Railroad Line Forums - Waterfront Willy's construction thread
Railroad Line Forums
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register
Forgot Password?
  Home   Forums   Events Calendar   Sponsors   Support the RRLine   Guestbook   FAQ     Register
Active Topics | Active Polls | Resources | Members | Online Users | Live Chat | Avatar Legend | Search | Statistics
Photo Album | File Lister | File Library
[ Active Members: 10 | Anonymous Members: 0 | Guests: 63 ]  [ Total: 73 ]  [ Newest Member: Faire to Midland ]
 All Forums
 Model Railroad Forums
 Mike Chambers' Craftsman's Corner
 Waterfront Willy's construction thread
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Author Previous Topic: Peel and Stick HO shingles / shakes Topic Next Topic: The Department of Docks
Page: of 7

frankeva
Engine Wiper

Posted - 12/14/2006 :  12:11:05 PM  Show Profile  Visit frankeva's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by NBandS
Second, I used Micro-Set as I routinely do on decals. It partially dissolved the sealer and caused the color to run--fortunately I had made spare decals. Is there a fix other than not to use setting solution?

Did you use the Bonder spray after printing?

NBandS
Section Hand

Premium Member

Posted - 12/14/2006 :  12:34:37 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Yes, used the spray--that's what I meant by "sealer."

My impression is that the home-made decals are significantly thicker than the commercial ones. I started with the "package directions" for soaking them, but they didn't release from the backing until I used more than double the recommended soak time. (Same thing happened with two sheets of decal paper from different purchases, so I think it's generic rather than being one old sheet.)

UKGuy
Fireman

Posted - 12/22/2006 :  11:37:54 PM  Show Profile  Visit UKGuy's Homepage  Send UKGuy a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
Great pictures, amazing what can be done with a simple kit and the various outcomes.

I just built mine as per the instructions in the box about three or four weeks ago. This was my first wood kit and I enjoyed it greatly, so I went out and bought another Bar Mills kit which I am currently working on. I keep visiting the Sierra West site but its alot of money to ruin...

The water needs to be rippled and maybe some more details added but I couldnt resist taking a few pics as it was.

Karl.

Bbags
Administrator

Premium Member

Posted - 12/22/2006 :  11:51:49 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Karl,
Very nice model you have done there.
How did you make those excellent trees.

As for a Sierra West kit I would highly recommend one as there are many construction threads here on the forum to guide you through the construction.

Foss' Landing if you want to stick with the waterfront and also Railroad Camp which Elliott is busy working on now as well as Quincy Salvage which many has done just to name a few.
I guarantee you will get many hours of excitement building one of Brett's kits.

John Bagley
Modeling the Alaska Railroad in HO in Wildwood Georgia.

Bbags
Administrator

Premium Member

Posted - 12/23/2006 :  12:05:05 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Karl,
If you read this I sent you an e-mail about how I tried to edit a post on your question about roofs and deleted the topic by accident.
Could you please repost your question about the roof on Whistlestop.

Thanks and I am so sorry.

John Bagley
Modeling the Alaska Railroad in HO in Wildwood Georgia.

Comstock Carshops
Engine Wiper

Posted - 12/23/2006 :  12:51:19 AM  Show Profile  Visit Comstock Carshops's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Hi all, that is a nice looking kit! If I may ask, while we are on the topic of waterfronts. I am working on a new waterline boat kit, but not sure if it would fit into this era? Your input would be most helpfull. I can post a pix of the actual model, but I can't figure out how to add it to the post? Rick

Rick
Administrator

Premium Member

Posted - 12/23/2006 :  06:12:34 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Karl, good looking diorama. Not only did the structure turn out well, but your scenery looks great too. I too would like to know more about your trees.

I wouldn't worry about ruining a Sierra West kit. They come with very good instructions and you have already demonstrated that you have the skills to do the kit justice.

Edited by - Rick on 12/23/2006 06:16:47 AM

Rick
Administrator

Premium Member

Posted - 12/23/2006 :  06:14:48 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Rick, this URL will take you the topic on posting pictures: http://www.railroad-line.com/forum/topic.asp?ARCHIVE=true&TOPIC_ID=4761

If you need any more help just ask.

jaynjay
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 12/23/2006 :  06:42:39 AM  Show Profile  Visit jaynjay's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Karl,
Very nice work for your first wood kit. You've sparked my interest in Waterfront Willys. I looked at Artie's website but couldn't find any dimensions on the kit. Could you tell how high can the wharf can be above the base?

John

Dutchman
Administrator

Premium Member

Posted - 12/23/2006 :  09:20:20 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Karl,

Great job on Willy's. I agree with John, those trees look terrific!

ETinBH
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 12/23/2006 :  09:39:20 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Way to go, Karl - very nice work and a good idea for an alternative setting for the kit.

Elliott

RichBeau
Fireman

Posted - 12/23/2006 :  09:47:11 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Nice job Karl.
It's always nice to see a new perspective on an old standby.
And welcome to the forum!
--Rich B.

Jim Mooney
Crew Chief

Posted - 12/23/2006 :  09:52:34 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Ruin a Sierra West kit? I think your well on your way! Nicely done.

Jim T
Fireman

Posted - 12/23/2006 :  11:26:53 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Great job, Karl. Makes me want to do some kind of waterfront scene. There's certainly enough great waterfront buildings available now to do that.

Jim

Comstock Carshops
Engine Wiper

Posted - 12/23/2006 :  11:58:10 AM  Show Profile  Visit Comstock Carshops's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Rick, thanx for the info link, hopefully I won't blow posting the photo. On the topic of waterfronts. I am working on a new HO waterline boat kit, but not sure if it would fit into this era? Your input would be most helpfull.

Page: of 7 Previous Topic: Peel and Stick HO shingles / shakes Topic Next Topic: The Department of Docks  
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Previous Page | Next Page
Jump To:
Railroad Line Forums © 2000-19 Railroad Line Co. Go To Top Of Page
Steam was generated in 0.61 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000