Railroad Line Forums - New Members: Please Introduce Yourselves
Railroad Line Forums
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register
Forgot Password?
  Home   Forums   Events Calendar   Sponsors   Support the RRLine   Guestbook   FAQ     Register
Active Topics | Active Polls | Resources | Members | Online Users | Live Chat | Avatar Legend | Search | Statistics
Photo Album | File Lister | File Library
[ Active Members: 5 | Anonymous Members: 0 | Guests: 74 ]  [ Total: 79 ]  [ Newest Member: jfields ]
 All Forums
 General Forums
 The Arrival Track
 New Members: Please Introduce Yourselves
Next Page
 New Topic |   Topic Locked | 
Author Previous Topic: Two New Members Topic Next Topic: Sunday Morning New Members!!
Page: of 100

MikeC
Administrator

Premium Member

Posted - 02/24/2005 :  10:30:54 AM  Show Profile
Our original thread of introductions grew to 24 pages. While it's fun reading, 24 pages is also a lot to go through. So we started a second thread for new member introductions, with the same questions John posed at the start of the first one.

It's really great getting to know one another. If you're a new member (or even an old one who never replied to the original thread), please take a few moments and introduce yourself to us here.

1) Where do you live?
2) How long have you been a model railroader, and how did you get started in the hobby?
3) Do you model a prototype railroad or freelance your layout?
4) Do you model a certain era and/or geographic region?
5) How large is your layout and what scale do you model?
6) What's your favorite part of the hobby? And what do you enjoy least?
7) How do you control your trains (DC, DCC, or something else)?
8) Tell us anything else about yourself you'd like us to know.
9) Post your picture - if you dare.

Oh, and if you're wondering how the rest of us answered the questions, here's a link to the original thread:
http://www.railroad-line.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=3534

Thanks!

OEandJP Rs
Section Hand

Posted - 02/24/2005 :  10:54:51 PM  Show Profile
1/2, Damien Gardner.

1, Springvale South/Melbourne, Victoria, Australia.

2, I have modelled most things over 42yrs, HO in the early '80's. then in March '04 with health failing, i sold my Race Car and all the gear. And embarked on a N-scale project with my lovely wife.

3, Freelance, with two sections, the first is a tourist railway with a Bay & Fun park on one end, and a Ski Field mountain resort on the other end. The only access to the Ski village is the Incline Railway.
The second section is still in planning and will be for several years.

4, Will be late Steam, early Diesel, with Rolling stock from my childhood memories.

5, The layout is a "U" 2-- 8' x 2'sections with a 5' x 2' section to join them.

6, Definately the Scratch building, ie; The incline RR, see my web site. Otherwise the overall modelling. i'm not fussed if i don't run trains for years, as long as i can keep modelling.

7, In view of my expectations of this hobby DCC would be a waste of money. I swapped 50 hand made trees with a mate for some DC controllers will be happy with them.

8, Not a lot to say both my wife & i are Disabled Pensioners, hench you'll see most off my work is created from recycled material or from natures product. Only bare minimum is purchased.

9, There is a pic on my web site, click on Bio. I lost the lot to a worm virus 6 weeks ago.

Thanks for excepting me. I see many faces from other forums.
Hi to everyone,
Cheers, Damien.

MikeC
Administrator

Premium Member

Posted - 02/24/2005 :  11:47:23 PM  Show Profile
Welcome to RR-L, Damien. Thanks for introducing yourself. It's good to have another scratchbuilder on board.

What is the URL for your website?

OEandJP Rs
Section Hand

Posted - 02/25/2005 :  03:51:27 AM  Show Profile
Thanks Mike,
My web page is accessable from the link at the top of my post,
But i've no probs putting it in print.
http://www.geocities.com/blownrenault/index.html

Cheers, Damien.

Bosco5
Crew Chief

Posted - 02/25/2005 :  06:25:45 AM  Show Profile  Visit Bosco5's Homepage
Damien
Welcome to the forum! I was very impressed by your incline rig - using the power drill to drive an Archemedian screw is a great idea. I can think of some other applications, such as powering a lift bridge, that would be much easier to install using a similar setup. The incline car looks just like the one that goes up and down Mt Washington in Pittsburgh, PA.

Rick
Administrator

Premium Member

Posted - 02/25/2005 :  06:30:36 AM  Show Profile
Damien, welcome aboard. I briefly checked into your web site. You have some creative ideas. I look forward to more of your posts.

Tyson Rayles

Premium Member

Posted - 02/25/2005 :  08:18:48 AM  Show Profile
Hi Damien and welcome!

Edited by - Tyson Rayles on 02/25/2005 3:20:31 PM

Mario Rapinett
Fireman

Posted - 02/25/2005 :  08:38:31 AM  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by OEandJP Rs

1/2, Damien Gardner.

1, Springvale South/Melbourne, Victoria, Australia.

Cheers, Damien.

Welcome .....

Geeze Damien..... I spent my baby years in Springvale ( early fifties, Rock'n'Roll days), then moved to Dandenong...

Ever thought of coming to one of our NMRA meetings.... pretty layback.... I reckon you'd know alotta guys, such as Laurie Green, John Hunter, Adrian Hoad & Co......

I'm the quite one.

Give us call ( email )

Mario ( Yarra Glen, Victoria )

George D

Premium Member

Posted - 02/25/2005 :  11:52:41 AM  Show Profile
Welcome Damien. I agree with Miles on the incline - very nice.

George

slimrails

Premium Member

Posted - 02/25/2005 :  12:03:49 PM  Show Profile  Visit slimrails's Homepage
Welcome aboard, Damien! Feel free to ask any questions you have...we all help each other here from the simple stuff to working on large projects. We all look forward to getting to know you better!

Edited by - slimrails on 02/25/2005 8:09:15 PM

Bbags
Administrator

Premium Member

Posted - 02/25/2005 :  1:05:14 PM  Show Profile
Damien,
I would also like to welcome you to the Forum.
This is a great place to exchange ideas with other people who share this great hobby.
I hope you enjoy you stay.

John Bagley
Modeling the Alaska Railroad in HO in Wildwood Georgia.

Dutchman
Administrator

Premium Member

Posted - 02/25/2005 :  1:21:37 PM  Show Profile
Damien,
I see that you bring experience in the area of animation with you. Great! I liked your method of lighting and animating your carousel. I take it that the Ferris Wheel revolves as well. Again, welcome to the fourm.

bpate
Fireman

Posted - 02/25/2005 :  2:31:08 PM  Show Profile
Welcome to the forum Damien,

Regards

Barry
Greensborough, Melbourne

OEandJP Rs
Section Hand

Posted - 02/28/2005 :  03:30:58 AM  Show Profile
Thanks for the welcome, working with a borrowed antique pooter at pres, A trip interstate at Easter, will see me bring home a you beaut rail burning pooter as a swap for my workshop of Mechanics tools.
Then hopefully i'll have a system to do justice to the Cable modem, and be able to open more than one window without slowing to a crawl.
I've been absent from the forums way too long.
At least i've been modelling, i've almost finished painting 160 itty bitty N scale LPBs, and did finish a HO, LJ Models Aussie Pub & 120+ hand made trees too cheer fatso up and contribute to his International Railways Theme.

Thanks again all.
Cheers, Damien.

MontanaRed
New Hire

Posted - 02/28/2005 :  6:40:05 PM  Show Profile  Visit MontanaRed's Homepage
Dave White here.... I have always been interested in Model Railroading. After 30 years in the military bouncing around the world, I now have a space for a REAL layout (although I did have a 5x15 foot layout in Guam in the early 70s). My layout is semi-freelance, semi-prototype. It is basically modeled after the D&RGW, and I have a decent replica of the Royal Gorge that is 7 feet deep and 8 feet long. My main interest is scenery, and I model mountains that begin at the floor and rise to 7 or 8 feet. I love to scratchbuild structures. This is primarily because I can't afford craftsman kits, and I enjoy making things myself. A few years ago I got a great deal on an entire dealer display of balsa, and I have built several nice scructures with this resource. I remind my wife that my railroad is my hobby, and not a project.... sometimes I work on it several hours a day, other times one hour a month. I am not the most experienced and may ask tons of questions, but I enjoy chatting with other modelers and hope to share some experiences.

Tyson Rayles

Premium Member

Posted - 02/28/2005 :  7:16:18 PM  Show Profile
Welcome Dave, pull up a chair and make yourself at home! When you get a chance please post some pics of your layout, we would love to see what you are up to!

Page: of 100 Previous Topic: Two New Members Topic Next Topic: Sunday Morning New Members!!  
 New Topic |   Topic Locked | 
Next Page
Jump To:
Railroad Line Forums © 2000-19 Railroad Line Co. Go To Top Of Page
Steam was generated in 0.8 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000