Railroad Line Forums - Faulks Oil Co.
Railroad Line Forums
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register
Forgot Password?
  Home   Forums   Events Calendar   Sponsors   Support the RRLine   Guestbook   FAQ     Register
Active Topics | Active Polls | Resources | Members | Online Users | Live Chat | Avatar Legend | Search | Statistics
Photo Album | File Lister | File Library
[ Active Members: 6 | Anonymous Members: 0 | Guests: 99 ]  [ Total: 105 ]  [ Newest Member: buford763 ]
 All Forums
 Model Railroad Forums
 Mike Chambers' Craftsman's Corner
 Faulks Oil Co.
Next Page
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Author Previous Topic: Paint question Topic Next Topic: Suggestions for planning this structure
Page: of 2

MikeC
Administrator

Premium Member

Posted - 01/06/2005 :  5:53:00 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I have finally completed the "Railroad Camp" diorama, with Faulks Oil Co. being the last structure. It's named after our good friend Jim Faulks (ANo10), and it seems appropriate given his propensity for hanging around oil wells in Texas and New Mexico.. (And in case anyone is interested, those are "DeYoung" pigeons on the roof.)

I have gas pumps and some other "gas station" detail parts on order, and they will be installed when Faulks is in place on the layout benchwork.

teejay
Fireman

Posted - 01/06/2005 :  6:21:21 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Beautiful work Mike . There are so many details to enjoy including the pile of tires . I like the open door shot with Klimczak's in the faded background .

TERRY

Mario Rapinett
Fireman

Posted - 01/06/2005 :  6:21:55 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
MIke.....wonderful.... my eyes caught the roof siding profile. Who makes the roof.

Mario

wvrr
Fireman

Posted - 01/06/2005 :  6:32:33 PM  Show Profile  Visit wvrr's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Wow, Mike. Really great stuff.

Chuck

Eddie Landreth
Fireman

Posted - 01/06/2005 :  6:49:28 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
WOW, Mike, really beautiful work! That roofs is very nice, too. Can you give us some details about it?

Rick
Administrator

Premium Member

Posted - 01/06/2005 :  6:52:42 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Mike, excellent craftsmanship. Great painting and weathering, especially the roof.

As you think, so will you be.

Jim T
Fireman

Posted - 01/06/2005 :  7:06:16 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Mike, that is an absolutely awesome diorama! I look at my meager efforts compared to your work and get depressed. On the other hand, I look at your work and get excited thinking about what I could do with practice, experience, and preseverence.

Jim

Peterpools
Engineer

Posted - 01/06/2005 :  7:26:33 PM  Show Profile  Visit Peterpools's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Mike
Faulks Oil is a delight to look at. Excellent modeling, particularly appreciate the way the rusted roof came out. Care to share any info and techniques with us?

Marken
Fireman

Posted - 01/06/2005 :  7:45:30 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote

In memory of Mike Chambers

Bbags
Administrator

Premium Member

Posted - 01/06/2005 :  7:49:35 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Great job Mike.
I also like the roof.
I am guessing that is BIS Ribbed Seam.
Did you use etchent and chalk or have you come up with a new method.

I am also really impressed with the sign.
That is very realistic and looks like it has been there for years.

DeYoung pigeons, is that a new breed.
I just can not find that breed anywhere in my Peterson Field Guide to birds.

John Bagley
Modeling the Alaska Railroad in HO in Wildwood Georgia.

lab-dad
Fireman

Posted - 01/06/2005 :  8:45:08 PM  Show Profile  Visit lab-dad's Homepage  Send lab-dad a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
Thats a keeper Mike!
I'll be reffering back to these for inspiration.
Thanks for posting.
congratulations on finishing it.
-Marty

MikeC
Administrator

Premium Member

Posted - 01/06/2005 :  8:55:20 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks for the kind words, everyone.

As I posted in the RRC construction thread, this is it for me. I'm finally finished with the diorama. I still have a few details to add, but they will wait until the layout benchwork is finished, and the whole scene can be transferred to the layout.

The roofing is from my last package of (original) Builders in Scale ribbed seam roofing/siding. I like it much better than the Campbell's roofing. It's easier to work with and takes etching much better (not to mention faster!) There's nothing special to how I did it. It's just the usual Radio Shack etchant, followed by a two bath (water) rinse. After dunking the panels in the second rinse, I let them dry overnight on paper towels. And that's pretty much it. No chalk powder on this roof, but a little dry-brushed and dappled white wash to simulate pigeon droppings.

John, Bruce got tired of my whining about not being able to find pigeons, so he sent me a set of Campbell/Weston pigeons this last summer. That pretty well shut me up, which is what he was counting on, I think. I've got a couple left and will put them on Klimczak's later.

bpate
Fireman

Posted - 01/06/2005 :  9:50:18 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Mike, that is a fantastic building. What a tribute to good ol' Faulksy!

Dutchman
Administrator

Premium Member

Posted - 01/06/2005 :  10:27:52 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Mike,
What a visual treat! I am glad that those Jersey pidgeons found a good home in the Ozarks.

So, are you really going to start working on the layout?

Bruce

Modeling the railroads of the Jersey Highlands in HO and the logging railroads of Pennsylvania in HOn3

fsmmodeler
Section Hand

Posted - 01/06/2005 :  10:28:27 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Mike,
Fantastic job on Faulks Oil. Very nice job on the white walls as well. Sometimes white is very difficult to get right and you have done an excellent job weathering it.
Scott

George D

Premium Member

Posted - 01/06/2005 :  10:46:18 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
That's fantastic Mike. The details look great. The pigeons are a nice touch and I like the weathering under them.

George

Page: of 2 Previous Topic: Paint question Topic Next Topic: Suggestions for planning this structure  
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Next Page
Jump To:
Railroad Line Forums © 2000-17 Railroad Line Co. Go To Top Of Page
Steam was generated in 0.38 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000