Railroad Line Forums - The Greatest Year Yet?
Railroad Line Forums
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register
Forgot Password?
  Home   Forums   Events Calendar   Sponsors   Support the RRLine   Guestbook   FAQ     Register
Active Topics | Active Polls | Resources | Members | Online Users | Live Chat | Avatar Legend | Search | Statistics
Photo Album | File Lister | File Library
[ Active Members: 7 | Anonymous Members: 0 | Guests: 110 ]  [ Total: 117 ]  [ Newest Member: walkerci ]
 All Forums
 Model Railroad Forums
 Mike Chambers' Craftsman's Corner
 The Greatest Year Yet?
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Author Previous Topic: Houligans Alley Topic Next Topic: SW Water Tank and Tool Shed - Need info  

Rick
Administrator

Premium Member

Posted - 08/27/2004 :  5:37:32 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
We haven't seen the new FSM kit yet, but there is already a lot of buzz of how nice it is. So much so that people are already sending their checks in to make sure they don't miss out. Bob at SRM has already put pictures up on his site of this years kit, and again, there is a lot of positive comments and that it is his best kit in the last few years. Brett is due to anounce his latest offering and I'm sure it will also be as well recieved as all of his other kits. FOS has just anounced their newest model, and from the comments I have read hear on the forum, it is a winner. FOS also released earlier this year JJ Hollender, which although is not sold out yet, is a very nice looking model. Art at Bar Mills is ready to announce a new kit. According to Art it will be a 'Big' kit. Our own Rusty has released his first kit and Karl just posted a new kit this morning. Downtown Deco, Tom York and Micro-Scale have already or will shortly rease new kits. Have I left any out?
What I'm getting at is, has there ever been a time where so many quality craftsman kits have been released in one year? Will we look back 10, 20 or more years from now and look back on 2004 as the high water mark for craftsman kits?
As you think, so will you be.

Bbags
Administrator

Premium Member

Posted - 08/27/2004 :  6:05:10 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Rick,
I agree totally with your observations.
With the demise of the blue boxes and the trend to RTR many people are saying that model railroading is on the decline.
However with craftsman kits the opposite seems to be true.
Also not all the craftsman kits are of the high priced variety as Fos, Bar Mills and others have many moderately priced kits.
So from my point of view this is the year of the craftsman kits

John Bagley
Modeling the Alaska Railroad in HO in Wildwood Georgia.

Dutchman
Administrator

Premium Member

Posted - 08/27/2004 :  7:37:46 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I agree, Rick, and let me toss another player into the hopper--J.L. Innovative. I have been impressed with the quality and value of their kits. Here is their latest (I think). Anyway, it just showed up at MRPO and for some reason that I just can't explain, I had to have it. BTW, it comes with a number of metal castings--all for the princely sum of $35.00.

Bruce

Modeling the railroads of the Jersey Highlands in HO and the logging railroads of Pennsylvania in HOn3

wrongsideofthetracks
Crew Chief

Posted - 08/27/2004 :  7:56:29 PM  Show Profile  Visit wrongsideofthetracks's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Gee, I really don't know what to buy anymore for my own layout. I already have a pile of kits in the closet collecting dust...oh well, guess I will just add to it. I think I will need a third job before the summer is out so I can afford all that I want to buy. Outstanding selection....now just to figure out what to buy. Karl F.

http://apachemodelworks.blogspot.ca
British Columbia, Canada

Marken
Fireman

Posted - 08/27/2004 :  11:37:06 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
You know, there is a downside to all this properity...

Deciding which ones to buy...

Paying the bill...

It is a great time to be modeling and the kits that have been produced recently or will be are just fantastic. But the prices have also gone up along with the quality of the kits.

Who would ever have considered paying $280.00 for a kit five years ago? Or even $100.00?

Man, my budget was blown when I sent for George's next kit tonight...I just hope the wife doesn't find out

In memory of Mike Chambers

paulbrockatsf
Fireman

Posted - 08/28/2004 :  02:31:15 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote

I agree that this has been a banner year. I personally think it will continue for some years to come. I think as long as we a willing to buy them they will produce them. The technology has improved & the creativeness of the designers seams to know no end. I think the manufactures are giving people exactly what they want. I know the craftsman market is getting a lot of what we like.

So, keep ‘em coming. Who wants to retire anyway when we can keep working to pay for kits!

Paul

MikeC
Administrator

Premium Member

Posted - 08/28/2004 :  09:45:16 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I agree. The offerings seem to just get better and better with every passing year. And it's getting harder and harder for me to choose between them.

As an example, I've been hoarding my pennies for months now, waiting for Brett to release "Foss' 2." But then I saw Karl's newest SCM kit this morning, and ..... Maybe I should give up retirement and go back to work so I could pay for all the kits I want.

Bruce, the "Little Dutch Store" looks a good deal like the structure I have picked for my Challenge 3 project. hmmmm.

Previous Topic: Houligans Alley Topic Next Topic: SW Water Tank and Tool Shed - Need info  
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Jump To:
Railroad Line Forums © 2000-17 Railroad Line Co. Go To Top Of Page
Steam was generated in 0.34 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000