Railroad Line Forums - Weather or not: Discussion, Tips, Techniques
Railroad Line Forums
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register
Forgot Password?
  Home   Forums   Events Calendar   Sponsors   Support the RRLine   Guestbook   FAQ     Register
Active Topics | Active Polls | Resources | Members | Online Users | Live Chat | Avatar Legend | Search | Statistics
Photo Album | File Lister | File Library
[ Active Members: 3 | Anonymous Members: 0 | Guests: 128 ]  [ Total: 131 ]  [ Newest Member: Bigbandito ]
 All Forums
 Model Railroad Forums
 Mike Chambers' Craftsman's Corner
 Weather or not: Discussion, Tips, Techniques
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Author Previous Topic: Quick Tip #6 and #7 Topic Next Topic: Final pics of FSM JS #18 Westside Auto
Page: of 26

Rick
Administrator

Premium Member

Posted - 08/27/2004 :  08:19:20 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks for the answer Mike. And thanks again Marc for posting the pictures and techniques. I will be giving it a try.

Gerry
Engine Wiper

Posted - 08/28/2004 :  12:34:02 AM  Show Profile  Visit Gerry's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by marc_reusser

I still have some from when they came in the original glass marker bottles.

WOW! I'd totally forgotten about those! But now I can picture them in my mind clear as day. What a rush!

Gerry (MMR #346)

MikeC
Administrator

Premium Member

Posted - 08/31/2004 :  9:31:09 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
While working on my Rusty Stumps BWWT kit a while ago, I decided to do a little "dress up" work before moving on to the next step. And I decided to try combining Marc's and Jim's methods of weathering the board ends on the water tank's platform. This is what I came up with.

I held the broad tip of a 40% Warm Gray Prismacolor marker against the ends of the boards and let the ink wick up into the grain of each. It took only a few seconds to occur before moving the marker to the next set of boards.

In looking at the photos, I don't think it's as subtle as what Marc and Jim got, but that could be a function of the lighting also. These photos were shot in pretty dim lighting and the exposure time was about 1.5 seconds for each, so the weathered ends appear to be pretty dark.

I still have nail holes and NBW's to add. Also, I did not distress the board ends. I felt that given their location (decking under a water tower) that they would not be subjected to heavy abuse and splintering (as might happen with decking on a loading dock.)

Dutchman
Administrator

Premium Member

Posted - 08/31/2004 :  9:50:14 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Mike, Marc, & Jim,
This looks like a technique that I will have to try. I am about to scratchbuild a small building, and will give it a shot.

Mic Greenberg
Engine Wiper

Posted - 08/31/2004 :  9:51:03 PM  Show Profile  Visit Mic Greenberg's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Hello all and let me introduce myself. This is Mic Greenberg, modeler of yesteryear and hopefully current participant in many discussions of how-to methods with all of you. I have
been reading with avid interest the comments on "Weathering" and since this is a not unfamiliar subject I thought I would weigh in as well. My first posting in this area has to do with
the speculation on dirt and Diosol. I have used this way of dusting and weathering vehicles and structures to some satisfaction. Here is what I do. First find some really fine and
clinging dusty type dirt. Shift it to even finer consistency if necessary. It should act like this; when you dip your finger in the stuff your finger should be noticeably dusty. Make sure
any surface you want to dust up has had sufficient time for the paint to cure. Cured Floquil paints are impervious to Diosol after a suitable period of time (a week to make sure).
Now you can pour this dirt over the area, shake off the larger particles and what should remain is a dusty object. Then squirt Diosol to saturate the area. Immediately begin drying
with a hairdryer. What happens is a natural and permanent dusty appearance follows. The drying will cause "ringlets" of dust like the way a puddle dries in a parking lot on a hot day.
The following photos may help with this description.

Moderator's Note: Mic, as I said earlier, welcome to RR-L. Glad to see your first posting.

Mic sent me several photos yesterday and today. He's still learning the ins and outs of photo posting, so I'll post one he sent me today. I believe this one is representative of what he's describing above:

Visit my website:
www.micgreenberg.com

ANo10
Fireman

Posted - 08/31/2004 :  10:29:01 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Mike,

Yours is now a lot more subtle than my "weep" weathering. The lower part of the water tank in the top photo is what I was after. The bottom photo is what turned out.

Mic, thanks for the weathering tip for dust and diosol. We will be looking for your participation, tips,and advice.

Jim

MikeC
Administrator

Premium Member

Posted - 08/31/2004 :  10:47:47 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Question for Mic: When you say "squirt" Dio-sol, what do you use? An eyedropper? A Testor's Pipette?

Also, will the "new" Dio-sol work the same as the "old." I still have several ounces of the "old" formula Dio-sol in a can but have never bought the new stuff since Testors bought Floquil a few years ago.

MikeC
Administrator

Premium Member

Posted - 09/01/2004 :  12:00:17 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Jim, in looking at my pictures now, I'm thinking I should have used a Cool Gray marker instead of the Warm. The board ends are too red, I think. I'll have to look at the actual boards tomorrow morning in good light and see what I think then.

It appears to me that yours come pretty close to what you were trying to get. The color seems to match the bottom of the prototype boards in the top photo.

ANo10
Fireman

Posted - 09/01/2004 :  01:07:39 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Mike,

I hope the colors are what you want when you look at them in better light.

Now if I can just match the color of the middle part of the tank. I'll post up a pic tomorrow on the Tank thread...Hope Rusty doesn't get too upset when he ses what I have done to the kit. I think when the other colors are added and the bands are rusted and put on, it will improve the overall effect.

Jim

Edited by - ANo10 on 09/01/2004 01:08:49 AM

n/a
deleted

Posted - 09/01/2004 :  04:04:57 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Mic,

Welcome to the forum....I'm really glad your posting (since basically I was using/describing variations of your techniques for my rusting and dirt/diosol)....Beautiful photo, as your work always is, truely awe inspiring.

Marc

n/a
deleted

Posted - 09/01/2004 :  04:16:54 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I think the wicking is working OK, it does seem to sstop/transition a bit more sharply in some places. Did you use a marker? If your concerned. and you want the transition smoother/subtler, try using/wicking only the solvent/base, that should cause the pigment to thin and wick further up the board, dissapating as it goes (you can also dab some on the boards with a brush if the wicking isn't getting where you want it to heightwise). The other option is to give the entire board a subtle wash of something (ie. silverwood, alc/shoe-dye,etc.)that might help you "tie" it together more to your liking. Try these on a sample first though, to see how it works. Also try multiple thin/light washes/weepings rather than one dark to get it to where you want

Marc

Mic Greenberg
Engine Wiper

Posted - 09/01/2004 :  08:33:53 AM  Show Profile  Visit Mic Greenberg's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Mike. The squirt is from a can called a ValveSpout. This is a conically (sp) shaped red can with knurled brass fittings. The squirt comes when the bottom of the can is pressed. They are still for sale at well supplied art stores (might try Dick Blic (sp)). The Diosol is the old stuff. I had a gallon left over from the 90s. If Diosol is anything like Floquil paints it may act differently under similar conditions.

Visit my website:
www.micgreenberg.com

Hangem Harry
Crew Chief

Posted - 09/01/2004 :  08:47:54 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Mic, Nice to see you aboard!! I have always enjoyed and admired your work.

I am wondering if the Diosol technique would work with a spray bottle? I think it maybe worth a try.

Harry

MikeC
Administrator

Premium Member

Posted - 09/01/2004 :  10:28:14 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Marc and Mic: thanks for the info.

Mic, I've got a Dick Blick catalog somewhere here in my office. When I get a chance, I'll look for the ValveSpout.

Harry, the spray bottle idea sounds interesting, but with Dio-sol I think I'd put on a mask...... before spraying...

------------------------------------

Mic is having some problems with his browser crashing, so he asked me to post these additional photos for him. The weathering and detailing is incredible!

TrevorCreek
Fireman

Posted - 09/01/2004 :  11:28:50 AM  Show Profile  Click to see TrevorCreek's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Mic,

As usual, your work is top notch!!!! Mike, thanks for getting the pics posted.

Frank B

Page: of 26 Previous Topic: Quick Tip #6 and #7 Topic Next Topic: Final pics of FSM JS #18 Westside Auto  
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Previous Page | Next Page
Jump To:
Railroad Line Forums © 2000-19 Railroad Line Co. Go To Top Of Page
Steam was generated in 0.42 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000