Railroad Line Forums - Photo Gallery of things you have scratch built
Railroad Line Forums
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register
Forgot Password?
  Home   Forums   Events Calendar   Sponsors   Support the RRLine   Guestbook   FAQ     Register
Active Topics | Active Polls | Resources | Members | Online Users | Live Chat | Avatar Legend | Search | Statistics
Photo Album | File Lister | File Library
[ Active Members: 3 | Anonymous Members: 0 | Guests: 166 ]  [ Total: 169 ]  [ Newest Member: Alex Italy ]
 All Forums
 Model Railroad Forums
 Startin' from Scratch
 Photo Gallery of things you have scratch built
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Author Previous Topic: On building MoW cars Topic Next Topic: Railroad Street Buildings
Page: of 67

nospaceorecashrr
New Hire

Posted - 01/02/2006 :  7:02:30 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Vance, Thanks for the photos and info on the power lines, looks better than thread. I'll sure try some.

Bob, Pres. NORR

towncar59
Engine Wiper

Posted - 01/13/2006 :  11:42:43 AM  Show Profile  Visit towncar59's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Not 100% scratchbuilt, but...let's say 50%
She's not finished yet, but I'm getting there...

Ron

George D

Premium Member

Posted - 01/13/2006 :  11:49:28 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
That's a nice looking locomotive Ron. What scale is it and what's scratchbuilt and what's commercial?

George

towncar59
Engine Wiper

Posted - 01/15/2006 :  08:02:03 AM  Show Profile  Visit towncar59's Homepage  Reply with Quote
It's a Bachmann On30 Climax, I removed the cab and coal/water bunker and the head- and backlights. Currently I am making the wooden parts as shown in the picture, I still have to add more details ( wood, brass ) and fit the lamps in a new position. I also replaced the smoke stack. Still a lot to do.....

Ron

railphotog
Fireman

Posted - 01/15/2006 :  09:50:30 AM  Show Profile  Visit railphotog's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Here's a Tracklaying Machine I made using the bonus brass etching pieces and instructions in Sheepscot Scale Models' pile driver kit. Parts were mostly gussets, connecting lugs, reinforcing for the overhead boom, ladder, etc. Most of the rest of it is Plastruct shapes and thingies. The power plant came from a toy model tractor.

rrkreitler
Crew Chief

Premium Member

Posted - 01/15/2006 :  11:30:53 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Ron,

Cool idea. Hopefully we'll get to see more photos of the finished product....

Bob, that's fine looking model. Is the boom (with all the lattice work) all Plastruct?

Thanks,
Dave K in NB

Peterpools
Engineer

Posted - 01/15/2006 :  12:36:38 PM  Show Profile  Visit Peterpools's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Bob
Wonderful track laying car. Terrific job!

Tabooma County Rwy
Fireman

Posted - 01/15/2006 :  1:30:32 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Very interesting car, Bob...have you actually operated it on your modular setup? It looks top heavy, but I guess it wouldn't be if it is mainly Plastruct. Nice job!

railphotog
Fireman

Posted - 01/15/2006 :  1:51:19 PM  Show Profile  Visit railphotog's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by rrkreitler

Bob, that's fine looking model. Is the boom (with all the lattice work) all Plastruct?

The latticework is etched brass, the rest of the boom is all Plastruct shapes and brass wire supports. It's the wire that hold everything up.

It's fairly fragile, I wouldn't even consider trying to operate in on our club's modular layout. It wouldn't fit under the bridges and tunnels we have anyway! Just a exercise in modeling.

towncar59
Engine Wiper

Posted - 01/15/2006 :  3:51:18 PM  Show Profile  Visit towncar59's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by rrkreitler

Ron,

Cool idea. Hopefully we'll get to see more photos of the finished product....

Sure, I'll post some more pics when the Climax is finished.

Bob, beautiful model ! H-O scale ?

Ron

Edited by - towncar59 on 01/15/2006 3:53:48 PM

Section Hand

Posted - 01/16/2006 :  2:56:48 PM  Show Profile  Visit 6100's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Very interesting model Bob, a great way to use up spare parts.

Michael

If you can dream it you can make it
http://members.shaw.ca/emm48

railphotog
Fireman

Posted - 01/16/2006 :  3:06:34 PM  Show Profile  Visit railphotog's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by 6100

Very interesting model Bob, a great way to use up spare parts.

They weren't actually spare parts - they came on the etched brass fret for the HO pile driver. I think George was just using up the available space on the fret because he could. There were full sized plans and info on how to make the tracklayer. It's probably not something that I would bother with it, but the parts were there so I did it!

George D

Premium Member

Posted - 01/16/2006 :  3:16:14 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
That's an excellent model Bob. It certainly does look fragile.

George

Section Hand

Posted - 01/17/2006 :  12:42:31 AM  Show Profile  Visit 6100's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I stand Corrected!

Michael

If you can dream it you can make it
http://members.shaw.ca/emm48

Wallace
Engine Wiper

Posted - 01/19/2006 :  8:15:35 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
This picture shows the Bonebrake Manufracturing Co. at Tonopah on the Goldfield & Hangtown RR. Everything in the picture was scratch-built, except for the trucks, couplers, and figures.

Page: of 67 Previous Topic: On building MoW cars Topic Next Topic: Railroad Street Buildings  
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Previous Page | Next Page
Jump To:
Railroad Line Forums © 2000-2020 Railroad Line Co. Go To Top Of Page
Steam was generated in 0.62 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000