Railroad Line Forums - Tidewater Wharf.
Railroad Line Forums
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register
Forgot Password?
  Home   Forums   Events Calendar   Sponsors   Support the RRLine   Guestbook   FAQ     Register
Active Topics | Active Polls | Resources | Members | Online Users | Live Chat | Avatar Legend | Search | Statistics
Photo Album | File Lister | File Library
[ Active Members: 1 | Anonymous Members: 0 | Guests: 84 ]  [ Total: 85 ]  [ Newest Member: 36Plyguy ]
 All Forums
 Model Railroad Forums
 Mike Chambers' Craftsman's Corner
 Tidewater Wharf.
Previous Page
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Author Previous Topic: 2 Structures built by Terry Hansley Topic Next Topic: Scratch built craftsman kit-
Page: of 8

Bbags
Administrator

Premium Member

Posted - 02/19/2007 :  10:39:46 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Bud,
If I could digress for a moment.
Are you still working on Finianís Cannery Co. and do you plan on adding this to the layout.

John Bagley
Modeling the Alaska Railroad in HO in Wildwood Georgia.

olmacguy
Engine Wiper

Posted - 02/20/2007 :  1:26:13 PM  Show Profile  Visit olmacguy's Homepage  Reply with Quote
John,
You have a good memory. Yes, Finian's is the next shelf-orphan that I have decided to finish. And yes it has a planned place on the new layout. The plan as I now have it has Finian's next to Tidewater. Actually, my vision is as you walk into the room, you will see Tidewater first and Finian's will be behind it. For the purpose of my plan, I have decided not to use the trestle with Finian's. If you remember, there was some discussion in the past about the logic of having a trestle as shown in the Finian's plans. Actually, for me, the decision came down to not being able to design trackage to Finian's so a road will be the access.

As you probably remember, I had finished the office building and it's dock. I had also completed all of the main cannery building except for the water tank and large roof sign. Where I got stopped was in working on the dock for the main building. The large support for the dock flooring warped very badly for me. The laser cut part was very fragile and in trying to strengthen it, I used a water base coating and it warped so bad as not to be usable. When I placed it on the shelf, I was undecided about how to proceed. Last week, I pulled it off the orphan shelf and decided to see if I could get a replacement part and if not, I would scratch build it. I wasn't anxious to scratch build it so fortunately, after I contacted RetroTech, I found they can still provide the part. This time, I think I know how to handle the part so I can complete Finian's. When I say finish, I am not planning on doing a diorama on Finian's. My current plan is just to install both building on the waterfront area of the layout.

BTW, to show you how ambitious my plans are for the waterfront, I plan on having Tidewater, Finian's, Foss' Landing, Ships Chandler, Toadsuck Canning, along one side and across the front from Tidewater, I plan on having The Waterfront and Norm's Landing. I can see the man upstairs smiling at these plans. I will have to be very lucky to live long enough to see this done. I will try to remember the fun is in the journey and not the destination.

Bud

Rick
Administrator

Premium Member

Posted - 02/20/2007 :  1:44:43 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
"I can see the man upstairs smiling at these plans." Uh-oh, did somebody bump your lock?

As you think, so will you be.

essodee
Fireman

Posted - 02/20/2007 :  6:17:06 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Originally posted by olmacguy;

BTW, to show you how ambitious my plans are for the waterfront, I plan on having Tidewater, Finian's, Foss' Landing, Ships Chandler, Toadsuck Canning, along one side and across the front from Tidewater, I plan on having The Waterfront and Norm's Landing. I can see the man upstairs smiling at these plans. I will have to be very lucky to live long enough to see this done. I will try to remember the fun is in the journey and not the destination.

Bud
----------------------------------------------

Bud,

Great minds think alike...

I have all of the above kits too, with the exception of Finian's, for which I'll substitute Shelby's instead. Though at this time I have no layout, but I have in mind to combine them into a largish waterfront module with some trackage but with no real operations involved. So far I have Toadsuck about 80-90 percent complete, and I'll be joining the group build of Shelby's which starts March 1. Were it not for Shelby's I probably would have started next on a combo of Tidewater Wharf and The Waterfront. I am also building some boats and prepping a large batch of unpainted Presier LP's for incorporating amongst the scenes. As well as a few more cars and trucks, and extra castings of BIS nautical themed items, plus about six dozen nautical bird castings. There are also a number of different sized boats included with Foss's Landing, and Shelby's, plus some other stuff in my miscellaneous box. And, oh yes I just remembered, I have Bar Mills Fishing Shack which has a nice stone pier, lobstah bouys, traps, etc.

Having just turned 69 last week, I too, will have to try to live a long time to accomplish most or all of this. I had a great time over the past year, after returning to the hobby and joining the forum, of tracking down some of these hard to get OOP kits, biding my time and waiting for opportunity cracks. So I hope to continue having a good time putting them together into a synergistic composite that hopefully will be greater than the sum of the individual parts.

Having this great forum for communication with peers, is a great antitdote to all the hours spent alone working and creating. It's such a great source for ideas, inspiration, tutorials and general cameraderie. An occasional outing to a MRR event such as Scotty's recent Springfield Layout Tour or the upcoming NG Convention in Maine or the upcoming Craftsman Show in Mass, serve well to come face to face with some of the members that I've come to know through their postings in a virtual way.

Ah, ya gotta luv it.

Stevie O'

belg
Fireman

Posted - 02/20/2007 :  7:19:33 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hey Steve, how about a few shots of the boats your building, as you know I'll need one soon for my Shelby's and would love to see what a master carpenter does to build a boat. Sent you an Email last nite did you see it yet? Pat

Edited by - belg on 02/20/2007 7:20:24 PM

Bbags
Administrator

Premium Member

Posted - 02/20/2007 :  9:23:43 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Bud,
I remember Finian's well as I considered buying the kit when it was first introduced but did not.
I also am modeling the waterfront but it is a riverfront.
I have almost completed a 12' by 6' section of my layout that has a river running the 12' length on each side.

On one riverbank sit:
The Ships Chandlers(completed), A scratch build based on Hook Line & Sinker from the FSM(structure completed but not the wharf), Sam Cahoons(75% completed) Hamilton Dinghies(Structure completed but needs details) and Quincy Salvage which sits on the river with it's own dock to receive shipments.(75% completed.

The second riverbank has:
Fos' Landing(completed), A scratch build done for one of the Challenges(completed), a second scratch build using the Wharf from Campbells and added structures(completed) and the Department of Docks from Fos(not yet started).

The second section of the layout will give me an 8' river where I will model both sides of the river.
On one side Shelby's(starting soon), The Waterfront(25% completed) and Norms Landing(not yet started).
The opposite riverbank will have Blue Sky(not yet purchased but will be getting the no frills kit from Sierra West and some scratch builds that will represent real structures found in the region I model.

So I guess Stevie, yourself and I all have large plans for our retirement.

I am going to be 67 this June so Stevie is older than I am and you may be a few years younger since you have recently retired.

However I think the three of us should make a pack that none of us goes away until all three of us have completed our waterfronts.

John Bagley
Modeling the Alaska Railroad in HO in Wildwood Georgia.

bitlerisvj
Fireman

Posted - 02/21/2007 :  11:44:04 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
WOW!!! All I can says is that these are the best photos of Tidewater Wharf I have ever seen. Thanks for sharing.
Regards, Vic Bitleris
quote:
Originally posted by olmacguy

Well, it has been a struggle and a long time finishing but I have finally completed my Tidewater Wharf. It has been a work in progress for over a year and it took retirement for me to finally finished it. I plan on this diorama being a focal point of the water front area of a new layout that I am beginning. After retirement, I promised myself this would be the first "shelf orphan" that I would finish. Now, hopefully, I can concentrate on building the layout.

Since I have seen many requests for photos of the Tidewater Wharf by BIS in the past, I hope these pictures want be overkill. After all, as you might image, I am very happy with the way it turned out.

Bud

Front view:

Right side:

Back view:

Left side:

Over view 1:
B

Over view 2:

Over view 3:

Over view 4:

olmacguy
Engine Wiper

Posted - 02/21/2007 :  12:03:49 PM  Show Profile  Visit olmacguy's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Stephen,
Looks like you, John and myself are near the same age with many plans. Lets hope our life lines matches our wishes. My goal is to have my layout in good order for the National Narrow Gauge convention in 2010 to be held in St. Louis. So, mark your calendar for that one. With it being located in the central US, it should be reachable by most modelers in the contiguous 48 states. The convention center is only about 20 minutes from my house. I also look forward to meeting you in Portland this year.

John,
I have seen some of the photos you have posted of your work so far. I think you have done an outstanding job and wish I had as much done as you. I only 4 or 5 months younger that you. I waited until I was over 65 1/2 before retiring. So, you, Stephen and myself are very close in age. Hopefully, our numbers want come up until with have accomplished a lot more. As I told Stephen, I am negotiating for a least the end of 2010. We will see how the negotiations work out. Wish me luck. Also, hopefully, you will be in Portland this year?

Vic,
Thanks for the attaboy. It is very much appreciated.

Bud

essodee
Fireman

Posted - 02/21/2007 :  12:36:29 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Well John & Bud,

I am 100% in favor of any pact that extends my years on the green side of the grass. I have to at least live long enough to collect on all that SS 'contributions' I made throughout my working life since about 14.

It's good to have a long term scheme or ambition in mind during retirement. The only problem is that time really flies by when you are so busy and involved with projects. I find that as I shed each one of my former divertisements and curtail my social engagements to a minimum, that it opens up vast stretches of time to work and think about modeling. There is so much in modern life that grabs for one's attention, that it can easily overwhelm your leisure time, which, along with health, is one's most precious commodity.

So, I'm off for a walk right now since it's 47 and sunny here after a brutal 3-4 weeks, and then its back into the bench for more modeling.

Stevie O'

railandsail
New Hire

Posted - 05/25/2014 :  10:23:12 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by olmacguy

Well, it has been a struggle and a long time finishing but I have finally completed my Tidewater Wharf. It has been a work in progress for over a year and it took retirement for me to finally finished it. I plan on this diorama being a focal point of the water front area of a new layout that I am beginning. After retirement, I promised myself this would be the first "shelf orphan" that I would finish. Now, hopefully, I can concentrate on building the layout.

Since I have seen many requests for photos of the Tidewater Wharf by BIS in the past, I hope these pictures want be overkill. After all, as you might image, I am very happy with the way it turned out.

Bud

Over view 4:

I just found this subject thread as I looked for this Tidewater Wharf kit structure. I had bought a very beautiful waterfront scene that included this kit. Here are some photos I posted on another subject thread:
http://www.modelrailroadforums.com/forum/showthread.php?34473-Waterfront-Harbor-Scene-buildings-barges-tugs-detailed

But notice my lighthouse is a different structure than the one shown in the original kit. Can someone ID this lighthouse I have??

Download Attachment: DSCF3181.jpg
197.92†KB

PS: Sorry, don't understand how to upload the image to this forum?

I'm also having trouble using the 'search' function. I wanted to look for other postings on 'lighthouses' & 'tug boats', but it just seemed to time-out??

Edited by - railandsail on 05/26/2014 12:25:27 AM

fsmmodeler
Section Hand

Posted - 05/27/2014 :  8:30:13 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The light house in your picture is an older Crow River Models Kit. It is a really nice kit.

Rick
Administrator

Premium Member

Posted - 05/27/2014 :  8:56:34 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
"PS: Sorry, don't understand how to upload the image to this forum?" You uploaded your picture successfully.
Now you just need to edit the string that was generated when you uploaded your picture.
Start at step 7 in this thread: http://www.railroad-line.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=15110

To use the search, read this thread: http://www.railroad-line.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=36414

As you think, so will you be.

clif
Engine Wiper

Posted - 05/27/2014 :  9:10:49 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The name of the kit is The Saybrook Lighthouse, as fsmmodeler said, by crow river.

lightengine
New Hire

Posted - 06/02/2014 :  05:32:32 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Great modelling and really interesting detail. I enjoyed reading about it.
One detail overlooked after all the weathering you have done to the scene is that all the figures have 'shiny' clothes!
Otherwise its brilliant.

Page: of 8 Previous Topic: 2 Structures built by Terry Hansley Topic Next Topic: Scratch built craftsman kit-  
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Previous Page
Jump To:
Railroad Line Forums © 2000-17 Railroad Line Co. Go To Top Of Page
Steam was generated in 0.61 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000