Railroad Line Forums - Photo Gallery of things you have scratch built
Railroad Line Forums
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register
Forgot Password?
  Home   Forums   Events Calendar   Sponsors   Support the RRLine   Guestbook   FAQ     Register
Active Topics | Active Polls | Resources | Members | Online Users | Live Chat | Avatar Legend | Search | Statistics
Photo Album | File Lister | File Library
[ Active Members: 5 | Anonymous Members: 0 | Guests: 87 ]  [ Total: 92 ]  [ Newest Member: RocknTommy ]
 All Forums
 Model Railroad Forums
 Startin' from Scratch
 Photo Gallery of things you have scratch built
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Author Previous Topic: Hamlin Wizard Oil Topic Next Topic: Ferris Wheel Restart
Page: of 63

Rick
Administrator

Premium Member

Posted - 03/11/2008 :  5:33:30 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Terrell, my hats off too. Excellent modeling!

Dutchman
Administrator

Premium Member

Posted - 03/11/2008 :  5:44:18 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Most excellent, Terrell!

You should include some closer-up shots of those details in this month's Photo Gallery!

Terrell
Fireman

Posted - 03/11/2008 :  6:06:03 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks to everyone for the kind words.
Bruce, I posted several shots of the shop interior in last months thread. But perhaps they weren't real close ups. I will need to take more pics, hopefully with the new camera it will be easier to get good closeups than it has been in the past. Or perhaps I have been trying to capture too much detail in the shots. I'm a modeler first, photographer, distant second.

But again, thanks, all.

Terrell
Fireman

Posted - 03/12/2008 :  11:04:23 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
A close up of the roundhouse mentioned earlier. All is scratch. The turntable at present is an armstrong (actually fingerstrong ) I have yet to motorize it.

Danny Head
Fireman

Posted - 03/12/2008 :  11:42:54 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Terrell, this is top notch!. Danny

desertdrover
Engineer

Posted - 03/12/2008 :  11:46:57 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Terrell, for being scratchbuilt, this could be an outstanding kit. Ever think of going into business???
You said your TT is (actually fingerstrong) don't be like Dave and mess up that finger, or the turntable won't work at all.

Louis
Pacific Northwest Logging in the East Coast

Edited by - desertdrover on 03/12/2008 11:50:04 AM

Terrell
Fireman

Posted - 03/12/2008 :  2:08:19 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks, Danny & Louis. Going into business is a nice thought. If only I knew how to get it beyond a thought.

CieloVistaRy
Fireman

Posted - 03/12/2008 :  9:47:00 PM  Show Profile  Send CieloVistaRy an AOL message  Reply with Quote

This is a gorgeous mill, Frederic! Did you work off plans? What wood did you use?

Thanks,

Arthur

Arthur

http://www.railroad-line.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=40645

Terrell
Fireman

Posted - 03/13/2008 :  12:11:45 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
In this photo, all is scratch, except for the 2 trucks and the rolling stock on the far right. HO scale.

TrainClown
Fireman

Posted - 03/13/2008 :  5:22:39 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
More excellent work, Terrell.

Frederic, that mine is just wonderful. Is there a plan as to what all the different parts of the building does, or are they just arbitrary in placement to look good?

Christopher

Clowning around with trains.

JBL
Engine Wiper

Premium Member

Posted - 03/16/2008 :  08:10:26 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Nothing special, just another building. HO scale.

Frederic Testard
Engineer

Premium Member

Posted - 03/16/2008 :  10:13:16 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Sorry Christopher and Arthur, I had missed your questions about the mine.
The model was essentially freelanced, but very much inspired by pictures of mines above Pandora, near Telluride, CO. I found these pics in RGS vol. 2. The general design of the mining complex was done so that it fit the relatively small space I had available, but also so that there is some logic in the layout of the buildings. The mill receives ore from an aerial tram and from the mine I showed in the other picture. The ore is then being roughly sorted then shipped to the train for further treatment in a distant smelter.
The coal building on the right was built after plans by Dave Addams in a Narrow Gauge Gazette, and the little building on the left of the platform was designed after one of the buildings in Sierra West twin sawmills kit.
The wood I used is called "samba" in France. It's easily available in model boats shops, it's a little less good than basswood but gives a nice finish. All the structures, except the tunnel which interior is visible, were built over a cardboard core, covered with strips of wood. Windows are by Grandt Line.

Tim Kerkhoff
Fireman

Posted - 03/16/2008 :  10:40:17 AM  Show Profile  Send Tim Kerkhoff a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
Frederic,
That is a beatiful structure, everything just seems so right. The colors, weathering and surrounding terrain is magnificient modeling.

rrkreitler
Crew Chief

Premium Member

Posted - 03/16/2008 :  10:41:08 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Frederic,

That mine is beautiful. Excellent craftsmanship.
I have been busy with my truck project and have not been spending as much time on the forum the last 6 months so I apologize if this question has already been answered in another thread...

Do you have a layout or do you just build dioramas? I have seen a number of your photos lately and your work is outstanding. I was curious as to whether you had a layout and if so, was there a collection of photos somewhere?

Thanks,
Dave K in NB

Frederic Testard
Engineer

Premium Member

Posted - 03/16/2008 :  11:48:45 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Dave

This mining complex is part of my "permanent" Sn3 layout. This layout, though, has never reached the operationnal stage, and it will never since I plan to dismantle it soon and build an On30 layout instead. There are two main reasons to this change. Although spectacular, the design of the Sn3 layout was quite complicate, with places hard to reach and maintain. The second reason is the lack of affordable motive power in this scale. PBL engines are outstanding but cost a lot, and even Railmaster kits are much more expensive than the current standard On30 engines. Things could change a little with PBL's new project of a diecast locomotive, but I'm afraid it will remain an expensive scale and gauge. I plan to rebuild another, simpler, layout featuring this mine in another part of my garage one day, and use only a few engines on it.
Since almost everything was scratchbuilt on this soon-to-have-been layout, I think I can add to this thread a few more pictures of its highline - the only part I have finished on it.

First the complete Alexandria mining complex and what you see from the top of the water tank. (The Grand Central mine in the top left is a Classic Miniatures kit).

Starting from there, the line crosses two bridges...

before reaching a much welcome water tank, the loading tipple and the B&B Gold Mining Company (inspired from the old Leaverite Mine : about ten years ago, plans for this remarkable kit were sold by Caboose Hobbies).

Then the loco is turned at the turntable.

Far below, on the other terminal, this Chama inspired sandhouse was part of a never finished yard. A very easy model to scratchbuild despite its relatively complicate appearance.

Page: of 63 Previous Topic: Hamlin Wizard Oil Topic Next Topic: Ferris Wheel Restart  
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Previous Page | Next Page
Jump To:
Railroad Line Forums © 2000-19 Railroad Line Co. Go To Top Of Page
Steam was generated in 0.5 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000