Railroad Line Forums - Photo Gallery of things you have scratch built
Railroad Line Forums
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register
Forgot Password?
  Home   Forums   Events Calendar   Sponsors   Support the RRLine   Guestbook   FAQ     Register
Active Topics | Active Polls | Resources | Members | Online Users | Live Chat | Avatar Legend | Search | Statistics
Photo Album | File Lister | File Library
[ Active Members: 3 | Anonymous Members: 0 | Guests: 79 ]  [ Total: 82 ]  [ Newest Member: tx28 ]
 All Forums
 Model Railroad Forums
 Startin' from Scratch
 Photo Gallery of things you have scratch built
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Author Previous Topic: Hamlin Wizard Oil Topic Next Topic: Ferris Wheel Restart
Page: of 63

Tabooma County Rwy
Fireman

Posted - 11/04/2006 :  10:44:38 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Joe, that is an awesome scratchbuilt station! I am really impressed with that roof, too - like you said, that must have been very difficult, but you pulled it off very well!

Joe Rutter
Engine Wiper

Posted - 11/04/2006 :  2:47:30 PM  Show Profile  Visit Joe Rutter's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Hi Paul and others:

The easy way to apply a cedar shake roof is to buy the shakes ... Ha Ha.

No, seriously I would be happy to demonstrate.

Should I start a seperate thread in the scratch building area? Perhaps something similar has been done in the past? Maybe Mike C can let us know.

Bbags
Administrator

Premium Member

Posted - 11/04/2006 :  4:16:08 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Joe Rutter

Hi Paul and others:

The easy way to apply a cedar shake roof is to buy the shakes ... Ha Ha.

No, seriously I would be happy to demonstrate.

Should I start a seperate thread in the scratch building area? Perhaps something similar has been done in the past? Maybe Mike C can let us know.

Hi Joe,
While I am not Mike C I will give you permission(actually you can start almost any thread you want around here) to start a new thread right here in the scratch building forum.
That is hopefully the best part of the forum, sharing ideas and techniques with others.

John Bagley
Modeling the Alaska Railroad in HO in Wildwood Georgia.

Tim Kerkhoff
Fireman

Posted - 11/04/2006 :  6:13:10 PM  Show Profile  Send Tim Kerkhoff a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
Joe,

I agree with John, start a thread and I am certain it will get a lot of reads.

Your station looks great, I really like all the windows, details and the gorgeous roof. Looking forward to seeing more.

railmus
Fireman

Posted - 11/04/2006 :  7:53:04 PM  Show Profile  Visit railmus's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Joe;

What a wonderful job on the station!!
The rest of the fellas and gals should realize you have put out a line of laser cut structures that are just beautiful. I saw them at the Woodstock (Ontario) show a few weeks ago and had to buy one!

Link is WWW.fullsteamahead.ca

Joe Rutter
Engine Wiper

Posted - 11/04/2006 :  10:28:02 PM  Show Profile  Visit Joe Rutter's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Thanks for the plug John... now get back to the Barrel Factory!

I'll start the cedar shake topic early next week when I have a few moments.

Everyone interested should start their hand exercises now ... my hand cramps after the first 500 snips.

bcosier
New Hire

Posted - 12/28/2006 :  03:27:54 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi everyone,

There is some fantastic work in this thread, I have spent a couple of hours browsing through it and have picked up some real good ideas. But now itís my turn. This is my first real attempt at scratchbuilding. (real meaning not just messing around trying to learn) Iím pretty happy with the way it came out. Here are some pics.

Now, I know a lot of you will recognize the design, I saw a picture of a kit from Mt. Albert Scale Models in Model Railroader a few months ago, and I really like the design. Then after starting the deck, I saw the Campbell Scale Models kit in the Waltherís catalog. So thank you to the original designers for the idea.

I built this board by board using the HO scale strip styrene from Evergreen. I combined a few different techniques for making the plastic really look like wood. You canít see it from these pics, but there is grain on all of the boards, and I use an airbrush, so the effect is pretty good. The roof is from Evergreen also. I used Rust-All on the roof; it looks a lot rustier in the pictures than it does in person, probably something with the flash. The windows are from the Tichy Train Group, and I used no. 1 microscope slide cover glass for the windows. I really like the look of the real glass; it makes the reflections look very natural. I hand cut the stringers for the staircases, but Iím not very happy with the way they came out. I ordered some the other day from Rusty Stumps Scale Models so theyíll look better soon.

Iím really pleased with the way it came out, and itíll look good on the new layout Iím working on now. Iím still up in the air on what area Iíll be modeling, but Iíll find a place for it somewhere.

Iím going to put a little detail work in it now. Iíd like to add some gutters and downspouts but havenít found anything yet. Any suggestions on what to use will be greatly appreciated.

Take care everyone and keep on building.

BC

railphotog
Fireman

Posted - 12/28/2006 :  06:45:22 AM  Show Profile  Visit railphotog's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Looks like you're trying to insert links from your own computer for the photos, won't work. They have to be hosted on another website for this to work using the IMG tags. Upload you photos to a site such as Photobucket - www.photobucket.com and use the links they supply. Or use the "Reply to topic" button at the bottom of message and upload your (80kb or less) photos to the forum. Readers will click on the links to see your photos.

Good luck!

Bob Boudreau
My model railroad photography website:
http://sites.google.com/site/railphotog/

Bbags
Administrator

Premium Member

Posted - 12/28/2006 :  09:08:57 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi Brian,
As Bob has said the pictures only show up as red X's to us.
Since they are on your hard drive you can see them but we can't.

So you can either host them on another web site as Bob suggested or you can use the following threads to up-load them directly to the forum.
While a little confusing at first once you get the idea then it is pretty easy.

The first thread explains how to up-load them to the forum.
http://www.railroad-line.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=15110

This thread is only needed if you have to resize the pictures since the forum has a limit on the size of a picture that can be up-loaded.

http://www.railroad-line.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=5383

If you have any questions please ask, as we all look forward to seeing the pictures.

John Bagley
Modeling the Alaska Railroad in HO in Wildwood Georgia.

bcosier
New Hire

Posted - 12/28/2006 :  09:31:57 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks for the heads up on the pictures. It's been a few years since I used a forum on a regular basis. I tried to upload the pics, but got an error saying the website was having maintenance done, so I'll try again in a bit.

D'oh!!

BC

bcosier
New Hire

Posted - 12/28/2006 :  3:33:56 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi again everyone,

Ok, I think I got it now. I took Railphotog's suggestion and uploaded them to Photobucket.com.

I sure hope this works. Please let me know if there's any problems seeing the pictures.

Enjoy

BC

railphotog
Fireman

Posted - 12/28/2006 :  3:46:41 PM  Show Profile  Visit railphotog's Homepage  Reply with Quote
It sure worked! You can always click on the "Preview Reply" button at the bottom of the message panel to see how it will work.

Bob Boudreau
My model railroad photography website:
http://sites.google.com/site/railphotog/

Dutchman
Administrator

Premium Member

Posted - 12/28/2006 :  4:26:51 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Brian, congratulations on your two firsts: posting your first pictures, and finishing up your first 'real' scratchbuild. Nice job.

bcosier
New Hire

Posted - 12/28/2006 :  4:28:09 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I did that with my first post and it looked fine, that's why I wanted some verification from an outside source. Just wanted to make sure that they were posted this time.

Railphotog, I took a look at your site, good stuff. I've been dying to get a digital SLR for a while, but I'll have to stick with my K1000 for a bit longer.

BC

essodee
Fireman

Posted - 12/28/2006 :  5:12:10 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Nice scratch build Brian, and congratulations on mastering the photo-posting process, it's a rite of initiation that we all struggle with the first time.

I like how it's wide open on the first floor, but that means you have a ton of detailing to do to bring it to life. the front porch and underpinning are particularly striking. Well done.

Stevie O'D

Page: of 63 Previous Topic: Hamlin Wizard Oil Topic Next Topic: Ferris Wheel Restart  
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Previous Page | Next Page
Jump To:
Railroad Line Forums © 2000-19 Railroad Line Co. Go To Top Of Page
Steam was generated in 0.69 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000