Railroad Line Forums - RS O Scale Backwoods Water Tower
Railroad Line Forums
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register
Forgot Password?
  Home   Forums   Events Calendar   Sponsors   Support the RRLine   Guestbook   FAQ     Register
Active Topics | Active Polls | Resources | Members | Online Users | Live Chat | Avatar Legend | Search | Statistics
Photo Album | File Lister | File Library
[ Active Members: 7 | Anonymous Members: 0 | Guests: 92 ]  [ Total: 99 ]  [ Newest Member: pilot2fly ]
 All Forums
 Model Railroad Forums
 Mike Chambers' Craftsman's Corner
 RS O Scale Backwoods Water Tower
Next Page
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Author Previous Topic: Micro Scales Carharts..progress pics Topic Next Topic: Lane Stewart plaster brick and stone painting
Page: of 4

ANo10
Fireman

Posted - 08/30/2004 :  12:22:00 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I've started the build on Rusty Stumps BW Water Tower. Rusty "done good" on this kit. I inventoried the O scale kit and all of the parts and pieces were there. I like the way each bag has a label to list the contents of that particular bag. The Signature version of the Water Tank has a special treat, double sided scribed siding. It gives the inside of the tank a more finished appearance.

I've had the scale lumber soaking in staining solution for the past day and they are now drying for 24 hours. Today is globe valve assembly day. One of Rusty's suppliers sent a 4/6 bolt flange, 4 bolts on one side, six on the other. A needle file should correct this.

I substituted a version of Mike C's stain for the orginal wood stain in the manual. I was trying for a "Colorado-type" (cedar) weathering stain which is more red than the recommended stain.

The "Colorado" stain's recipe is:
(Apple Barrel acrylic craft paints)
1 tsp - Burnt Sienna
1 tsp - Red Spice
1 tsp - Barn Red
1 tsp - Black ink
16 oz - Windshield Washer Fluid

In the second picture, from the top down, pieces 5,6 and 9 right side of the scale lumber is the "weep method" described in the Weathering/Stain thread, using a black prismacolor marker.

Other that the stain substitute, I'm following the manuals recommeded stains/paints.

Looks as if this is going to be a fun build.

Jim

Edited by - ANo10 on 08/30/2004 12:29:09 PM

teejay
Fireman

Posted - 08/30/2004 :  12:52:41 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Jim , the cedar colour was a good choice , I think .........can't wait to see the assembled version . I just did a small scratchbuilt wood bridge in a cedar stain of sorts , and like the effect although technically it probably doesn't belong near a steel mill in the real world . I really like the effect and decided to use it anyhow .

TERRY

MikeC
Administrator

Premium Member

Posted - 08/30/2004 :  4:23:39 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Jim, the wood is looking good. Thanks for the new recipe!

I really like the effect of the black marker on the board ends of those 3 pieces. It already looks like wood that's been subjected to water seepage too long and is beginning to turn color. Very nice!

Tyson Rayles

Premium Member

Posted - 08/30/2004 :  5:30:41 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Jim, that looks great! Now when did Walt say the n-scale version is going to be ready?

Mike

Edited by - Tyson Rayles on 08/30/2004 5:31:58 PM

Rusty Stumps
Fireman

Posted - 08/30/2004 :  6:10:02 PM  Show Profile  Visit Rusty Stumps's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Actually Tyson, I'm thinking of brining all the rest of my kits out in G scale as my eyes are getting old!

One correction on Jim's comments, the 4 bolt/6 bolt flange is the way the item was designed. Why I have no idea, but that's all folks!

Walt

paulbrockatsf
Fireman

Posted - 08/30/2004 :  8:45:52 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote

Jim,

That is an interesting color. Thanks for the recipe. It will be helpful for future modeling.

I received notice that my payment for my O scale water tower has been accepted & a mailing label has been printed. Looks like I should be getting mine soon.

Paul

ANo10
Fireman

Posted - 09/01/2004 :  10:38:54 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks everyone.

I've finished the plumbing and globe valve and started on weeping the scribed siding. I should finish that today and on to THE WRAP.
The photo below is where I left off last night. Two down and one more to go, then some drybrushing and the tank siding will be ready to wrap.

I used a Black Prismacolor marker for the base of the tank and Sienna Brown Prismacolor for the rest. The grooves for the bands, Rusty cut, made the weeping a lot easier.

Jim

Edited by - ANo10 on 09/01/2004 10:43:48 AM

MikeC
Administrator

Premium Member

Posted - 09/01/2004 :  10:59:58 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Jim, now that you've done the banding grooves, the siding is starting to look more like the prototype tower in your photos. Nice work.

On30fan
Crew Chief

Posted - 09/01/2004 :  7:32:36 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I thought I'd add this on to here since it kind of fits. I just received an early b-day present today: the water tank kit #7. Thanks for a great looking kit Walt
I'm going to be all over town tommorrow doing the weekly shopping so I'll be stopping into walmart for some creamcoat paints, just have to figure out if I like the recomended color or Jim's cedar type stain better.
I'm off to reread the book again.

Cheers,
Steve
San Juan Lumber Company
Niagara Frontier Traction Company

Rusty Stumps
Fireman

Posted - 09/01/2004 :  7:51:42 PM  Show Profile  Visit Rusty Stumps's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Steve, as I don't see you on the Water Tank order list I take it someone else bought this for you, Geri I think. As you are making your post here I will (dangerously) assume it's the O scale kit.

There is a very small correction to the manual. Page 13, lower right corner. That paragraph should read:

Take a 1/16 elbow and ACC it onto the end of a 19 length of 1/16 rod and let dry. This will be the overflow Pipe to the Tank. See Picture 1.1. It is the assembly in the center of the picture. Then do the second 1/16 rod likewise. It will be the supply pipe shown to the left in Picture 1.1.

Only three kits got out with this, yours was one of them. Sorry!

Have fun with the kit. It's interesting the various ways people are finishing this kit, each one is a classic by itself.

Walt

On30fan
Crew Chief

Posted - 09/01/2004 :  10:26:09 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
You got it Walt. I usually get RR stuff for b-days as long as I'm specific on what I want. Otherwise I get powertools, still good, but not as mich fun. Thanks for the info, I printed that out and I'll keep it with the kit.

Cheers,
Steve
San Juan Lumber Company

paulbrockatsf
Fireman

Posted - 09/02/2004 :  02:19:53 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote

Walt,

I recieved my kit today. Everything arrived fine & in good shape. Thanks for the fast shipping.

Paul

Rusty Stumps
Fireman

Posted - 09/02/2004 :  10:38:29 AM  Show Profile  Visit Rusty Stumps's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by paulbrockatsf

Walt,

I recieved my kit today. Everything arrived fine & in good shape. Thanks for the fast shipping.

Paul

Paul, I hope you took note of my comment above about the paragraph on page 13. Have fun with the kit.

Walt

On30fan
Crew Chief

Posted - 09/11/2004 :  1:14:45 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Well, I decided to get busy and work on the water tower. I used the stain colors recomended in the booklet, but the wood came out more pinkish than grey. I'm not sure why, I sloshed the bags around every hour or so to keep things mixed. Oh well! I ended up staining the wood with the trusty alcohol/ink mix and it came out grey/brown. The only other problem (so far) was with the tank wrapper. It didn't exactly split but the glue joint between sheets gave out when I was gluing it to the core. Not a big deal, I put a dark stain there to look like a leak.

First up is an overall pic. The logs and the 12x12 beam aren't that shiny in real life, but they are that dark. I figure it's a very wet area so they will be mossy/moldy/rotting. If you look close at the pulleys on the front support you can see the wheels have holes in them. Nice detail that I didn't catch at first when I was cleaning up the castings.

Here's a bit closer view of the walkway. Here you can also see the globe valve. Hard to belive there's 7 pieces in a detail less than 1/4 inch long

Even closer pic of the valve, and the tank straps. The straps were a major pain until I dug out the needle with half the eye missing to place CA in the grooves. That worked better than using the pointy end.

Here's a pic of the underside of the deck. I'm not sure where the yellow stains on the posts came from, but I can't see them in real life. I think I'm going to add some NBW's to the joints. I wish I had thought of it while I was building the supports. It would've been easier then

I'm having a lot of fun building this tower, next up is the spout and piping. Thanks for a great kit Walt!

Cheers,
Steve
San Juan Lumber Company

teejay
Fireman

Posted - 09/11/2004 :  1:48:06 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
It looks very good , Steve . All your hard work is paying off and I'm sure you will be happy with this magnificent water tower .The yellow stain you referred to looks like it might be glue , but it isn't out of place ...everything looks just fine to me .

TERRY

Rusty Stumps
Fireman

Posted - 09/11/2004 :  2:09:55 PM  Show Profile  Visit Rusty Stumps's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Steve, it looks pretty darn good to me. You should be real proud of your work. If you don't mind I'd like to lift your photos and publish them on the RS website? Truthfully, I never built the O scale version but figure it was an exact enlargement of the HO version, which I built three of, so it should work out ok, and it did. That's a very big plus for designing something in a program like AutoSketch as it's very precise.

Walt

Page: of 4 Previous Topic: Micro Scales Carharts..progress pics Topic Next Topic: Lane Stewart plaster brick and stone painting  
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Next Page
Jump To:
Railroad Line Forums © 2000-14 Railroad Line Co. Go To Top Of Page
Steam was generated in 0.52 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000