Railroad Line Forums - Photo Gallery of things you have scratch built
Railroad Line Forums
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register
Forgot Password?
  Home   Forums   Events Calendar   Sponsors   Support the RRLine   Guestbook   FAQ     Register
Active Topics | Active Polls | Resources | Members | Online Users | Live Chat | Avatar Legend | Search | Statistics
Photo Album | File Lister | File Library
[ Active Members: 7 | Anonymous Members: 0 | Guests: 94 ]  [ Total: 101 ]  [ Newest Member: buford763 ]
 All Forums
 Model Railroad Forums
 Startin' from Scratch
 Photo Gallery of things you have scratch built
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Author Previous Topic: Southern Railway All Door Boxcar - N scale Topic Next Topic: 3D Printing (Rapid Prototyping)
Page: of 61

MikeC
Administrator

Premium Member

Posted - 03/09/2005 :  3:02:46 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
A lot of the scratchbuilding I've been doing in the last few years is not whole structures. Rather, it's just little things that I've made to change kits that I've worked on. Faulks' Oil is a prime example.

Faulks' is actually part of Sierra West's Railroad Camp kit. However, assembled according to the manual, it lacked doors or any real identity beyond the generic title "truck repair shed." So I built two sets of simple freight-type doors (for the front and back of the building) and made a sign to give the structure some actual identity. Not a big deal as scratchbuilding goes, but those small items made a big difference, I feel, in the final appearance of the structure.

[b

nalmeida
Fireman

Posted - 03/09/2005 :  3:53:42 PM  Show Profile  Visit nalmeida's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I couldn't agree more with you Mike, what you've done with all of the railroad camp structures was really amazing.

Chuck Doan
Fireman

Posted - 03/09/2005 :  3:57:55 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Mike,
Thanks for posting Faulks Oil. I saw several pics over on the Finescale Railroader site and meant to say how much I liked it. I'm kinda partial to these types of buldings! The detailing out back is great, tire stacks and all. Those doors and overall coloring are super!

Good stuff.
Chuck D.

NickO
Fireman

Posted - 03/09/2005 :  4:02:21 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote

Here's a rubbish shot of my O Scale version of Sierra West's Tractor and Repair Shed I did a few years ago . I can't remember if I've posted this photo before , but as it is the only structure of any substance that I've scratch built , I have to keep repeating myself .
One day I'll get around to finishing it .

NickO

postalkarl
Fireman

Posted - 03/09/2005 :  4:22:12 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Lot of nice stuff guys. keep em comming.

Karl S

nalmeida
Fireman

Posted - 03/09/2005 :  5:45:08 PM  Show Profile  Visit nalmeida's Homepage  Reply with Quote
That sratchbuilt version of the Tractor and Loco reapair shed looks great NickO, do you have other pictures of it you could post?

NickO
Fireman

Posted - 03/09/2005 :  7:04:18 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote

Here you are , Nelson , a few more shots .
I'm afraid everyone else has seen them loads of times before , so they will be yawning with boredom , but I hope you like them . I must get around to taking a complete set of decent photos .
You will see that the interior is a bit sparse,and I am slowly collecting some detail parts to finish it off .But not having a deadline like Dave Revelia did when he built his even larger version , I have been rather slow at getting back to it .

NickO

Bbags
Administrator

Premium Member

Posted - 03/09/2005 :  7:37:27 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Mr. Nick,
Stop being so modest, I enjoyed the pictures just as much the second time around.
I also look forward to the completion of this structure someday.

John Bagley
Modeling the Alaska Railroad in HO in Wildwood Georgia.

Bbags
Administrator

Premium Member

Posted - 03/09/2005 :  8:00:22 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I want to thank all who have posted in this thread as there are some great examples of scratch built structures and rolling stock that can be seen here.

Just so others who may not feel that their work is good enough to be posted here, I am going to post a picture of my first scratch build.
This is a warehouse loosely based on a structure from Mystic Seaport in Connecticut.
It is done with scribed siding and you can see I was doing nail holes right from the beginning.
The windows and doors are Campbells as when I started modeling I did not know anything about Grandt Line and Tichy details.
The roofing is also Campbells.
The structure was never finished but with some work I think I can make this into a decent model.

So if anyone thinks that only perfect models must be posted here that is not the case.
So please feel free to post pictures of anything that you have scratch built.

John Bagley

NickO
Fireman

Posted - 03/09/2005 :  8:16:56 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote

John ,

"Modesty" is my middle name , just ask Uncle Bri !

That first scratch built building of yours , would it have been based on the bright red boat repair building in the shipyard ,by any chance ? You certainly had to do some "selective compressing" to get the size of your building .
There are some very interesting buildings at Mystic which are crying out to be modelled. I would love to go back for a second look sometime,this time with a tape measure and pencil and paper .

NickO

belg
Fireman

Posted - 03/09/2005 :  9:58:05 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I have heard the name Mystic mentioned more then once where is it? And are there some prototype photo floating around?
I guess since things don't have to be perfect or finished I'll add a shot or two,Pat

Edited by - belg on 03/10/2005 07:29:02 AM

wvrr
Fireman

Posted - 03/10/2005 :  09:36:56 AM  Show Profile  Visit wvrr's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Pat,

Mystic, Connecticut. A coastal town close to the Rhode Island border.

Chuck

Scott McCabe
Engine Wiper

Posted - 03/10/2005 :  09:43:50 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Here is another scratch build that I did. Its named the WJM Wholesale Machinery Co. named for my late father William John McCabe who was a machinest for 30 years. The structure is HO scale. Diorama measures 24 " x 24"

Download Attachment: wjm 2.jpg
53.94 KB

Download Attachment: wjm 3.jpg
55.19 KB

Download Attachment: wjm 4.jpg
50.36 KB

Download Attachment: wjm adjusted.jpg
53.93 KB

The LL&M
Lawrence, Lowell & Manchester Railroad Circa 1935

Bbags
Administrator

Premium Member

Posted - 03/10/2005 :  09:58:08 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by NickO

John ,

"Modesty" is my middle name , just ask Uncle Bri !

That first scratch built building of yours , would it have been based on the bright red boat repair building in the shipyard ,by any chance ? You certainly had to do some "selective compressing" to get the size of your building .
There are some very interesting buildings at Mystic which are crying out to be modelled. I would love to go back for a second look sometime,this time with a tape measure and pencil and paper .

NickO

Yes Mr. Nick that would be the one.
When I was a youngun we did not receive birthday presents but were allowed to pick a place to visit for the day.
I think I picked Mystic Seaport for like 6 or 7 straight years.

Pat,
Here is a link to the Seaport.
http://www.mysticseaport.org/

The Seaport is a whaling village that has been created and they also do restorations.
It is large and has many different buildings on it which would make great models.
It also has the Charles W. Morgan a former whaling ship that is there to visit and walk through.
When I first started modeling the first thing I chose to model was the Morgan.
It would make a great day trip as there is much to see and much to do in the area.
If you Google for images you will find about 4000 pictures of the Seaport.
I plan to visit it again when I am back in Connecticut this April.

John Bagley

Bbags
Administrator

Premium Member

Posted - 03/10/2005 :  10:03:28 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Scott,
Thanks, that is a beautiful model and a wonderful tribute to your father.
I definitely see an influence from George Sellios in the structure.
Do you have some more scratch builds you can post for us to see.

John Bagley

Page: of 61 Previous Topic: Southern Railway All Door Boxcar - N scale Topic Next Topic: 3D Printing (Rapid Prototyping)  
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Previous Page | Next Page
Jump To:
Railroad Line Forums © 2000-17 Railroad Line Co. Go To Top Of Page
Steam was generated in 0.55 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000