Railroad Line Forums - Weather or not: Discussion, Tips, Techniques
Railroad Line Forums
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register
Forgot Password?
  Home   Forums   Events Calendar   Sponsors   Support the RRLine   Guestbook   FAQ     Register
Active Topics | Active Polls | Resources | Members | Online Users | Live Chat | Avatar Legend | Search | Statistics
Photo Album | File Lister | File Library
[ Active Members: 3 | Anonymous Members: 0 | Guests: 95 ]  [ Total: 98 ]  [ Newest Member: jfields ]
 All Forums
 Model Railroad Forums
 Mike Chambers' Craftsman's Corner
 Weather or not: Discussion, Tips, Techniques
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Author Previous Topic: Mike Chambers Wit and Wisdom Topic Next Topic: FOS Rust Rock Falls Kit Build
Page: of 26

mikethetrainman
Fireman

Posted - 05/08/2005 :  10:47:52 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
MikeJ,
I some how missed your question on using dullcoat on Bradgon powders. No I don't use any kind of sealer on there powders. It sticks very well on its own. I been using them since they came out at I think it was the NMRA national in Altanta Ga. when I was still in the old club. Everything got a lot of handling at set up and tear down for shows. I have never had to redo any cars or buildings.

Mike Mace
Northern Division of the Santa Fe

PaulD
Crew Chief

Posted - 05/16/2005 :  8:45:02 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi Gang,
Just thought I'd post a follow up to my weathering postings, this is how the Hoist house turned out, this is the structure the peeled paint effect was added to. One reader was asking if the windows get the same treatment.

I omitted the rafter tails but looking at the photos now, I may elect to put them on. (though they are tiny) As you can see the windows didn't miss out.

PaulD
Crew Chief

Posted - 06/06/2005 :  7:57:16 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hey Gang,
I was expecting some not so nice comments about my Hoist house but to be honest after 3 weeks of posting not to have a comment at all is worse than being rubbished.
Please dump on me all you want.

MikeC
Administrator

Premium Member

Posted - 06/06/2005 :  9:12:10 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Paul, I'm not sure why I missed your post three weeks ago. I also missed one by Mike "Dreamweaver" a few weeks ago. There was a problem with Active Topics displaying in browser windows several months back but I thought it was all cleared up. Maybe not. hmmmmmm.....

Your peeling paint technique is very effective and well used on the hoist house. The overall appearance is very similar to that of some of Bags' structures. I also like the tarpaper on your roof. What did you use for that?

Tabooma County Rwy
Fireman

Posted - 06/06/2005 :  9:13:41 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Paul, your shed looks very realistic...nice job on the peeling paint. It is very convincing. I assume it is the rubber cement method? The roof looks great, too, as does the sign, window, and skids it is sitting on. You obviously have this technique down

PaulD
Crew Chief

Posted - 06/07/2005 :  8:42:24 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Al,
Back on page 15 of this thread I described how I did my peeling paint effect, It's done with terri towelling (or old socks)and a lot easier than the Rubber Cement trick.
Mike,
The tarpaper is nice thick (100gsm) quality paper that came with Shelby's Marine, Brett suggests using Tuscan to color it but I mixed mine, with Grimy black on the hoist house and tuscan on the Roof of the Boat repair, I like the grimy black best. I did try to simulate Seagull Goanno on the ridge with white pastel chalk but ended up washing most of it off with alcohol, I want to get a few gulls and maybe revisit this detail later.
I've tried to post a shot of the Boat Repair but theres still some vbs error at the moment.

Edited by - PaulD on 06/07/2005 11:08:45 PM

smason2
Fireman

Posted - 06/08/2005 :  06:45:11 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi Paul,

Great technique. I'm going back to read exactly how you did it. Very effective!

Scott

mikethetrainman
Fireman

Posted - 06/12/2005 :  12:21:30 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Paul your hoist house looks great . I really like the weathering. It is just right. The hoist house will fit right in on any water front.

Mike Mace
Northern Division of the Santa Fe

Rick
Administrator

Premium Member

Posted - 06/12/2005 :  1:51:39 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Paul, very well done. Really looks like it's been beaten up by the sea and weather for some time.

Edited by - Rick on 06/13/2005 06:24:56 AM

Bbags
Administrator

Premium Member

Posted - 06/12/2005 :  7:16:05 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Paul,
I also missed your post and like the look you have achieved.
I think this will fit in very nicely on your waterfront.
Please if you could start a thread on Shelby's as I stated earlier this is one of my favorite SW kits but was out of production when I started modeling.
That way I will never miss a post again.
Thanks

John Bagley
Modeling the Alaska Railroad in HO in Wildwood Georgia.

PaulD
Crew Chief

Posted - 06/13/2005 :  11:06:13 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
John and all,
Thanks for your comments on my hoist house, John I'm looking at laying out the whole of Shelbys' Marine into a larger area than my original layout and incorporating this into a module. As this happens I will document my final detailing of Shelby's into a thread of it's own. I didn't want to start a thread only to have it wait months for a catch up. In the mean time I've got a shot of the Hoist House just showing through the doorways.
I know the toolshop dock does not touch the awning. Because I doubled up on the baithouse pilings I've run out and need to get some more dowel before finishing the Boathouse dock. I also know the second story balcony is crooked and needs it's roof.

nalmeida
Fireman

Posted - 06/14/2005 :  05:26:32 AM  Show Profile  Visit nalmeida's Homepage  Reply with Quote
It's looking very good but I want bigger pictures :)

RichBeau
Fireman

Posted - 06/14/2005 :  05:49:21 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I have to agree with Nelson (and more of them)

According to your message, it seems that you moved this from a previous layout. What I'm curious about is how you moved the dock it appears to be sitting in "water." I ask because I have one of these (amongst other waterfront kits) and I'd love to build one (even on a diorama) but am not quite sure how I would 'save' it once that is done.

TIA
--Rich

PaulD
Crew Chief

Posted - 06/14/2005 :  6:02:59 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Rich & Nelson,
I probably worded my last email badly, when I said my original layout I meant the grouping of the structure layout, what I meant was the way I set out the buildings didn't work for me, the Boat house needs a siding and my first grouping had the rear of the boathouse almost over the diorama. I didn't put much thought into it as I just wanted a shelby's diorama, now that I'm looking at the whole harbour area I want to re-incorporate Shelby's into a larger more workable arrangement. I never got to pour the `Water'Probably because I always new it would change. Mario has helped me here, I saw a tiny piece of water he had put at the base of one of his Frocks, P. `What is that it looks so real?' M. `Marine varnish, with some acrylic paints under it.' I think I'll go that way as the creep of most `water' products looks so contrived. Sorry the photos are small, after posting BIG pictures everyone cried `Make them smaller'
This isn't a great photo but gives a better idea of what I was getting at. To put a siding where the black foam is, sets my minimum radius back to the mainline pushing my whole diorama to the front of my Harbour module. My intention here is to make another wharf that this siding continues on to without cluttering it all up.

belg
Fireman

Posted - 06/14/2005 :  6:15:58 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Paul, I really like the look of your project but could you post a larger picture so we can see some more detail. These eyes aren't what they used to be!! Dang it, Pat

Page: of 26 Previous Topic: Mike Chambers Wit and Wisdom Topic Next Topic: FOS Rust Rock Falls Kit Build  
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Previous Page | Next Page
Jump To:
Railroad Line Forums © 2000-19 Railroad Line Co. Go To Top Of Page
Steam was generated in 0.78 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000