Railroad Line Forums - Photo Gallery of things you have scratch built
Railroad Line Forums
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register
Forgot Password?
  Home   Forums   Events Calendar   Sponsors   Support the RRLine   Guestbook   FAQ     Register
Active Topics | Active Polls | Resources | Members | Online Users | Live Chat | Avatar Legend | Search | Statistics
Photo Album | File Lister | File Library
[ Active Members: 3 | Anonymous Members: 0 | Guests: 170 ]  [ Total: 173 ]  [ Newest Member: Alex Italy ]
 All Forums
 Model Railroad Forums
 Startin' from Scratch
 Photo Gallery of things you have scratch built
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Author Previous Topic: On building MoW cars Topic Next Topic: Railroad Street Buildings
Page: of 67

MikeC
Administrator

Premium Member

Posted - 01/19/2006 :  8:44:45 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Wallace

... Bonebrake Manufracturing Co....

An excellent pun, Wallace! And a pretty darned nice model also!

essodee
Fireman

Posted - 02/02/2006 :  10:35:15 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by railphotog

Here's a Tracklaying Machine I made using the bonus brass etching pieces and instructions in Sheepscot Scale Models' pile driver kit. Parts were mostly gussets, connecting lugs, reinforcing for the overhead boom, ladder, etc. Most of the rest of it is Plastruct shapes and thingies. The power plant came from a toy model tractor.

Wow Railphotog, that's an incredible model. Is there really a prototype for that thing? Since the whole beam seems to be supported by tension in the cables, I think Buckminster Fuller would recognize that engineering as a 'Tensegrity' structure. Your model would be worth a closer look at the details.

Stevie O'

railphotog
Fireman

Posted - 02/03/2006 :  06:25:57 AM  Show Profile  Visit railphotog's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I don't know if there is a prototype of this actual model, you'd have to ask Sheepscot Scale Models. But I have seen quite a few photos of prototype track laying machines. Many are quite a bit more elaborate, with a coveyor type system on one side that would bring ties to the head of the car from a gondola farther back. Some of the cars have a real home made look, as if they were designed on the spot. I saw another car of this type at my first NMRA National convention in Boston way back in 1986 and think it was more complicated. I remember it because I was wondering how it was transported to the show.

Dutchman
Administrator

Premium Member

Posted - 02/03/2006 :  08:02:12 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Stevie & Bob,
Here is one prototype photo that I recently found.
http://content.lib.washington.edu/clarkkinsey/image/1229.jpg

Bruce

railphotog
Fireman

Posted - 02/03/2006 :  08:26:11 AM  Show Profile  Visit railphotog's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Thanks for the photo link! It's the first track layer that I've seen that looks somewhat like my model!

essodee
Fireman

Posted - 02/03/2006 :  11:11:50 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Bruce,

Thanks for that photo. There is so much more information in that photo besides the track machine. The workers, the rugged environment, and the timberwork all tell a narative that is modestly heroic.

Bob, you did quite a good model of that without having seen a prototype up close. Something like that would save a lot of heavy lifting for the crew, not to mention bad backs.

Stevie O'

MP Rich
Fireman

Posted - 02/03/2006 :  11:20:44 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Really good to see that proto photo. It's amazing that some of these things work. My first thought would have been, "No Way". Having seen some other things that I didn't believe I have learned to reserve judgement for a while. Great looking model but you may want to keep that photo handy just to win a few bets.

Ken Hamilton
Crew Chief

Posted - 02/08/2006 :  12:59:00 PM  Show Profile  Visit Ken Hamilton's Homepage  Reply with Quote

This looks like a "Cylde Iron Works" track laying machine which the
optional front boom extension that I used as the basis for my On3 machine.
I'll share some pix when I get a chance to shoot some.
Great job, Railfotog. What scale?? It looks bigger than HO in the photo
Ken Hamilton

Ken Hamilton
www.wildharemodels.com
http://public.fotki.com/khamilton/models/

railphotog
Fireman

Posted - 02/08/2006 :  1:46:30 PM  Show Profile  Visit railphotog's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Ken Hamilton

[
Great job, Railfotog. What scale?? It looks bigger than HO in the photo
Ken Hamilton

It is Half O scale - HO. The model's length is exaggerated by the use of a wide angle lens to take the photo.

It's unwieldy enough in HO scale, I imagine one in O scale would be a bear to move around!

Ken Hamilton
Crew Chief

Posted - 02/08/2006 :  1:58:40 PM  Show Profile  Visit Ken Hamilton's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Hey, Bob:
I didn't realize you were in fact "Railphotog"...that's
what happens when you get old and don't read everything
on a post.
No wonder that track laying machine looks so good!
KH

Ken Hamilton
www.wildharemodels.com

Ken Hamilton
Crew Chief

Posted - 02/10/2006 :  07:30:43 AM  Show Profile  Visit Ken Hamilton's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Seeing Bob's wonderful track laying machine inspired me to dig my old one out of mothballs and take some photos.
This is the one that was in Boston in '86, Bob. It was actually surprising easy to carry.
I built a foam-lined wooden box that held everything nice and tight. When it was secured in the box I could swing it around pretty good.
It made several trips on its side in a few overhead baggage compartments on airplanes with no problems.

I'll be uploading a bunch of other pictures of the tracklayer this weekend, including some underbody shots. Here's the link:

http://public.fotki.com/khamilton/models/on3_track_laying_machine/

Thanks for looking.
Ken

Ken Hamilton
www.wildharemodels.com

Edited by - Ken Hamilton on 02/10/2006 07:32:19 AM

Tileguy
Engine Wiper

Posted - 02/18/2006 :  9:14:41 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Very Nice track Layer Models Guys,they would probobly have gone right past this lil backwoods Coaling platform

Tileguy
Engine Wiper

Posted - 02/18/2006 :  9:16:19 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
one more

Tabooma County Rwy
Fireman

Posted - 02/18/2006 :  9:26:49 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Great little backwoods station, Todd. Question: how did you make the foundation? More pics, please!

Tileguy
Engine Wiper

Posted - 02/19/2006 :  06:20:01 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi Al, Thanks for the nice comment!
As to the foundation, Awhile while back Mike Lynch made molds of an FSM master. He sent me a few masters in hydrocal. I then made my own molds with Woodland scenics Mold maker.
More and larger pictures can be seen here:
http://www.freerails.com/view_topic.php?id=203&forum_id=6

Dial up folks be aware that some of these will take some time to download. I am on dial up and they take about 80-90 seconds for the entire page.

Page: of 67 Previous Topic: On building MoW cars Topic Next Topic: Railroad Street Buildings  
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Previous Page | Next Page
Jump To:
Railroad Line Forums © 2000-2020 Railroad Line Co. Go To Top Of Page
Steam was generated in 1.39 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000