Railroad Line Forums - Welding Shop
Railroad Line Forums
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register
Forgot Password?
  Home   Forums   Events Calendar   Sponsors   Support the RRLine   Guestbook   FAQ     Register
Active Topics | Active Polls | Resources | Members | Online Users | Live Chat | Avatar Legend | Search | Statistics
Photo Album | File Lister | File Library
[ Active Members: 2 | Anonymous Members: 0 | Guests: 78 ]  [ Total: 80 ]  [ Newest Member: jfields ]
 All Forums
 Model Railroad Forums
 Startin' from Scratch
 Welding Shop
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Author Previous Topic: Clugstons Store Topic Next Topic: Lous Cowboy Hat _How-to
Page: of 12

belg
Fireman

Posted - 02/26/2005 :  10:38:47 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks Mike I would do a test on a scrap just in case. I used this stuff and it never got hard just a little harder than jello skin. After a month or so it finally dried enough to use. I maybe got a bad bottle or did not shake it enough? Pat

k9wrangler
Engineer

Posted - 02/26/2005 :  11:24:36 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Those doors look like you cropped them out of your photos and layed the prints on your work surface, very nice. Broken windowss do add great character to buildings.

Karl Scribner
Sunfield Twp. Michigan
H.M.F.I.C
Kentucky Southern Railway
The Spartan Line

George D

Premium Member

Posted - 02/26/2005 :  6:18:39 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Pat, I had an old window from my scrap box that I used for testing the Gallery Glass. I sprayed Dull Coat on it a couple of hours ago, and I don't see any damage, only dull windows.

Thanks Karl. Gluing in the doors will probably be my last step. By the way, I opened the right door to about 90.

I glued the interior walls and window frames in today. I printed a brick pattern on Bristol paper using a pattern I made on my computer. The floor isn't glued in yet. I'm waiting till I make the roof and I'm sure it fits right.

I guess my next step is the roof.

George

Dutchman
Administrator

Premium Member

Posted - 02/26/2005 :  6:30:13 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
George, it looks good. What thickness is the floor? Did you use styrene? What did you use for the window sills. Are they on the outside of the building, or do they go below the windows? BTW, nice idea with the bristol board. I will probably use some of Micro Mark's brick paper.

I haven't worked on this project yet today. I got sidetracked on Challenge 4.

George D

Premium Member

Posted - 02/26/2005 :  6:48:50 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Bruce,

Thanks for the compliment. I used 0.020" styrene. I wanted it to be thin because I didn't allow for the floor when I cut the walls - I should have added another layer of bricks to the bottom. The window sills are styrene strips that fit inside the wall. They are HO scale 4x8 - 4" high and 8" deep. The window frames sits on them.

The interior walls would be better if they were H&R too, but they'll be background, behind shelves and other interior clutter. Am I rationalizing?

George

wvrr
Fireman

Posted - 02/26/2005 :  8:14:04 PM  Show Profile  Visit wvrr's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Looks good, George. Great idea to print your own bricks. Keeps the wall thickness down!

I'm finding it a lot of fun to see how you two guys are approaching the same project, differently. Both are coming along great.

Chuck

George D

Premium Member

Posted - 02/26/2005 :  11:18:20 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks Chuck. I agree, I'm anxious to see how Bruce approaches each part of the project too.

George

belg
Fireman

Posted - 02/27/2005 :  06:21:44 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
George, what is bristol paper? I'm sure I have probably seen it but just didn't know thats what it was?
The garage is really looking good, and as for Bruce at least he gets to see if things work for you first.
Thanks for doing the test,I guess its like Mike said it must have been the MM stuff that had the problem.Pat

George D

Premium Member

Posted - 02/27/2005 :  07:54:20 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Pat,
It's a heavy paper sold in pads at art stores like Michaels. Here's a picture of it.

Shamus
Crew Chief

Posted - 02/28/2005 :  09:51:52 AM  Show Profile  Visit Shamus's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Hi George, your doing a real fine job on the structure, well done indeed.

Shamus

Rick
Administrator

Premium Member

Posted - 02/28/2005 :  10:22:19 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
George, great job. Looks just like the prototype.

George D

Premium Member

Posted - 02/28/2005 :  10:23:12 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks Shamus. The project is going to be on hold for a couple of weeks. We're heading for your part of the world tomorrow (London). Is it as damp and cold there as it is over here?

George

Dutchman
Administrator

Premium Member

Posted - 03/08/2005 :  9:41:57 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
George, no photos, but...

Tonight I glued the 1" x 12" trim board between the door frames of the Tichy doors for the front of the structure. I also picked up the metal chimney casting that I had ordered for the rear of the building. With these two items in hand, I can now cut out the front and rear of the building.

Some progress, anyway.

George D

Premium Member

Posted - 03/08/2005 :  9:53:39 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I'm glad to hear you're underway Bruce. I've started working on the roof today. We'll see how it turns out.

George

Bbags
Administrator

Premium Member

Posted - 03/10/2005 :  5:42:51 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Bruce and George,
I trust each of you will post a photo of your welding shop in the scratch building photo thread when you have completed your projects.
Now hurry up and finish for I can not wait to see the completed shops.

John Bagley
Modeling the Alaska Railroad in HO in Wildwood Georgia.

Page: of 12 Previous Topic: Clugstons Store Topic Next Topic: Lous Cowboy Hat _How-to  
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Previous Page | Next Page
Jump To:
Railroad Line Forums © 2000-19 Railroad Line Co. Go To Top Of Page
Steam was generated in 0.42 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000