Railroad Line Forums - Weather or not: Discussion, Tips, Techniques
Railroad Line Forums
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register
Forgot Password?
  Home   Forums   Events Calendar   Sponsors   Support the RRLine   Guestbook   FAQ     Register
Active Topics | Active Polls | Resources | Members | Online Users | Live Chat | Avatar Legend | Search | Statistics
Photo Album | File Lister | File Library
[ Active Members: 1 | Anonymous Members: 0 | Guests: 96 ]  [ Total: 97 ]  [ Newest Member: Bigbandito ]
 All Forums
 Model Railroad Forums
 Mike Chambers' Craftsman's Corner
 Weather or not: Discussion, Tips, Techniques
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Author Previous Topic: Quick Tip #6 and #7 Topic Next Topic: Final pics of FSM JS #18 Westside Auto
Page: of 26

n/a
deleted

Posted - 10/31/2004 :  5:05:01 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Been away for a bit, but had some time to play in the "lab"....thought I'd share these for anyone interested......have been trying to get that look of old worn-off, wind-blown,weather-beaten painted siding that one see's on old abandoned farm/agricultural buildings (especially here in California).....below are three photos of my results/effort so far....still a ways to go

Marc

belg
Fireman

Posted - 10/31/2004 :  5:09:32 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Marc is this still the tempra powder/paint? I like the faded look of it, as it would be if no one whitewashe it in years. Pat

n/a
deleted

Posted - 10/31/2004 :  5:13:19 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Pat,

No, this is actually Floquil "Reefer White", and water.

BTW...I havent forgotten the tree...it's still sitting here in the box...will get it out next week.

Marc

belg
Fireman

Posted - 10/31/2004 :  6:52:03 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Marc how do you work with Floquil and water?? Aren't all floquils paints solvent based?

Thanks for remembering about the tree I'll be looking forward to seeing it?Pat

n/a
deleted

Posted - 10/31/2004 :  7:02:23 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Pat,

I can't give too much away, as I will be working this up as an article, but you are correct. The basic premise is that the water acts as a "resist" to the full strength Floquil....and thus allows you to work with it for a period if time without having the heavy coloring "pigments" absorb too quickly into the woood...it also allows for removal/checking of the paint through various methods.

Marc

Marc

postalkarl
Fireman

Posted - 11/01/2004 :  12:05:41 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Marc:

I like the bottom photo. How did you get that affect? Looks kinda like the terry cloth method by Jim Mooney. Check out my photos of Tylick Tool under Tylick Tool Construction thread.

Karl S

n/a
deleted

Posted - 11/01/2004 :  05:59:44 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Karl,

I like your Tylick Tool building. Very nice.

The paint here was actually painted on over the entire wall with a brush and then removed with a couple of methods, as oposed to being dabbed on with the terry-cloth.

Sorry, I cant say more at the moment...

Marc

Rick
Administrator

Premium Member

Posted - 11/01/2004 :  07:57:56 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I like the results you are able to achieve too. What magazine will your article be in?

n/a
deleted

Posted - 11/01/2004 :  4:15:36 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Rick,

Thanks

Talking to two publications, which one will depend on when I can get this thing done, and whether to do the shack only, or wait and do the entire diorama. I am building this as part of a doirama which is experiencing serious "mission creep"....it started as an 8x18....then grew to 12x18...and now it looks as if it will be closer to 12x26. I tend not to really plan out my dioramas. I start with a basic concept, and then let it grow and evolve, as the scene dictates.....I like to think of it as being somewhat like a place would evolve/change in real life (although my wife calls it poor planning ). The way it looks now, the whole diorama will take somewhere between 6 months to a year to do. It will contain the shack, a water tower, pump house, billboard, two lane country black-top, 3 railcars and a loco on an abandoned siding.....plus all the necessary assorted ancilary details and scrap. The most time consuming/frustrating thing though might be the barb wire fencing that I am planning on hand-tying from thin wire strands.

Marc

danpickard
Fireman

Posted - 11/13/2004 :  6:04:44 PM  Show Profile  Visit danpickard's Homepage  Reply with Quote
sounds like one busy little diorama Marc, cant wait for the pics to follow. Hand tied barb wire...the man has lost his marbles!!! Although, once again...cant wait to see the fence now.

Dan Pickard

http://www.austnarrowgaugeconvention.com/

Wally
Engine Wiper

Posted - 11/20/2004 :  5:49:34 PM  Show Profile  Visit Wally's Homepage  Send Wally an AOL message  Send Wally an ICQ Message  Click to see Wally's MSN Messenger address  Send Wally a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
Ok Guys:

Tell me how you do it...

My gut told me that earth was too light for real wood so against advise and wise counsel I made them darker with Roof & Rail Brown. This of course was too dark when I actually got to look at them in place. So I lightened them up with an earth wash. Now I have muddy dark things. So I decided to try and rust out the metal on the barrels and boxes with some orangey chalks which of course left my boxes and barrels having rusty wood too since even with the tinest detail brush my aim hit more wood than metal. My greatest fear is that in time I'm going to be so blind that I can't hit bigger things like the john. Oh well!!!

The bottom line is....How do you approach painting and weathering castings? And is there a secret to coloring within the lines, "I know a larger scale"?
Thanks

Wally
It's not my job to run the train, the whistle I can't blow, I'm not allowed to say how fast the train should go,I'm not allowed to blow off steam, nor even ring the bell, but let the gosh darn thing jump the tracks and see who catches...

Edited by - Wally on 11/20/2004 5:52:10 PM

Darryl L Huffman
Engine Wiper

Posted - 11/20/2004 :  5:57:23 PM  Show Profile  Visit Darryl L Huffman's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Marc,

I have always done barbed wire by buying a small piece of bridal veil mesh and simply (HA!) cutting along each side of one thread. This leaves great barbs along that single thread.

Wally
Engine Wiper

Posted - 11/20/2004 :  6:31:32 PM  Show Profile  Visit Wally's Homepage  Send Wally an AOL message  Send Wally an ICQ Message  Click to see Wally's MSN Messenger address  Send Wally a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
Another question...
I decided to temporarily tack my RRC to the base instead of gluing the flooring down so it could be rearranged on the layout at some future time. I have now tried double stick tape to no avail since the ground cover on my base sticks to the tape and renders it useless. Anybody got any suggestions for a temporary glue to tack things down with?

Wally
It's not my job to run the train, the whistle I can't blow, I'm not allowed to say how fast the train should go,I'm not allowed to blow off steam, nor even ring the bell, but let the gosh darn thing jump the tracks and see who catches...

Bbags
Administrator

Premium Member

Posted - 11/20/2004 :  8:29:44 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Wally

Another question...
I decided to temporarily tack my RRC to the base instead of gluing the flooring down so it could be rearranged on the layout at some future time. I have now tried double stick tape to no avail since the ground cover on my base sticks to the tape and renders it useless. Anybody got any suggestions for a temporary glue to tack things down with?

Wally why glue the structures down to the base at all.
In the 4 dioramas I have completed all I did was let the structures sit there and the only glue applied was to the ground foam surrounding them.
When I moved recently I was able to remove each structure from the diorama and pack it individually and they all survived the move with no damage.
If I decide to use the same placement again I have bare spots where the structures were and can set it up again exactly as it was before.
If I decide to change the scene I just have to redo the diorama base which then can be set on the benchwork.
I would rather replace ground foam than have to build another structure.

John Bagley
Modeling the Alaska Railroad in HO in Wildwood Georgia.

MikeC
Administrator

Premium Member

Posted - 11/20/2004 :  10:33:18 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Bbags

[I would rather replace ground foam than have to build another structure.

AMEN, John! Been there, done that.

Page: of 26 Previous Topic: Quick Tip #6 and #7 Topic Next Topic: Final pics of FSM JS #18 Westside Auto  
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Previous Page | Next Page
Jump To:
Railroad Line Forums © 2000-19 Railroad Line Co. Go To Top Of Page
Steam was generated in 0.97 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000