Railroad Line Forums - Photo Gallery of things you have scratch built
Railroad Line Forums
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register
Forgot Password?
  Home   Forums   Events Calendar   Sponsors   Support the RRLine   Guestbook   FAQ     Register
Active Topics | Active Polls | Resources | Members | Online Users | Live Chat | Avatar Legend | Search | Statistics
Photo Album | File Lister | File Library
[ Active Members: 2 | Anonymous Members: 0 | Guests: 327 ]  [ Total: 329 ]  [ Newest Member: Katie360 ]
 All Forums
 Model Railroad Forums
 Startin' from Scratch
 Photo Gallery of things you have scratch built
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Author Previous Topic: Zenith Radio Topic Next Topic: Something different on my bench..
Page: of 64

Tabooma County Rwy
Fireman

Posted - 02/19/2006 :  2:24:28 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks, Todd, I really enjoyed the link to the other pictures. Very inspirational!

JBL
Engine Wiper

Premium Member

Posted - 03/12/2006 :  03:55:04 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hello,

I have just completed another ATSF-Depot.

nalmeida
Fireman

Posted - 03/12/2006 :  08:00:04 AM  Show Profile  Visit nalmeida's Homepage  Reply with Quote
It's another great looking structure Jens.

geoawelch
Engine Wiper

Posted - 04/09/2006 :  4:15:58 PM  Show Profile  Send geoawelch an AOL message  Reply with Quote
Hi Folks,

Have posted these photos before elsewhere on the forum, but came across this thread while browsing.

The first building was scratchbuilt a number of years ago. The inspiration came from reading the first Franklin and South Manchester Book. George Sellios built this structure from the March 1955 RMC article by Lloyd Geibner. He rebuilt it for the F and SM as Nascot Flour Mills. I left off the ductwork until I ultimately placed it on a layout (it's still waiting!).

The second structure is from the March 1987 MR article by Wayne Wezolowski. There is currently an open thread for this building.

George
Dunbarton, NH

“Everything will be all right in the end. If it’s not all right, it’s not the end”

Dreamweaver
Crew Chief

Posted - 04/23/2006 :  01:37:31 AM  Show Profile  Send Dreamweaver a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
Hi All,

I decieded that my club layout's main yard needed a tower.

So I started one last night.

I decieded to make the tower live at the east end of the yard next to the shop and yard office.

I made this tower from scratch using styrene and plans right out of my own imagination, and this is what I came up with.

It's not done yet I need to wait till next weekend because I had to order more railing and the LHS orders monday for friday del.

I started with the roof and window structures taking some ques from air traffic control towers I made the windows slanted out at the top to help with glare from the sun.

Next I made the lower walls.

Now I made these walls 4' high and the windows are 8' however when I put "big Fred" the yard master in there he could barely see over the walls come to find out Fred is only big around the middle he only stands 5' tall so I made some alterations to my plans.

notice the raised floor under the control board.

Now about the control board, If you look close you can see a schematic of the yard along with the switches and lights for the switches this is a modern remote control yard all switches are operated by Fred and his partner "old Lew" (sitting at the desk).

This is the actual panel at the club I just took and cropped the picture to get the board then shrank and strecthed it ti fit the scaled panel in front of Big Fred.

Next I made the platform that the tower sits on you will notice that the front set of legs are closer together than the back set this is because if you look back at the spot where it is going the tracks come closer at one side.

I tried painting the walls to look like there stucco I think I got close.

I added som diamond plating to the deck.

And then the railing around the deck and on the stairs, however I didn't have enough and the LHS had to order more.

The only problem I have with this building is the glue I got on the windows, because of the way I built this building the windows are part of the structure if the building and as hard as I tried I still got some on the windows.

The roof on this will be tar and rock and will have and Heat/AC unit and both firecracker and sinclair antennas ans well as a pole type.

More to come when the parts get here.

Mike J

Edited by - Dreamweaver on 04/23/2006 01:44:11 AM

Rick
Administrator

Premium Member

Posted - 04/23/2006 :  07:10:54 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Nice work Mike.

LVRALPH
Fireman

Posted - 04/23/2006 :  07:12:59 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Mike, verrrrry niiiiiiice!!!!!!!!!!!!

mikethetrainman
Fireman

Posted - 04/23/2006 :  10:22:02 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Mike great job. One of the best things about model railroading is scratch building right off the top of the head. Very nice job.

Mike Mace
Northern Division of the Santa Fe

Cigarguy
Fireman

Posted - 04/24/2006 :  07:19:23 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Looking good, Mike!

Mike
D&B Lumber Co.
"The Best Wood You Ever Saw!"

George D

Premium Member

Posted - 04/24/2006 :  08:31:53 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Nice job on the tower Mike. The nice thing about scratch building is that you build it to fit the space.

George

Dreamweaver
Crew Chief

Posted - 06/04/2006 :  06:22:09 AM  Show Profile  Send Dreamweaver a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
Hi All,

The Yardmasters view.

Mike J

Mike Hamer
Engineer

Posted - 06/21/2006 :  9:16:19 PM  Show Profile  Visit Mike Hamer's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Hi Mike. You've done some very impressive work here! You know...I think that it may be more difficult to scratchbuild a modern structure than something old and made from wood. The wooden structures may have more detail, but the modern ones seem to have smaller and more "finicky" parts. Just a "hunch" on my part. Great work, as always!

Mike Hamer
Ottawa, Ontario, Canada
http://www.bostonandmaine.blogspot.ca
http://www.craftsmanstructures.blogspot.ca
http://modelrailroadsivisit.blogspot.ca

Gn15Gnutt
Section Hand

Posted - 06/29/2006 :  5:09:16 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Here's a wreck I built awhile back, the flatbed it sits on isn't scratchbuilt:
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v244/Gn15/RustVita4.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v244/Gn15/RustVita3.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v244/Gn15/RustVita2.jpg
The photos are a tad out of focus.
GerryB

Chuck Doan
Fireman

Posted - 06/29/2006 :  5:27:44 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
That looks good Gerry.
Is Gn15 based around 1/24th scale or 1.22? or...?
Thanks.
CD

Dave D
Fireman

Posted - 06/30/2006 :  10:48:42 PM  Show Profile  Click to see Dave D's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Great work fellas!!!

Here is a steam donkey I have been working on.

Edited by - Dave D on 06/30/2006 10:49:33 PM

Page: of 64 Previous Topic: Zenith Radio Topic Next Topic: Something different on my bench..  
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Previous Page | Next Page
Jump To:
Railroad Line Forums © 2000-2020 Railroad Line Co. Go To Top Of Page
Steam was generated in 0.48 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000