Railroad Line Forums - Photo Gallery of things you have scratch built
Railroad Line Forums
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register
Forgot Password?
  Home   Forums   Events Calendar   Sponsors   Support the RRLine   Guestbook   FAQ     Register
Active Topics | Active Polls | Resources | Members | Online Users | Live Chat | Avatar Legend | Search | Statistics
Photo Album | File Lister | File Library
[ Active Members: 3 | Anonymous Members: 0 | Guests: 65 ]  [ Total: 68 ]  [ Newest Member: tx28 ]
 All Forums
 Model Railroad Forums
 Startin' from Scratch
 Photo Gallery of things you have scratch built
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Author Previous Topic: Hamlin Wizard Oil Topic Next Topic: Ferris Wheel Restart
Page: of 63

Tabooma County Rwy
Fireman

Posted - 08/22/2005 :  11:08:23 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Joe, yours looks great too! Nicely weathered - looks like a bait shop! You've even added rafter tails! WOW! You must use an Optivisor or some kind of magnifier, huh? Tell us about the roof - is it ribbed roofing?

jatravia
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 08/23/2005 :  08:55:02 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hey Al,

thanks for the kind words. I definitly use an optivisor and rafter tails ... tweezers come in handy too. I'm going to try to get a better photo in daylight after work today to show you the roof. It is corregated - I used the adhesive backed foil tape that is used for duct work. I corregated it using a piece of corregated styrene as a form. Though the stuff is adhesive backed I still used CA to bond it to styrene sub roof.

I think I need to take photos as I am modeling because I realize that it helps me see the flaws better.

Joe <><

Bbags
Administrator

Premium Member

Posted - 08/23/2005 :  09:22:10 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Dave and Joe,
Very nice work no matter what the scale.
I love to see these scratch built structures since they are a one of a kind and will not be found anywhere else except on Railroad-Line.

John Bagley
Modeling the Alaska Railroad in HO in Wildwood Georgia.

rrkreitler
Crew Chief

Premium Member

Posted - 08/23/2005 :  11:32:04 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks for the kind words everyone!

Nice work in your bait shop Joe. It's a great looking structure especially when you consider that it is about an inch wide...and I can appreciate that

The rafter tails are a great touch and they add so much.

Thanks,
Dave K in NB

mikethetrainman
Fireman

Posted - 08/23/2005 :  11:43:09 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Joe very nice work on the bait shop. One of the best tools I have is my digital camera. I find all kinds of things that need fixing with it.

Mike Mace
Northern Division of the Santa Fe

jatravia
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 08/23/2005 :  9:36:18 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
These pictures have slightly better lighting and show the roof a little better ...

Joe <><

rrkreitler
Crew Chief

Premium Member

Posted - 08/26/2005 :  12:49:17 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Was flipping through some photos and came across this little project that I thought would be interesting to share.

Since many folks here are interested in the little extra details that add interest to a scene and we talk a lot about castings...what about actually building details...?

Background: My father restored old farm machinery as a hobby after he retired. I grew up with an odd collection of old rusted farm tractors in my driveway that were in various states of restoration. This model is based on the kind of thing we used to bring home (many of them in much worse condition than this).

This was a simple one evening project made from scraps in my parts bin. The front wheels were from an Micron Arts buckboard kit, the rear wheels are made from the wheels of an old luggage cart shoved inside some styrene tubing. The fenders are tin foil. The flywheel is an N scale brake wheel. The rest are scraps of styrene and brass.

This is located on the same diorama as the stone shed I posted pictures of earlier. As you drive around farm country you see lots of old rusted tractors sitting out in fields and behind barns. I encourage folks to try scratch projects likes this - especially for old rusted out details that are meant to enhance a scene. Folks look for vehicle kits and then balk at the price - especially if they are just meant to be a detail and not the main subject of the scene. Total cost of this model is next to nothing since it was all scraps.

This is modeled after a Titan 10-24 (great grandad of International Harvester)

Here is a photo from the Internet of a similar type of tractor after being restored to operating condition.

The model is N scale. I don't have a reference photo to indicate actual size. The model is actually just over a half inch long.

The fun thing about ths type of project if that it does not need to be 100% accurate because it is so small and not the main subject of the scene. It adds a bit of context to the scene. It is fast, easy, unusual, and adds a lot of interest to a scene. I encourage you to give it a try. It will surprise you how rewarding and easy a small scratch project like can be - it will also be something you are not likely to see on anyone else's model...

Thanks,
Dave K in NB

Edited by - rrkreitler on 08/26/2005 12:52:00 PM

jatravia
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 08/26/2005 :  1:31:56 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I love it Dave. Very cool.

Joe <><

Ken Hamilton
Crew Chief

Posted - 08/26/2005 :  1:35:38 PM  Show Profile  Visit Ken Hamilton's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Here's an oldie I pulled out of the archives recently. Not 100% scratchbuilt - the bike started life as an old 1/24th scale Revell "Parts Pack" kit. Someone pointed out that the outrigger needed a little more support, which in looking at it is a good call.
Enjoy,
Ken Hamilton

Ken Hamilton
www.wildharemodels.com
http://public.fotki.com/khamilton/models/

rrkreitler
Crew Chief

Premium Member

Posted - 08/27/2005 :  12:03:40 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Ken,

Love it! What a cool and unusual project. Thanks for posting the pics. This is the kind of stuff that adds a lot of interest to a scene.

Thanks,
Dave K in NB

TrainsHO
Engine Wiper

Posted - 09/01/2005 :  02:17:17 AM  Show Profile  Visit TrainsHO's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Here is my latest one just finished for this week. It is built as a kit and going to New Zealand. It is a modified scratch build version of the stuffy's main building. The names are Vilmore's Boarding House and Bleachers Seafood.

Vance
www.fsmtrees.com
www.trainsho.com

rrkreitler
Crew Chief

Premium Member

Posted - 09/01/2005 :  10:53:06 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
A boarding house over a seafood restaurant...interesting combination. I imagine those boarders will be going through some air freshener

Nice work vance. Are those windows and doors Grandt Line?

Thanks,
Dave K in NB

TrainsHO
Engine Wiper

Posted - 09/01/2005 :  12:23:07 PM  Show Profile  Visit TrainsHO's Homepage  Reply with Quote
The windows and doors are Tichy. The front entrance is a Smalltown USA 20 ft. store front that I cut down. If you look at the photo gallery for my customer (Bruce) I built him 2 buildings. This one fits with the other and are joined with a overhead walkway.
http://trainsho.com/v-web/gallery/bruce

Vance
www.fsmtrees.com
www.trainsho.com

TrainsHO
Engine Wiper

Posted - 09/01/2005 :  12:27:03 PM  Show Profile  Visit TrainsHO's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Also if you notice the other building that joins with this one is a version of the center building of Skinners Row.

Vance
www.fsmtrees.com
www.trainsho.com

Coaltrain
Fireman

Posted - 09/07/2005 :  6:29:21 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I'm new here but I figure this is a good place to make my first post.

made from wood, styrene, and metal siding material. Everything except the window castings are scratchbuilt.

Still a tad bit of work to do as you can see from the shiny piece of tin over the loading conveyor.

scratchbuilt coke ovens behind coal tipple. I made a master and cast wall sections from RTV molds. Five castings make up one side.

finish loader

In the process of being built. The conveyor is scratchbuilt from styrene.

Page: of 63 Previous Topic: Hamlin Wizard Oil Topic Next Topic: Ferris Wheel Restart  
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Previous Page | Next Page
Jump To:
Railroad Line Forums © 2000-19 Railroad Line Co. Go To Top Of Page
Steam was generated in 0.61 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000