Railroad Line Forums - Welding Shop
Railroad Line Forums
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register
Forgot Password?
  Home   Forums   Events Calendar   Sponsors   Support the RRLine   Guestbook   FAQ     Register
Active Topics | Active Polls | Resources | Members | Online Users | Live Chat | Avatar Legend | Search | Statistics
Photo Album | File Lister | File Library
[ Active Members: 1 | Anonymous Members: 0 | Guests: 92 ]  [ Total: 93 ]  [ Newest Member: Dakkon ]
 All Forums
 Model Railroad Forums
 Startin' from Scratch
 Welding Shop
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Author Previous Topic: Clugstons Store Topic Next Topic: Lous Cowboy Hat _How-to
Page: of 12

Dutchman
Administrator

Premium Member

Posted - 02/23/2005 :  3:25:19 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
George,
Model Builders Supply makes both smooth brick and rough brick sheets. I bought some of both. This picture is of the rough brick, where some protrude further than others. I will let you know what it is like to work with.

George D

Premium Member

Posted - 02/23/2005 :  9:08:30 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Bruce,

It looks good. I like having the availability of the rough brick for some projects. Is it styrene? If so, it'll make it easier to glue to the reinforcing pieces.

I might be spending tomorrow in Williamsburg helping my wife baby sit our granddaughter. If not I'll post a picture of a door with the Gallery Glass windows.

George

Dutchman
Administrator

Premium Member

Posted - 02/23/2005 :  10:22:33 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by George D

Bruce,

It looks good. I like having the availability of the rough brick for some projects. Is it styrene? If so, it'll make it easier to glue to the reinforcing pieces.

George, yes, it is styrene, so all the regular styrene cements should work. I am looking forward to seeing how your windows came out.

George D

Premium Member

Posted - 02/24/2005 :  09:33:03 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Here are the doors with the windowpanes made of Gallery Glass liquid. Notice the bottom pane, second from right, on the center left door is broken. When I finished applying the liquid to each door, I laid the door down so the windows weren't touching anything. Well, I messed up and had something touching it. It dried like a broken window, so I decided to go with one broken pane.

I guess my next step will be the floor.

Bruce, have you started yours yet?

George

Bbags
Administrator

Premium Member

Posted - 02/24/2005 :  09:44:45 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Looks very good George.
I am sure that this shop would have had at least one broken pane of glass at some point in it's life.

John Bagley
Modeling the Alaska Railroad in HO in Wildwood Georgia.

wvrr
Fireman

Posted - 02/24/2005 :  12:29:02 PM  Show Profile  Visit wvrr's Homepage  Reply with Quote
George,

They look great, broken window and all!

Chuck

Dutchman
Administrator

Premium Member

Posted - 02/24/2005 :  3:10:43 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
George, I like the windows, including the broken one.

quote:
Originally posted by George D

Bruce, have you started yours yet?

No, but the weekend is coming!

George D

Premium Member

Posted - 02/24/2005 :  10:10:53 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks for the comments guys. I started on the side windows today. The one problem with the liquid glass is that some of it ends up on the frame and it has to be touched up with paint to hide the sheen. There are some mighty thin mullions on those side windows. We'll see how steady my hand is.

George

belg
Fireman

Posted - 02/25/2005 :  06:53:56 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
George don't forget to keep the dullcoat away from the "glass" as it will eat it. Has yours dried hard? That was my biggest negative on this stuff, I will try some canopy glue for my next structure. Pat

Rick
Administrator

Premium Member

Posted - 02/25/2005 :  07:41:35 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
George, I think the doors look good, broken glass and all.

George D

Premium Member

Posted - 02/25/2005 :  08:15:38 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks Rick.

Pat. The Gallery Glass dries hard. I actually messed up two panes, but didn't want two windows next to each other to have the bottom part of the pane broken out. It was solid so I used a dental pick to pop it out. It broke into a couple of pieces, but came out easily. I plan to touch up the mullions with Ceramcoat.

George

Dutchman
Administrator

Premium Member

Posted - 02/25/2005 :  8:00:48 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The weekend finally arrived, so I got a chance to start the Welding shop.

Using the drawings that George made (for using the Grandt-Line windows), I cut out the side walls using .040 thickness styrene. I then layed out the windows -- again using measurements from the drawings.

When I am going to cover the walls with brick sheeting, I like to use the "etch and snap" method that John Nerich popularized. I ran the back of an xacto knife over each of the lines, then snapped them into these pieces.

Now I just put them back together and ran some styrene cement over the joints.

Next I glued the brick sheeting over the wall. Since it is styrene, I could again use styrene cement. I just put a little around the edges and ran some around the window openings from the back.

Last, I cut through the brick sheeting from the rear to make the window openings. I cut them a little small and finished up by using a emory board.

At this point, I still have a little filing to do on both walls, but they are fundamentally done.

Tomorrow I will work on the front of the building.

George D

Premium Member

Posted - 02/25/2005 :  8:12:36 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Bruce,

It's looking good. I'm glad to see you're taking a different approach - I'm here to learn.

George

wvrr
Fireman

Posted - 02/26/2005 :  07:58:44 AM  Show Profile  Visit wvrr's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Looks good, Bruce. Quick progress.

Chuck

MikeC
Administrator

Premium Member

Posted - 02/26/2005 :  10:15:44 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
You guys are making some great progress here!

Pat, I think it's the MicroMark glass stuff that can't get wet. I seem to recall reading somewhere that Gallery Glass is pretty much impervious to most liquids - including Dullcote - once it has completely dried.

Page: of 12 Previous Topic: Clugstons Store Topic Next Topic: Lous Cowboy Hat _How-to  
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Previous Page | Next Page
Jump To:
Railroad Line Forums © 2000-19 Railroad Line Co. Go To Top Of Page
Steam was generated in 0.48 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000