Railroad Line Forums - Photo Gallery of things you have scratch built
Railroad Line Forums
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register
Forgot Password?
  Home   Forums   Events Calendar   Sponsors   Support the RRLine   Guestbook   FAQ     Register
Active Topics | Active Polls | Resources | Members | Online Users | Live Chat | Avatar Legend | Search | Statistics
Photo Album | File Lister | File Library
[ Active Members: 4 | Anonymous Members: 0 | Guests: 91 ]  [ Total: 95 ]  [ Newest Member: Alex Italy ]
 All Forums
 Model Railroad Forums
 Startin' from Scratch
 Photo Gallery of things you have scratch built
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Author Previous Topic: On building MoW cars Topic Next Topic: Railroad Street Buildings
Page: of 67

belg
Fireman

Posted - 05/30/2007 :  06:03:56 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by UKGuy

They have a light unit with around 100 optic wires for putting in a pot plant for $3.99,Karl.A

No officer I'm not growing pot plants I model them! Pretty cheap for a pot plant, too. Pat

belg
Fireman

Posted - 05/30/2007 :  06:07:05 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
John, this is some great work. The coloring and wood look fantastic. What did you use to make the driving mechanism? Gears, head pieces, and so on, Thanks Pat

Edited by - belg on 05/30/2007 06:09:51 AM

cnj999
Engine Wiper

Posted - 05/30/2007 :  08:41:50 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by belg

John, this is some great work. The coloring and wood look fantastic. What did you use to make the driving mechanism? Gears, head pieces, and so on, Thanks Pat

Actually, other than the human figures, the truck tires and the two large pulleys at the top of the derrick, everything you see is pretty much scratch, or in a few cases a highly modified "something else". That big pile driving weight on the derrick was once a dollhouse-scale butter churn!

John

Rick
Administrator

Premium Member

Posted - 05/30/2007 :  10:41:05 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
John, your barge looks very real. Great job!

Brunton
Crew Chief

Posted - 06/15/2007 :  12:17:36 PM  Show Profile  Visit Brunton's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Here's a couple of shots of my ONLY two scratchbuilt structures (to date) - a generic clapboard station and a small tool shed built with left-over materials from the station. They were constructed about 15 years ago, and follow no specific prototype. As I begin detailing the area of the layout where these sit, I'll add more detail and weathering.

Edited by - Brunton on 06/15/2007 12:39:54 PM

jaweichert
New Hire

Posted - 07/10/2007 :  09:19:28 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
As a newcomer I though I would jump in and lower the standard a bit for others that follow. This ice house and dock were my second scratch built item (My dog got the first and destroyed it). I am still looking for figures to work on the ice dock any help will be welcome.
john

Dutchman
Administrator

Premium Member

Posted - 07/11/2007 :  2:07:03 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
John,

I love the icing station. Preiser, Woodland Scenics, and Model Power all make loading dock figures that you could use with your model. Also, J.L. Innovative and Creative Model Associates have ice blocks that you could use. Their Walthers part numbers are 361-205 and 363-1012 respectively. Here is a link to the J.L Innovative ice blocks. http://www.walthers.com/exec/productinfo/361-205

You could also make ice blocks from the clear acrylic rod stock that Plastruct offers.

Bruce

Darkwolfe
New Hire

Posted - 08/09/2007 :  10:49:09 PM  Show Profile  Visit Darkwolfe's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I've really got to be motivated to do a scratch build. In this case I needed a short, rough bridge to cross a decent sized creek. I didn't want to spend $30 on kits or specialty parts. So, in the end I dived into scratch building for the very first time. No measurements and only eyeballing things to bring it together. The bridge crosses at an angle as well. The left side comes off of a 90 degree bank, but the right side is less that 45 degrees, the supporting bent underneath on that end is longer and angled to match the creek bank. Ugly? Yep. Workable? Yep. Something that happened on the real logging railroads? You bet.

This bridge was built out of a dollar's worth of balsa strip wood, Elmer's glue, and some leftover redwood stain. The creek bed underneath is sand from the Missouri river.

There's still rail to travel...

The Railroad in my basement.
http://www.flickr.com/photos/midwestrr/sets/72157600209119820/

Edited by - Darkwolfe on 08/09/2007 10:54:24 PM

Dutchman
Administrator

Premium Member

Posted - 08/10/2007 :  06:33:42 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Nice little bridge, David, and that saw mill in the background is pretty neat, too.

Bruce

George D

Premium Member

Posted - 08/10/2007 :  08:05:29 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Nice work, David. The only way you can get a bridge like that to fit properly, with all the angles, is to scratch build it. It would never have looked as good if you forced a kit into that space.

George

Darkwolfe
New Hire

Posted - 08/10/2007 :  10:18:45 PM  Show Profile  Visit Darkwolfe's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Thanks for the complements guys. Makes me feel like I'm doing something right for a change! :)

The mill is the Woodland Scenics kit. It's a stinker, but patience will get some good results. Only bad part is that WS has had some casting issues and a couple of the parts I got were unusable. On the good side, a couple of emails got replacement parts and an apolgy with comments about reviewing their QC process. I was rather impressed!

There's still rail to travel...

The Railroad in my basement.
http://www.flickr.com/photos/midwestrr/sets/72157600209119820/

PaulD
Crew Chief

Posted - 08/12/2007 :  08:16:24 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I recently got some of Rusty's great laser cut doors and windows in 0 gauge and was busting to build something. I picked up a neat motorbike in 0 gauge at our NG Convention, so decided to build a small repair shop with a small blacksmith shed out the back.

there is lots more signage to come but as my friend Barry came over today with his great camera and expert knowledge he took these for me. It also has Rusty's great shake shingles on the roof

I really enjoyed this little build as a break from my Swakhammers scratchbuild.
Dunny

bpate
Fireman

Posted - 08/12/2007 :  08:44:38 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Paul, Your motorbike repair shed looks even better than these pictures convey. Thanks for your hospitality today and for those large backdrop printouts you did for me.

Dutchman
Administrator

Premium Member

Posted - 08/12/2007 :  09:15:01 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Paul, that is a great looking little repair shop -- and a great use of Walt's windows and doors.

While no where near as eye catching as your repair shop, I recently used some of Walt's doors when I made this little crew shed for my yard area.

Bruce

Dick Kuepper
Fireman

Posted - 08/12/2007 :  10:48:17 AM  Show Profile  Visit Dick Kuepper's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by PaulD

I recently got some of Rusty's great laser cut doors and windows in 0 gauge and was busting to build something. I picked up a neat motorbike in 0 gauge at our NG Convention, so decided to build a small repair shop with a small blacksmith shed out the back.
Dunny

Dunny - In the second photo, the horseman looks like he's ready to be hanged!! Great little diorama!!

Page: of 67 Previous Topic: On building MoW cars Topic Next Topic: Railroad Street Buildings  
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Previous Page | Next Page
Jump To:
Railroad Line Forums © 2000-2020 Railroad Line Co. Go To Top Of Page
Steam was generated in 0.47 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000