Railroad Line Forums - Tractor Repair Shed Progress
Railroad Line Forums
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register
Forgot Password?
  Home   Forums   Events Calendar   Sponsors   Support the RRLine   Guestbook   FAQ     Register
Active Topics | Active Polls | Resources | Members | Online Users | Live Chat | Avatar Legend | Search | Statistics
Photo Album | File Lister | File Library
[ Active Members: 2 | Anonymous Members: 0 | Guests: 78 ]  [ Total: 80 ]  [ Newest Member: dtrocket ]
 All Forums
 Model Railroad Forums
 Mike Chambers' Craftsman's Corner
 Tractor Repair Shed Progress
Next Page
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Author Previous Topic: New England Farmhouse (Creative Laser Design) Topic Next Topic: weathering structures using Bragdonent dry pigment
Page: of 7

MikeC
Administrator

Premium Member

Posted - 08/28/2004 :  7:04:27 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I started SW's Tractor Repair Shed over two years ago. However, other projects, such as Foss' Landing, Railroad Camp, and the first two Challenge projects, managed to get in the way. As a result, I have worked on this only in spits 'n spurts. In fact, the last time was about a year ago.

But after seeing Dave R.'s scratchbuilt version, I got really motivated to get back to work on my kit version. So I have designated it my "weekend" project, and I'm back at it.

Obviously, I still have a long way to go. But I have started to detail the interior of the blacksmith's area.

The photos below are of the model when I quite working on it a year ago. I posted the photos at that time, but here they are again for anyone who's interested.

Download Attachment: TractorShed26wp.jpg
59.58 KB

Download Attachment: TractorShed31wp.jpg
61.17 KB

Download Attachment: TractorShed32wp.jpg
43.25 KB

Download Attachment: TractorShed33wp.jpg
63.18 KB

Like I said, I still have a long, long way to go.

George D

Premium Member

Posted - 08/28/2004 :  7:28:18 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Mike, the repair shed is coming along very nicely. I like your painting and weathering of the interior details. It looks like you're building it in place. I've never tried that, any problems with that approach?

George

Marken
Fireman

Posted - 08/28/2004 :  7:41:46 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Looks really nice so far Mike

Keep us updated on your progress.

In memory of Mike Chambers

nalmeida
Fireman

Posted - 08/28/2004 :  7:42:42 PM  Show Profile  Visit nalmeida's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I'll be looking at this one very closely since it inspired me for a scratch built structure.

drevelia
Engine Wiper

Posted - 08/28/2004 :  8:21:23 PM  Show Profile  Visit drevelia's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Mike, You have it looking good. I think it's a neat looking structure regardless of scale.
Dave R.

Tyson Rayles

Premium Member

Posted - 08/28/2004 :  9:02:41 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
It's looking darn good to me!!!

Bbags
Administrator

Premium Member

Posted - 08/28/2004 :  9:50:13 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Mike,
Your attention to details is very apparent in this model.
This is one model that deserves to be finished and I look forward to more pictures.

John Bagley
Modeling the Alaska Railroad in HO in Wildwood Georgia.

TomPM
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 08/28/2004 :  9:51:47 PM  Show Profile  Visit TomPM's Homepage  Send TomPM a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
Looks like it is coming together real nice!

Tom
Jack of All Trades Master of None
Ridley Keystone & Mountain Railroad
My Rail Images Gallery
NARA Member #100

Dutchman
Administrator

Premium Member

Posted - 08/28/2004 :  9:53:17 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Mike,
Good to see you back working on this project. I love all that interior detail, and look forward to more photos.

Bruce

lostcanyonrr
Engine Wiper

Posted - 08/29/2004 :  01:06:45 AM  Show Profile  Visit lostcanyonrr's Homepage  Send lostcanyonrr an AOL message  Reply with Quote
I too started this one a couple years back but with all the other projects going on it's hard getting back to it. Of course there's the National Narrow Gauge Convention next week where I'm sure I won't be buying any other kits!!! At last years convention I took a really nice photo of Brett's Tractor Repair Shed and I'll be looking forward to more pictures from you Mike to help me get excited about finishing this one up. If only I hadn't started Railroad Camp I might be further along, wait a second, I still have to finish Railroad Camp!

n/a
deleted

Posted - 08/29/2004 :  04:29:05 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Mike,

It's looking real nice. I too like your interior detailing. Did you scartchbuild the forge hood? How are you staining your wood siding? Please keep the pictures coming.

Marc

MikeC
Administrator

Premium Member

Posted - 08/29/2004 :  11:06:30 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks for the comments and compliments, guys.

quote:
Originally posted by George D

It looks like you're building it in place. I've never tried that, any problems with that approach?

George

George, I'm building the structure on a diorama base that measures 10" w X 12" d. The base is 1/2" plywood with 1/4" pink foam laminated to it. It's designed to "plug in" to a larger modular (or perhaps sectional) base with (hopefully) no troubles.

quote:
Originally posted by marc_reusser

Did you scartchbuild the forge hood? How are you staining your wood siding?

Mark, the forge hood and pipe are assembled from a resin casting and two pieces of styrene that are cut to shape. After ACC'ing the pieces, I painted and weathered the assembly. The resin hood casting itself was designed by Brett Gallant and came with the kit.

For many years, I have used a homemade wood stain that is similar to the stains recommended by Brett in the kit instructions. The main difference is that I generally use different colors and not as many colors mixed together as what Brett calls for in the manual. The stain is made simply from cheap craft acrylics and water. For this particular model, if I remember correctly, I mixed about 1-1/2 to 2 tsp. of raw umber with 1 tsp. of burnt umber and 1 tsp of water soluble black ink (not true India ink) in about 16 oz. of water. All of the stripwood is then put in ziplock bags and soaked in the stain for up to 24 hours. I turn the bags every few hours because the paint pigments settle out. But it's also the settling of the pigments on the stripwood that causes the variations in color.

If I want a different appearance to the wood, I simply change the pigment color in the basic mix. For example, basing the stains on the siennas (raw and burnt) can yield a very nice reddish color in the wood. Some of the stripwood flooring planks in the photo below were stained with the usual umber-based stain, but the rest were stained in a sienna-based stain for some variation in the color of the flooring.

Rick
Administrator

Premium Member

Posted - 08/29/2004 :  12:52:16 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Mike, your attention to detail and casting painting is second to none. Thanks for the pictures.

Admin
Forum Admin

Posted - 08/29/2004 :  9:52:27 PM  Show Profile  Visit Admin's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Mike, Awesome as usual..
Very Inspiring !!!

Joe

Jeff Compton
Engine Wiper

Premium Member

Posted - 08/30/2004 :  10:46:09 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Mike, Great looking model as usual! Thanks for the tip on the homemade stain and the ziplock bags. Might have missed it before, but sounds like an excellent way of staining and varying the colors. I plan on trying it with Quincys.

ANo10
Fireman

Posted - 08/30/2004 :  11:02:29 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Mike,

Outstanding modelling as usually. Thanks for the stain recipe. I just tried it and I like it. I only substituted two colors. Thanks again.

Jim

Edited by - ANo10 on 08/30/2004 11:04:28 AM

Page: of 7 Previous Topic: New England Farmhouse (Creative Laser Design) Topic Next Topic: weathering structures using Bragdonent dry pigment  
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Next Page
Jump To:
Railroad Line Forums © 2000-19 Railroad Line Co. Go To Top Of Page
Steam was generated in 0.51 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000