Railroad Line Forums - Weather or not: Discussion, Tips, Techniques
Railroad Line Forums
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register
Forgot Password?
  Home   Forums   Events Calendar   Sponsors   Support the RRLine   Guestbook   FAQ     Register
Active Topics | Active Polls | Resources | Members | Online Users | Live Chat | Avatar Legend | Search | Statistics
Photo Album | File Lister | File Library
[ Active Members: 2 | Anonymous Members: 0 | Guests: 98 ]  [ Total: 100 ]  [ Newest Member: Bigbandito ]
 All Forums
 Model Railroad Forums
 Mike Chambers' Craftsman's Corner
 Weather or not: Discussion, Tips, Techniques
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Author Previous Topic: Quick Tip #6 and #7 Topic Next Topic: Final pics of FSM JS #18 Westside Auto
Page: of 26

Dreamweaver
Crew Chief

Posted - 04/15/2005 :  4:28:02 PM  Show Profile  Send Dreamweaver a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
OK guys here's a question for all?

I painted this bridge with a 50/50 mix Polyscale roof brown and water for a stain.
now that I've looked through all 15 pages of this thread I realize that this just is'nt going to cut It I need to weather this thing.

So heres what I think im going to try (on scrap wood of course)
I'll stain a piece of scrap the same way then i'll wash that with the indy ink / ammonia and on another I'll try the indy/alc.

How do I mix these I think mike said 8oz bottle full of ammonia/alc. but I did'nt catch the amount of ink?

I also have the other bridge with the polyscale RR-tie brown straight put on with a cotton swab I'll also do an trial with that.

Am I on the right track, Is there something I missed?

also I'm going to but gussets on the big bridge made out of 1/15th clear styrene my plan was to spray them black then mist them with rust(all polyscale) but after reading this tread once again this just won't do. how would I go about doing these gussets I want a painted black but surfice rusted over the years look.

Edited by - Dreamweaver on 04/17/2005 07:34:43 AM

Dreamweaver
Crew Chief

Posted - 04/17/2005 :  07:29:08 AM  Show Profile  Send Dreamweaver a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
How's this for a starter, I know it's not a scratch built building or the like BUT it's the first loco I've got and It's the first real weathering I've done. I like it.

Before and after. the other one will look simular(boy I really need spell check on this) tomarrow.

I like these Kato's I had them out at our club Friday after I got them and was pulling 60 cars, about half of witch are scale weight, around with out even braking traction once and our max grade is 3% it didn't even slow down.

MikeC
Administrator

Premium Member

Posted - 04/17/2005 :  12:17:23 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Dreamweaver

How do I mix these I think mike said 8oz bottle full of ammonia/alc. but I did'nt catch the amount of ink?

also I'm going to but gussets on the big bridge made out of 1/15th clear styrene my plan was to spray them black then mist them with rust(all polyscale) but after reading this tread once again this just won't do. how would I go about doing these gussets I want a painted black but surfice rusted over the years look.

Mike, here's some of the info I posted about my experiments with ammonia and black leather dye:

In brief, I poured approx. 8 oz. of ammonia into an empty jar. To that, I added approx. 3/4 oz. of Kiwi Black Leather Dye. (Truthfully, I didn't measure anything... just kind of guesstimated. ) After capping the jar and shaking the mixture thoroughly, I brushed the smelly stuff over the frame assembly.

I don't think this is going to work for what you're wanting to do with your bridge, however. I'm guessing it will darken the wood even more, without showing signs of weathering. If your goal is to lighten the wood, you might try carefully brushing some bleach or peroxide on the wood. I don't know if it will work, so you should experiment with some stripwood first.

To get the appearance you're looking for on the gussets, you might try Teejay's method for "rusting" steel. He posted a mini-tutorial on page 2 of this thread. And there's also Mic Greenberg's method, which involves using rubber cement as a resist.

The weathering on your loco looks good. Nice work.

Dreamweaver
Crew Chief

Posted - 04/17/2005 :  1:28:43 PM  Show Profile  Send Dreamweaver a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
Thanks mike I'll check out the toutorial and give it a try.

mikethetrainman
Fireman

Posted - 04/17/2005 :  8:42:35 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
MikeJ,
You might try using the Bragdon Weathering powders on the bridge. Here is a link to their web site. http://www.bragdonent.com/weather.htm It is a great product and they have all kinds of colors.

Here is a picture of a bridge that I used them on. Its not from the best angle.

Here is another bridge that I weathered with the Bragdon powders. The bridge is on the modules I built for a club I use to be in.

I hope this helps or gives you an idea or two.

Mike Mace
Northern Division of the Santa Fe

Edited by - mikethetrainman on 04/17/2005 9:02:08 PM

RodH
Engine Wiper

Posted - 04/17/2005 :  9:23:13 PM  Show Profile  Visit RodH's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by mikethetrainman

MikeJ,
I hope this helps or gives you an idea or two.

Mike, I was intrested in the Bar & Grill in the lower picture. Can you give tell me how you completed the paintwork and weathering on that project .

Rod Hutchinson
Growing Old Disgracefully
Australia

mikethetrainman
Fireman

Posted - 04/17/2005 :  9:59:13 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Rod,
The best I can remember its been at least 5 years or better since I built JK's. I painted it with Floquil Tuscan (old). After it dried for about a week I made a thin wash with Sp Lettering Gray. After that dried I went over everything with A/I wash. I also dusted on some powdered charcoal on the lower part of the walls. The signs were some of my early work with the computer.

Mike Mace
Northern Division of the Santa Fe

Dreamweaver
Crew Chief

Posted - 04/18/2005 :  01:38:57 AM  Show Profile  Send Dreamweaver a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
Thanks mike I just checked out there web site I will try some.

Dreamweaver
Crew Chief

Posted - 04/25/2005 :  01:59:33 AM  Show Profile  Send Dreamweaver a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
You guys were interseted in pictures of the layout
I have just gotten a web site and there are pictures posted there!! drop by and see

www.dreamweavertrains.com

RodH
Engine Wiper

Posted - 05/03/2005 :  7:56:14 PM  Show Profile  Visit RodH's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Washes

Can you describe the difference between painting and using washes. How thin is a wash?

Rod Hutchinson
Growing Old Disgracefully
Australia

Dreamweaver
Crew Chief

Posted - 05/06/2005 :  12:22:00 AM  Show Profile  Send Dreamweaver a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
Mike as to the powders you told me about above, do you have to dullcoat over them or not

And to ALL:
I recently weathered some intermodal wellcars with chalk and I put some rust colored chalk on the inside of them but when I dullcoated them the lighter chalk went bye-bye. is there a way around this???

Before

After

MikeC
Administrator

Premium Member

Posted - 05/06/2005 :  10:10:42 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:

And to ALL:
I recently weathered some intermodal wellcars with chalk and I put some rust colored chalk on the inside of them but when I dullcoated them the lighter chalk went bye-bye. is there a way around this???

Mike, you're doing a really nice job of weathering. The rust looks "right."

As for the disappearing chalk, there is no work-around (that I know of) to stop Dullcote from dissolving chalk powder. I always add the chalk weathering after I've Dullcoted something. It's usually the last step anyway, so the model doesn't get handled much after that, and the chalk stays in place.

I don't know about the Bragdon powders and Dullcote. Maybe someone else has tried that combo.

Rick
Administrator

Premium Member

Posted - 05/06/2005 :  11:18:47 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I've never used Dullcote over the Bragdon powders. They have an adhesive mixed into the powder. The more you work the powder onto whatever your weathering the better it sticks.

As far as Dullcote over chalks I remember reading that if you use a clear matte finish it doesn't cause the chalk to disappear. I think Krylon is one of the brands mentioned and is available at most arts and crafts stores.

Dreamweaver
Crew Chief

Posted - 05/08/2005 :  04:18:32 AM  Show Profile  Send Dreamweaver a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
Mike And Rick
Thanks for the info!

Mike if you put the chalk on after the dulcoat then it will rub off eventually right?

MikeC
Administrator

Premium Member

Posted - 05/08/2005 :  10:08:59 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:

Mike if you put the chalk on after the dulcoat then it will rub off eventually right?

Probably, if the item gets handled enough or is handled "roughly." With structures that's never a concern for me. With my rolling stock (the work train cars, for example) I'm very careful about how I pick them up when I do need to move them. So far I've never needed to replace any chalk - or at least I've never noticed any that needs replacing.

Page: of 26 Previous Topic: Quick Tip #6 and #7 Topic Next Topic: Final pics of FSM JS #18 Westside Auto  
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Previous Page | Next Page
Jump To:
Railroad Line Forums © 2000-19 Railroad Line Co. Go To Top Of Page
Steam was generated in 0.5 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000