Railroad Line Forums - Photo Gallery of things you have scratch built
Railroad Line Forums
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register
Forgot Password?
  Home   Forums   Events Calendar   Sponsors   Support the RRLine   Guestbook   FAQ     Register
Active Topics | Active Polls | Resources | Members | Online Users | Live Chat | Avatar Legend | Search | Statistics
Photo Album | File Lister | File Library
[ Active Members: 1 | Anonymous Members: 0 | Guests: 75 ]  [ Total: 76 ]  [ Newest Member: RocknTommy ]
 All Forums
 Model Railroad Forums
 Startin' from Scratch
 Photo Gallery of things you have scratch built
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Author Previous Topic: Hamlin Wizard Oil Topic Next Topic: Ferris Wheel Restart
Page: of 63

mwbpequod
Fireman

Posted - 09/06/2008 :  2:24:00 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Bruce,

Looks great! Very similar conceptually to what I did although I widened Lauthers and put it on steroids...

My "large" projects seem to take on a life of their own and end up taking over my entire shop area. The last one I did, "Clugston's Store", actually turned into "work" towards the end...

I've focused on some smaller buildings until I get up the nerve of forget the pain of a really large structure project. I do know what the next one is and it's pile of parts over in a box on my wood lathe table, "Richmond Furnace Barrel Factory". Got to have a place to put those pickles!

Language is a cracked kettle on which we beat out tunes for bears to dance to,
while all the time we long to move the stars to pity.

Frederic Testard
Engineer

Premium Member

Posted - 09/06/2008 :  4:43:18 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Terry, the unloader is really an impressive machine, and your work on it is impressive either. There really is a ton of details on such a model, and you've done it wonderfully.
Martin, your pickle factory looks great, and the roof and interior shots show your attention to good detailing.
Bruce, it's good to see again your version of the factory. Following this thread last year was a pleasure.

mwbpequod
Fireman

Posted - 09/06/2008 :  9:20:37 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Couldn't find a better interior picture, but I did find these:

You can "scratchbuild" cucumbers...

Terrell
Fireman

Posted - 09/06/2008 :  10:40:09 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Martin, how about a how to on the condemned to be pickles?

UKGuy
Fireman

Posted - 09/06/2008 :  11:01:04 PM  Show Profile  Visit UKGuy's Homepage  Send UKGuy a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
Terry... WOW!!, the model looks impressive at first sight, but then you look closer and see the ladders and weathering, then closer and see the steps and hand rails.... a truely remarkable piece of modeling. Very impressive workmanship.

Martin an extremely well detailed structure to be sure, even the cucumbers!

Bruce, I remember re-reading your thread after the construction was complete of your version and was very inspired by your techniques and information, so thanks again, a beautiful build.

I remember when I joined RRL almost 2 years ago the scratchbuilding side seemed to have had little or no activity for a longtime, I think it is really fantastic that so many members seem to be posting into this thread now, and it also seems that alot of the new recruits are also scratchbuilders. I love to see the innovation and craftsmanship that is displayed here even though unfortunately I dont have time to follow each build to the degree I would like to.

Regards,
Karl.A

mwbpequod
Fireman

Posted - 09/12/2008 :  11:53:59 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by mwbpequod

Ok, O scale cuc's or pickles for that matter. Start with some short grain white rice in a paper cup and add green food coloring with a little water to "taste". Pour off the excess and dry on paper towel. When dry seal with gloss/dull coat (some of each) with much tossing, etc to get complete coverage. Let dry. Glue into place where desired. No issues with bugs or varmints to date

Terrell
Fireman

Posted - 09/12/2008 :  1:06:36 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks, for the how-to, Martin.

Does it go faster if you use minute rice?

deemery
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 09/12/2008 :  10:08:29 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
he Look! Scale pickles!
she Why would anyone want scale pickles?
he To go in his scale pickle factory. Look at these photos!
she And why would anyone want a scale pickle factory?
he For his scale people, particularly the scale pregnant women.
she That's too weird! How can you say women are weird for liking shoes, when men like scale pickle factories?
he provided no response...

I hereby attest to this being a true transcript of the above conversation.

dave

Modeling 1890s (because the voices in my head told me to)

Edited by - deemery on 09/13/2008 10:00:29 AM

cpetersonmd
Engine Wiper

Posted - 09/15/2008 :  3:31:36 PM  Show Profile  Click to see cpetersonmd's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Wow Terry, the Hulett has come out great. i was just wondering how the project was going and when we would see an update. Great weathering as well.
Any idea on placement on your layout? any pics of the proposed area or trackplan?

Chris

teejay
Fireman

Posted - 09/16/2008 :  10:36:41 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Chris , after building the first Hulett and part of the second , I had to take a break from it and concentrate on other things like building the layout .
I've made pretty good progress on a rather different steel mill layout since my structures ....blast furnace and cast house , open hearth , coke ovens , Huletts and ore freighter are on slightly different elevations ..., but since my camera went kaput there will be no pics for a while . Hopefully I can rectify the camera problem before too long .

T

SDB
Section Hand

Posted - 09/24/2008 :  10:05:10 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi guys --

I usually only lurk on these forums and try to soak up the sage advice given by others. However, I recently finished a scratchbuild of a Boston triple-decker, and I thought I might share some photos of my effort. It's built in HO scale, and is shown as sitting on my Free-mo module (under construction) in my basement. This is (almost) my first scratchbuild, so I still have some things to learn.

A "triple decker" is a type of worker housing common in eastern Mass, particularly around Boston. It is a three-story wood-frame multi-family house, with one apartment on each floor. As a rule, a triple decker has a bay window on the front and a door (or doors) to the side. There is also always some type of utility porch at the rear of the structure.

A triple decker usually has a flat roof, and a second bay window on the side (but not always). There is also commonly a set of front porches, one per floor. However, these features don't have to be present. Depending upon the socio-economic level of the location where the triple-decker was built, it can have more or less of these features. That is, triple deckers in poor towns are fairly plain, while triple deckers in (slightly) better off towns will have more features and adornments.

Since I'm (slowly) modeling a town in eastern Mass, I needed to model a triple decker. (Actually, I need model more than one triple decker, but this is the first one I completed.) The main structure of this model was scratch-built from styrene. The structure walls are Evergreen Scale Models clapboard, and the windows are Grandt Line windows. The roofline trim is constructed from styrene strips and a teflon insulator from McMaster-Carr. The back porch was made from scale wooden lumber and roof and siding sheets from Grandt line.

This first triple decker is entirely hand-build based upon plans I drew up using QCad. I am already working on a second one. However, for my second triple decker, I am trying out a laser cutting service to cut the walls of the main structure since cutting out all the windows was such a PITA.

Please enjoy these photos of my first triple decker model, and let me know what you think of my modest effort! I am always open to suggestions which might help me with my next triple decker!

CieloVistaRy
Fireman

Posted - 10/14/2008 :  12:08:51 AM  Show Profile  Send CieloVistaRy an AOL message  Reply with Quote
SDB,

Great job on the triple decker! I live close to Boston and see them all the time.. are you modeling them as they are today, or modeling a specific era? So many of those back decks on the triple-deckers today, are sagging and really weathered, and a few of them look in danger of collapsing.. especially around Dorchester.. you can see them from I-93.

Arthur

Arthur

http://www.railroad-line.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=40645

George D

Premium Member

Posted - 10/14/2008 :  08:58:04 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
SDB, I missed this thread and Iím glad Arthur brought it back to the top. Thatís a fine looking building. You did a nice job on those porches.

George

SDB
Section Hand

Posted - 10/15/2008 :  2:35:26 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks, guys, for the compliments! This is my first major scratchbuilding effort, so it's nice to hear that people like it.

Arthur, I am aiming to model the 1950s. The original plan was to try to model the Lexington branch of the B&M, which is nowadays the Minuteman bike path. My wife is from Arlington, and we live there now. When we got married, I promised her I'd try to create a model of Arlington Center in the '50s, when the commuter train passed right through it. That was my way to get her buy-in into the RR hobby, and make it seem a little less kooky. The plan was to do "Little Arlington" as a Free-mo module set.

Then, to my wife's dismay, I decided to make some triple deckers since they are typical Boston area structures, and seemed easy to scratchbuild. My wife was unhappy because, well, Arlington is not the kind of place with triple deckers. There are a few scattered around Arlington, but, as you say, they are more common in places like Dorchester, Somerville, East Boston, etc. On the other hand, I find them visually appealing, and the models will delight New Englanders who will readily recognize them. Therefore, "Little Arlington" will have some triple decker neighborhoods. So much for the prototype....

Anyway, I don't intend to make them look totally decrepit. In keeping with the 1950s, I want to make them look respectable and well cared for, but not ritzy. Eventually, I'll surround the triple deckers with chain-link fences, put laundry on clotheslines in the back yard, and maybe put little Virgin Mary statues in the front yards of a few of the triple deckers. That will look a lot like a neighborhood around Boston!

archangel1
New Hire

Posted - 10/18/2008 :  01:23:01 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
This is a building I constructed as part of a backdrop for some Wild West miniatures I'm painting. It's not strictly 'model railroading' but uses the same techniques I use when working on railroad structures. It's roughly 1/56 scale so it's in between O and S. In fact, I'll be using S Gauge rails when I work on some train miniatures.
This is the Blacksmith. If the post works, I'll show you the Livery later.

Any questions, just ask.

Cheers,
Mike

Page: of 63 Previous Topic: Hamlin Wizard Oil Topic Next Topic: Ferris Wheel Restart  
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Previous Page | Next Page
Jump To:
Railroad Line Forums © 2000-19 Railroad Line Co. Go To Top Of Page
Steam was generated in 1 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000