk (probably came out too rough) Oh well.....

http://narrowgaugeshops.wordpress.com/

LLIAXTEP
Engine Wiper

Posted - 04/13/2009 :  10:12:02 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote

and one more from a few years ago

http://narrowgaugeshops.wordpress.com/

Page: of 63 Previous Topic: Hamlin Wizard Oil Topic Next Topic: Ferris Wheel Restart  
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Previous Page | Next Page
Jump To:
Railroad Line Forums © 2000-19 Railroad Line Co. Go To Top Of Page
Steam was generated in 0.61 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000