Railroad Line Forums - A Great Scratchbuilding Project For Beginners
Railroad Line Forums
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register
Forgot Password?
  Home   Forums   Events Calendar   Sponsors   Support the RRLine   Guestbook   FAQ     Register
Active Topics | Active Polls | Resources | Members | Online Users | Live Chat | Avatar Legend | Search | Statistics
Photo Album | File Lister | File Library
[ Active Members: 2 | Anonymous Members: 0 | Guests: 60 ]  [ Total: 62 ]  [ Newest Member: rkovvur ]
 All Forums
 Model Railroad Forums
 Startin' from Scratch
 A Great Scratchbuilding Project For Beginners
Next Page
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Author Previous Topic: G10 WWII German Boxcar in 1:6 scale (BIG!) Topic Next Topic: Pipeline
Page: of 8

Dutchman
Administrator

Premium Member

Posted - 09/01/2004 :  7:50:40 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Over a year ago now, before joining the RR-L Forum, I was searching the net for information on scratchbuilding structures. I happened across the "Beginners" section of an NMRA website and downloaded the drawings of a small building that I thought I might want to build.

Now, while working on my "Shacks, Sheds & Shanties" project, I am finally going to roll up the old sleeves and actually do it.

Here are the sketches of the building:

The building looked a little too small for me, so I simply enlarged the drawings on the copier until the vertical height of the building measured 9 scale feet at its lowest point.

For those wanting to visit the site, here is the link for the drawing: http://www.nmra.org/beginner/draw1.jpg

and the beginners site itself:
http://www.nmra.org/beginner/

I will post my progress on this project for those who might want to try a small scratchbuilding project of their own.

MikeC
Administrator

Premium Member

Posted - 09/01/2004 :  9:03:37 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Bruce, this is exactly the sort of thing I love seeing on the forum! (For almost two years I thought about doing some kind of step-by-step "tutorial" on scratchbuilding, but just never got to it. )

I'm looking forward to following your progress with this. Wood, styrene, or cardboard? And.... will you be using framing and board-by-board construction? Or will it be scribed siding with the windows and doors cut out?

I think this is going to be a great thread!

Tyson Rayles

Premium Member

Posted - 09/01/2004 :  9:29:35 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Like Mike, I'll also be watching this with great interest!

TomPM
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 09/01/2004 :  9:57:24 PM  Show Profile  Visit TomPM's Homepage  Send TomPM a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
I might as well jion the party! I'll standing by waiting to see how it develops.

Tom
Jack of All Trades Master of None
Ridley Keystone & Mountain Railroad
My Rail Images Gallery
NARA Member #100

Catt
Fireman

Posted - 09/01/2004 :  10:00:45 PM  Show Profile  Visit Catt's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I'm definately looking forward to this little project.

Be sure to post a bunch of pictures.

Johnathan (Catt) Edwards
100% Michigan made

ANo10
Fireman

Posted - 09/01/2004 :  10:16:05 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Bruce,

I'll be looking forward to your progress. Maybe a construction diary??

Jim

ETinBH
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 09/01/2004 :  10:18:39 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Yes, let the Games begin!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Elliott

teejay
Fireman

Posted - 09/01/2004 :  10:19:10 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Great idea , Bruce , I'm going to be watching for it .I'm sure we will all come away with some good ideas from your effort .

Thanks, TERRY

Dutchman
Administrator

Premium Member

Posted - 09/01/2004 :  10:24:56 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Oh boy, now the pressure is mounting with you guys looking over my shoulder.

Mike, those are all questions that I have been thinking about since deciding to do this project. I am currently leaning toward stripwood walls, cardstock roof, and either Tichy or Grandt Line windows. We will see.

Yes, Jim, I will do a step-by-step diary. I hope that I can keep up a pace to keep up your interest.

George D

Premium Member

Posted - 09/01/2004 :  11:06:42 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Bruce, you have my attention. This is a great idea.

George

anbhurst

Premium Member

Posted - 09/02/2004 :  04:09:09 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Why, . .the title along drew me to this thread! Thanks Bruce for the encouragement to us beginners. We attended an interesting clinic tonight at the NGC on building with styrene. It covered all the phases from designing from the prototypes to assembly. Got to run for now for some . See ya all down the line.

Allen
Modelling the East in the West!

quote:
Originally posted by Dutchman

Over a year ago now, before joining the RR-L Forum, I was searching the net for information on scratchbuilding structures. I happened across the "Beginners" section of an NMRA website and downloaded the drawings of a small building that I thought I might want to build. . .

Allen
Modeling the East in the West on the Northeastern Pacific RIM, Oregon, that is!

Dutchman
Administrator

Premium Member

Posted - 09/02/2004 :  10:04:50 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
OK, strip wood it is. I have a good supply of HO scale dimension stripwood, but since this model will only be seen from the outside, I decided to use 1/32" X 3/32" basswood that I buy from MicroMark. 3/32" is very close to a scale 10" plank, so should look fine.

I want this building to look well worn, so I will begin by adding some grain with a razor saw. Simply hold the strip with one hand and run a fine tooth saw the lenght of the strip.

This will raise a lot of fuzz, so next I ran the wood through a folded piece of fine sand paper and then finshed by running it through some 00000 steel wool.

(If you don't want such deep grain, you can do the same thing with a wire brush.)

Next, I stained the wood using Micro Mark's "Railroad Tie and Bridge Stain". (I have several plastic containers that I use for this. This type of container comes packaged with such things a Q-tips.)

After taking the stripwood out of the stain, I put it on wax paper to dry overnight.

Here is what it looked like at that point.

Edited by - Dutchman on 09/07/2004 6:49:25 PM

Bbags
Administrator

Premium Member

Posted - 09/02/2004 :  10:53:40 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Bruce,
This is outstanding.
I wish someone had started a thread like this 3 years ago when I started my modeling.
Keep up the good work.

John Bagley
Modeling the Alaska Railroad in HO in Wildwood Georgia.

postalkarl
Fireman

Posted - 09/02/2004 :  11:53:52 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi All:

Looks like the Mooney's Plumbing on my layout. I love it go get em.

Karl s.

Dutchman
Administrator

Premium Member

Posted - 09/03/2004 :  06:51:36 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks, John & Karl. I keep my detail parts in a plastic 3 drawer organizer that I picked up at Bed, Bath & Beyond. (Hey, keep your eyes open for modeling supplies and equipment no matter what store your wife brings you to!)

Looking through the "Window & Door" drawer, I decided to use some Campbell windows for this project. I will use #905's for the larger windows, and a #903 for the little window above the large door. These windows are about the size of the outlines contained in the plans. I could not find any doors in my collection that I was happy with, so I will build them out of wood.

TomPM
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 09/03/2004 :  08:37:00 AM  Show Profile  Visit TomPM's Homepage  Send TomPM a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
Nice start Bruce.

I like the Q-tip box idea. I have a few of them lying around, now I know why.

Tom
Jack of All Trades Master of None
Ridley Keystone & Mountain Railroad
My Rail Images Gallery
NARA Member #100

Page: of 8 Previous Topic: G10 WWII German Boxcar in 1:6 scale (BIG!) Topic Next Topic: Pipeline  
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Next Page
Jump To:
Railroad Line Forums © 2000-19 Railroad Line Co. Go To Top Of Page
Steam was generated in 0.44 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000