Railroad Line Forums - Photo Gallery of things you have scratch built
Railroad Line Forums
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register
Forgot Password?
  Home   Forums   Events Calendar   Sponsors   Support the RRLine   Guestbook   FAQ     Register
Active Topics | Active Polls | Resources | Members | Online Users | Live Chat | Avatar Legend | Search | Statistics
Photo Album | File Lister | File Library
[ Active Members: 4 | Anonymous Members: 0 | Guests: 80 ]  [ Total: 84 ]  [ Newest Member: tx28 ]
 All Forums
 Model Railroad Forums
 Startin' from Scratch
 Photo Gallery of things you have scratch built
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Author Previous Topic: Hamlin Wizard Oil Topic Next Topic: Ferris Wheel Restart
Page: of 63

Ken Hamilton
Crew Chief

Posted - 12/27/2005 :  12:28:47 PM  Show Profile  Visit Ken Hamilton's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Having never really documented any of my old RR models, I've just recently
started opening boxes that haven't been touched in over 20 years.
Here's an HO M-W Bunk Car that I built around 1978 (give or take a year).
It's really been fun pulling out stuff I haven't seen for so long. Hope you'll enoy it, too:

Thanks for looking.
Ken Hamilton

Ken Hamilton
www.wildharemodels.com
http://public.fotki.com/khamilton/models/

dougcoffey1950
Fireman

Posted - 12/27/2005 :  3:27:24 PM  Show Profile  Visit dougcoffey1950's Homepage  Send dougcoffey1950 a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
Very nice Ken. I like the old wooden cars. Anybody remember Scotia Scale models?
Doug C.

http://www.dougcoffey.com/html/model_railroad.html

George D

Premium Member

Posted - 12/27/2005 :  3:37:15 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Ken,

Very nicely detailed interior, and when you realize it's HO, it' even more impressive. Being 1978 vintage, did you have to scratch build all the interior details?

George

Sully
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 12/27/2005 :  4:47:40 PM  Show Profile  Visit Sully's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Doug, I remember Scotia...Nice kits, Canadian prototypes mostly? I remember building a transfer caboose ( I think)...a little shack on a flat....I remember I really enjoyed building it....tom

Rick
Administrator

Premium Member

Posted - 12/27/2005 :  5:56:36 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Ken, very nice construction and interior detailing. Please post pictures of more models as you pull them out of the boxes.

dougcoffey1950
Fireman

Posted - 12/27/2005 :  7:11:13 PM  Show Profile  Visit dougcoffey1950's Homepage  Send dougcoffey1950 a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
Tom,
My first ever kit was a Scotia Scale model like the one you built. I think it was called a boom car or crane tender.
When I opened the box and saw all those sticks I was overwhelmed. How do you put that together?
I went back to the hobby shop and they "suggested" airplane glue. Man, I had gobs of that stringy stuff everywhere. What a freakin' mess.
I built 3 more of their kits after that. I didn't improve much. Gave up on bending the trussrods and installing brass turnbuckles. Painted right over the grapes of airplane glue with the wrong color Testors paint.
Any sane man would have thrown in the towel right then and there, but I persevered and became a model railroader. Needless to say, the frieght cars didn't fare as well.
The best part of Scotia Scale was their plans. I still have them and have built many wooden cars based on their drawings. All the parts are available from Grandt Line and I long since graduated to fishing line for trussrods and a real milling machine with digital readout for drilling all those holes for grab irons and stake pockets.
Thanks for bringing back a fond memory.
Doug C.

http://www.dougcoffey.com/html/model_railroad.html

JBL
Engine Wiper

Premium Member

Posted - 12/28/2005 :  02:57:07 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Ken, this is amazing! I would have never thought that this could be HO. The workbench is tiny, the drawers must be really tiny.....and there are things in them.... wow.

Greetings,
Jens

Ken Hamilton
Crew Chief

Posted - 12/28/2005 :  12:18:08 PM  Show Profile  Visit Ken Hamilton's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by George D

Ken,

Very nicely detailed interior, and when you realize it's HO, it' even more impressive. Being 1978 vintage, did you have to scratch build all the interior details?

George

Thanks. Some of the tools are old SSLtd items; most of the other stuff is watch parts, bits of scrap, etc.

Ken Hamilton
www.wildharemodels.com
http://public.fotki.com/khamilton/models/

TrainsHO
Engine Wiper

Posted - 01/01/2006 :  11:35:51 PM  Show Profile  Visit TrainsHO's Homepage  Reply with Quote
OK Gang Here is my lastest project completed. It is a scratch build of Wilikers with some modifications. We no longer have the barrel ramp. We have a new building for boat repair with docks and steps that go next door to machine shop and marine parts. He hasn't given me the name for the places so there is no signs up. Also the ramp for getting the boats into the building will be built by the customer to fit his layout height and water. No buildings are glue down, so it all comes apart in individual pieces. He gets all the buildings and docks. The base is not included, it was just for presentation. So it's not perfect in this setting. There are 12 photo's of it at
http://trainsho.com/v-web/gallery/john

Vance
www.fsmtrees.com
www.trainsho.com

davidellinger77
Engine Wiper

Posted - 01/02/2006 :  08:42:48 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I had also scratch built G. Williker's with no place to put it. Waterfront is a great idea. Wish I had the imagination of some of you guys. Thanks for the inspiration (also thanks so much for your Brambell pix)

Bbags
Administrator

Premium Member

Posted - 01/02/2006 :  10:11:48 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Vance,
As a lover of waterfronts and railroads I really like this diorama.
A quick question, Whose boat models do I see in the different pictures?

John Bagley
Modeling the Alaska Railroad in HO in Wildwood Georgia.

Rick
Administrator

Premium Member

Posted - 01/02/2006 :  10:47:55 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Very nice work. I'm just a little nervous about that track that stops at the edge of the water.

George D

Premium Member

Posted - 01/02/2006 :  11:16:24 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
That's a very nice set of buildings. What did you use for the power lines?

George

TrainsHO
Engine Wiper

Posted - 01/02/2006 :  11:33:49 AM  Show Profile  Visit TrainsHO's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Hey Rick, It was for presentation only. The idea was to have a stone retaining wall of some type there and piers for the train track. I was in a hurry and left the rest off. Or as it is put in his layout he can have the ground continue to the end and curve the water away from the track. He just gets the buildings and docks, not my base.

Hello John, The boats look fair in a picture. But thats about as far as it goes. I had bought them on ebay due to the look. When I got them, They are junk, To make them look OK up close you could salvage the solid wood hull and redo everything else. They are a novelty item sold in fl. under the name of Beachcombers Int'l Inc.
They are about $10.00. here is one on ebay now.
http://cgi.ebay.com/HAND-CRAFTED-SHRIMP-BOAT-MODEL-DETAILED_W0QQitemZ6025781094QQcategoryZ4248QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem
I had bought 2 of them and the descriptions said HO scale. One of them is half the size of the other. Longest one is 8-1/2 inches.
The hull is the best part, the rest of it is terrible

Vance
www.fsmtrees.com
www.trainsho.com

TrainsHO
Engine Wiper

Posted - 01/02/2006 :  11:45:34 AM  Show Profile  Visit TrainsHO's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Hello George

It's called EZ-Line. It like rubber bans. It's Elastic Polymer and has 700% stretch ability. When hit or bumped it will stretch and then go back to it's original state. I have caught it and pulled hard enough to break the cross brace off the poles. It comes in different colors and sizes. I get mine from Kanawha Creek Rail supply. Here are the items http://storesonline.com/site/519086/page/155741

Vance
www.fsmtrees.com
www.trainsho.com

Page: of 63 Previous Topic: Hamlin Wizard Oil Topic Next Topic: Ferris Wheel Restart  
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Previous Page | Next Page
Jump To:
Railroad Line Forums © 2000-19 Railroad Line Co. Go To Top Of Page
Steam was generated in 0.48 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000