Railroad Line Forums - Photo Gallery of things you have scratch built
Railroad Line Forums
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register
Forgot Password?
  Home   Forums   Events Calendar   Sponsors   Support the RRLine   Guestbook   FAQ     Register
Active Topics | Active Polls | Resources | Members | Online Users | Live Chat | Avatar Legend | Search | Statistics
Photo Album | File Lister | File Library
[ Active Members: 5 | Anonymous Members: 0 | Guests: 155 ]  [ Total: 160 ]  [ Newest Member: Alex Italy ]
 All Forums
 Model Railroad Forums
 Startin' from Scratch
 Photo Gallery of things you have scratch built
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Author Previous Topic: On building MoW cars Topic Next Topic: Railroad Street Buildings
Page: of 67

LVRALPH
Fireman

Posted - 10/12/2005 :  12:28:59 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Chris I am sending this to my pennsy buddies. This looks familiar. Was it in the Keystone Modeler?

Edited by - LVRALPH on 10/31/2005 06:45:49 AM

mikethetrainman
Fireman

Posted - 10/12/2005 :  10:14:45 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Chris great job on the engine service trestle. Nice job on the weathering.

Dave very nice trestle. I have all ways liked tall wooden trestles.

Mike Mace
Northern Division of the Santa Fe

extra94
New Hire

Posted - 10/12/2005 :  11:39:46 PM  Show Profile  Visit extra94's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Thanks for the kind words, guys, But I'm impresses by that hot shot woodworker. Is that balsa cribbing or bass? Nicely distressed and detailed, especially those 1/4"scale carpenter ants in photo 3.

Note to Pat: the tan section represents the concrete coal pockets between the trusses that were filled from above by the hoppers.

Note to george: Most of the locos were Broadway Ltd with NCE decoders. I'm a scenery guy, I can't take credit for the motive power and rolling stock.

Note to Joe: Ths 24x36 layout represents about 15 miles of Pennsy mainline from Mifflintown to Granville. The client wanted prototype locations in a continuous loop. Aside from several visits to the locations, all the info was gleaned from a soft cover book "Lewistown and the PRR" published by the Pennsy Hysterical Society.

Note to LVRalph: As far as I know the layout hasn't been published, but the elderly owner is looking to donate it to a museum in Lewistown, to be maintained by a local club.

Dave D
Fireman

Posted - 10/13/2005 :  06:11:51 AM  Show Profile  Click to see Dave D's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Thanks everyone!
Chris...that coal warf is a real treat!
Thanks for noticing the "carpenter ant" bits. ( worked hard on those.) A touch of Arthritis
in the knuckles can make them a chore at times. Thank God for Advil!
They are made out of Popple dowel I picked up at Menards.

Joe...Gosh....I could only guess-ta-mate on the time for the trestle. All told somewhere around 30 hours? The wood is Oak. I cut all of it myself. The longest bent pieces were cut from an old 3" x 8" piece I scarfed up from a neighbor who bought a huge pile of old rough cut lumber at a farm auction.
The shorter ones and the bracing were cut from a hunk of Oak firewood I grabbed off the pile and ran threw my little portable 13" surface planer.
The bolt details are track nails that I snipped the heads off of. I left about 3/16" of the shank under the heads, then pre-drilled each hole and placed a dab of glue on them before inserting them.

Edited by - Dave D on 10/13/2005 06:18:56 AM

MikeC
Administrator

Premium Member

Posted - 10/13/2005 :  10:15:06 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Dave, the ends of the crib logs are beautifully done! Any tips on how you did them?

Tombanjo
Engine Wiper

Posted - 10/13/2005 :  10:31:37 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I love this group...where else can you go from class 1 mainline facility to rotting pile trestle in one thread. Excellent modeling guys

Dave

Dave D
Fireman

Posted - 10/18/2005 :  1:45:14 PM  Show Profile  Click to see Dave D's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Finished the Crib bridge....

and tossed together a tall pine.

Rick
Administrator

Premium Member

Posted - 10/18/2005 :  3:08:22 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Dave, you've been busy. It all looks great.

lab-dad
Fireman

Posted - 10/18/2005 :  4:07:18 PM  Show Profile  Visit lab-dad's Homepage  Send lab-dad a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
<snip> Dave, the ends of the crib logs are beautifully done! Any tips on how you did them? >

C'mon Dave let us in on it!

Mj

George D

Premium Member

Posted - 10/18/2005 :  5:25:50 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Dave, the crib bridge looks terrific and the trestle is pretty impressive too. I'm with Marty, share your secret on the log ends please.

George

acousticco
Fireman

Posted - 10/18/2005 :  8:17:51 PM  Show Profile  Visit acousticco's Homepage  Reply with Quote
The crib bridge looks wonderful!
If you want to put some grain on the ends of the cut logs, you can use the cigarette lighter from your car. I read about it in an article by Lane Stewart, and have used it with pretty good results for larger timbers.

-Cody

Dave D
Fireman

Posted - 10/19/2005 :  05:36:00 AM  Show Profile  Click to see Dave D's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
quote:
If you want to put some grain on the ends of the cut logs, you can use the cigarette lighter from your car.

OMG! Why didn't I think of that...great tip.

Thanks for all of the positive feedback.
I'll see what I can do for the log end info.
It's really pretty easy.

Stephen Wilder
New Hire

Posted - 10/26/2005 :  12:54:56 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Here are some pictures of a DODX heavy duty flatcar I scratchbuilt a few years ago.

I used Plastruct for most of the construction, with some chain, brass rod, and a Detail Associates brake lever for details. The tanks are by Roco. Unfortunately, no one makes accurate trucks for this car, so I used Athearn Buckeyes, although the friction bearings are a bit out of place.

mikethetrainman
Fireman

Posted - 10/31/2005 :  12:07:11 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Stephen very nice job on the scratch build.

Mike Mace
Northern Division of the Santa Fe

Dave D
Fireman

Posted - 10/31/2005 :  07:47:41 AM  Show Profile  Click to see Dave D's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Very nice Steven...that's a heavy duty load!

Here is a Class A Climax I have been working on for the last week or so.

Page: of 67 Previous Topic: On building MoW cars Topic Next Topic: Railroad Street Buildings  
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Previous Page | Next Page
Jump To:
Railroad Line Forums © 2000-2020 Railroad Line Co. Go To Top Of Page
Steam was generated in 0.62 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000