Railroad Line Forums - paint: Apple Barrel vs Creamcoat? difference?
Railroad Line Forums
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register
Forgot Password?
  Home   Forums   Events Calendar   Sponsors   Support the RRLine   Guestbook   FAQ     Register
Active Topics | Active Polls | Resources | Members | Online Users | Live Chat | Avatar Legend | Search | Statistics
Photo Album | File Lister | File Library
[ Active Members: 3 | Anonymous Members: 0 | Guests: 93 ]  [ Total: 96 ]  [ Newest Member: Bobhmg ]
 All Forums
 Model Railroad Forums
 Mike Chambers' Craftsman's Corner
 paint: Apple Barrel vs Creamcoat? difference?
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic |   Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic: Loctite Super Glue Topic Next Topic: What point do you Nail Hole?  

DennisT
New Hire

Posted - 11/09/2004 :  01:57:08 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
This question may be almost trivial. Initially I have been running into sales on Apple Barrel brand acrylic paints (2/.99). They have been mentioned here. Delta Creamcoat is mentioned almost constantly here. Am I buying an inferior paint?

And, .. should I be concerned about brands of chalk? I do recall seeing, "Rembrandt" mentioned. (the thought of working with chalk worries me)

I'm headed back to craft stores tomorrow with my wife so am planning ahead.

Thanks.
Dennis in the nearly deserted prairies of Eastern Washington state wheatlands

Bbags
Administrator

Premium Member

Posted - 11/09/2004 :  07:22:51 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Dennis,
There is no difference in quality between the different brands of craft paints that I know about.
Some are thicker than others and may require thinning.
I use blue windshield washer fluid which is a tip I learned here on the forum to thin the paints.

As for chalks there is nothing to be worried about.
I have used Rembrandt and other brands and they all work.
I do prefer Rembrandt.
The nice thing about chalk is that if you put it on dry and do not like it you can brush or wash it off and start again.
I use a mix of alcohol and chalk to make a slurry that I apply and the alcohol seems to hold the chalk in place.
If I do not like the results I use straight alcohol to remove the chalk.
Of all the things I have learned on this forum the use of chalk has been the most valuable to me.

John Bagley
Modeling the Alaska Railroad in HO in Wildwood Georgia.

MikeC
Administrator

Premium Member

Posted - 11/09/2004 :  10:23:39 AM  Show Profile  Visit MikeC's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Dennis, for most uses there is very little difference between Apple Barrel and Ceramcoat. I use both all the time. The main difference, I think, is that the pigments in Ceramcoat tend to be more finely ground than other brands and it's easier to airbrush as a result and get a smoother finish. (We had quite a discussion on this forum about 2 years ago about airbrushing craft paints. It was pretty much the consensus that Ceramcoat airbrushed better than the other brands.) But for brush painting, dry-brushing, etc., either brand works just fine.

I really like Rembrandt chalks and have been using them for several years. However, I also use Alpha-Color's "Earth Tone" set extensively. You can usually find it at art supply stores. The "Earth Tone" set has a full range of oranges and browns that work well for weathering.

Now, if you'll excuse me, I'm a busy man. I have a railroad to run.

Visit the Central Missouri & Southern

TomPM
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 11/09/2004 :  10:55:43 AM  Show Profile  Visit TomPM's Homepage  Send TomPM a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
Dennis

I regularly airbrush with both Apple Barrel and Folk Art paints. Both brands are made by Plaid. I have no trouble with either. One difference I have noticed is Apple Barrel is thinner than Folk Art. Folk Art can at times have the consistency of wet toothpaste. What this means is I thin Apple Barrel less than Folk Art. I use Folk Art and Apple Barrel because in my area they are more available than the Creamcoat in the colors I need.

Tom
Jack of All Trades Master of None
Ridley Keystone & Mountain Railroad
My Rail Images Gallery
NARA Member #100

angelanzus
Engine Wiper

Posted - 08/06/2005 :  08:16:12 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Tom, what is the ratio of thinner to paint when you use the Apple Barrel and Folk Art paints for air brushing.
Angela

George D

Premium Member

Posted - 08/06/2005 :  08:51:31 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
To follow up on Angela's question, what do you guys use to thin Ceramcoat?
George

Peterpools
Engineer

Posted - 08/06/2005 :  3:42:21 PM  Show Profile  Visit Peterpools's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Dennis
I use both Apple Barrel and Creamcoat. Both are excellent and will yield the same results.. The biggest difference.. The Apple Barrel bottles look so much better!

MikeC
Administrator

Premium Member

Posted - 08/06/2005 :  6:16:57 PM  Show Profile  Visit MikeC's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Angela, Tom is usually involved with the kid's activities on weekends, so I'll give you a quickie answer for him. He will probably see this and correct me or fill in the details later. If I'm not mistaken, he uses a 2:1 ratio (paint:thinner), with blue windshield washer fluid being the thinner he prefers.

George, windshield washer works quite well as a thinner. I have also read about - but not tried - Windex as both a paint thinner and airbrush cleaner for acrylics. If you want to go the "straight" route with the Ceramcoat brand, they make both a thinner and a brush cleaner specifically for their paints. Obviously, it's a lot more expensive than buying a gallon of windshield cleaner, but it is formulated for the carrier and pigment grind of Ceramcoat. I recently used their thinner with Folk Art's Barnwood to make an excellent wood stain.

TomPM
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 08/07/2005 :  12:11:14 AM  Show Profile  Visit TomPM's Homepage  Send TomPM a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
You got it right Mike! 2:1 Is the normal ratio I use.

I use the blue windshield washer fluid because I have found that it works. Also it is cheap. I went through a 2 quart jug last year and have finished off about half of one this year.

Mike I may give the Creamcoat thinner a try.

Tom
My Rail Images Gallery
NARA Member #100

George D

Premium Member

Posted - 08/07/2005 :  09:33:32 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks Mike and Tom. I like the price of the windshield washer option.

George

angelanzus
Engine Wiper

Posted - 08/07/2005 :  11:06:00 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thank you all for your advice and answers. I like to air brush but hate the cleanup afterwards and don't the enamels because of the odor. I don't have anywhere to airbrush anything except outside so have to do any of that stuff in the warmer months. I am very much a novice at airbrushing but like the look of it.
Angela

Retro-Lounge
Section Hand

Posted - 08/07/2005 :  11:38:47 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Wow, I never heard thast before. I have a bunch of the Delta Ceramcoat and havent used it much. Is that only for airbrushing, or does it work to thin the ceramcoat for brushing?

Thanks

Paul

quote:
Originally posted by Bbags

Dennis,
I use blue windshield washer fluid which is a tip I learned here on the forum to thin the paints.

TomPM
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 08/07/2005 :  12:48:56 PM  Show Profile  Visit TomPM's Homepage  Send TomPM a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
Paul

I use it for airbrushing and brush painting. I also use bwwf for making washes with a ratio from 4:1 to 6:1.

Tom
My Rail Images Gallery
NARA Member #100

MikeC
Administrator

Premium Member

Posted - 08/07/2005 :  12:52:57 PM  Show Profile  Visit MikeC's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Paul, I also use it for both airbrushing and brush painting. Another good use for the WSW fluid is to make stains from acrylic paints, which can then be used to represent faded paint on wood structures or for additional weathering.

About 3 years ago, Tom and I had one of the original discussions (on RR-L, anyway) about the use of WSW fluid and airbrushes. It was a pretty extensive dialog, as I recall. I don't remember now exactly where the thread is, but it's most likely on one the "back pages" of the HO "Mid-Scale" forum. It might be worth your time to look it up, if you're interested in the subject.

Previous Topic: Loctite Super Glue Topic Next Topic: What point do you Nail Hole?  
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic |   Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Railroad Line Forums © 2000-13 Railroad Line Co. Go To Top Of Page
Steam was generated in 0.33 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000