Railroad Line Forums - Waterfront Willy's construction thread
Railroad Line Forums
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register
Forgot Password?
  Home   Forums   Events Calendar   Sponsors   Support the RRLine   Guestbook   FAQ     Register
Active Topics | Active Polls | Resources | Members | Online Users | Live Chat | Avatar Legend | Search | Statistics
Photo Album | File Lister | File Library
[ Active Members: 11 | Anonymous Members: 0 | Guests: 89 ]  [ Total: 100 ]  [ Newest Member: dtrocket ]
 All Forums
 Model Railroad Forums
 Mike Chambers' Craftsman's Corner
 Waterfront Willy's construction thread
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Author Previous Topic: Peel and Stick HO shingles / shakes Topic Next Topic: The Department of Docks
Page: of 7

paulbrockatsf
Fireman

Posted - 07/18/2004 :  03:02:18 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote

Larry,

The link to the Foss' Landing Construction "Project" is: http://www.railroad-line.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=3679

Paul

LLayton
Section Hand

Posted - 07/18/2004 :  04:29:57 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Paul,

Thank you, I really appreicate the comments and questions too.

1) The color combo of the main buildings: It started out as Min-Wax stained, and I've forgotten the color names that I used. I was so unhappy with the Min-Wax stains, that after seeing the results, I quickly gave them away to a friend. I believe the main building was "Cherry" stain, the side building was "Colonial Pine" upper wall, "Walnut" lower wall. After a few days the stain was still oily and waxy to the feel, and looked pretty horrible. I then tried to remove the stain, using mineral spirits ... and then a wire brush .... plus lots of cussing .... none of which helped, and actually made things look worse. I was this close |<- 1mm ->| to smashing this kit to bits, because the paint job looked so horrible. But I'm a glutton for punishment.

I finally ended up painted the main building with Floquil Rust, which after a few washing of weathering alcohol/ink, it washed off (probably because of the Min-Wax stain/sealant from hell underneath, hehe). The strip-wood was done with Min-Wax "Colonial Pine" also, which I scrubbed to dickens with a wire brush. I'm still not happy with the paint/stain job, but I ran out of ideas to solve the problem, so I just assembled the dang thing finally, and figured I learned a few lessons along the way.

2) The castings: Another long story, and another lesson learned. I read somewhere about using "Blacken-It" on the castings, because it helps the paint stick better to the castings. This was my 1st attempt at using "Blacken-It", and it didn't go very well. After using "Blacken-It" the casting did look pretty neat (kinda crusty black/brownish), but I had a nightmare trying to paint them. Not matter what color I painted the castings, the color turned black, because the paint was somehow mixing with the black residue covering the castings. True to my consistant nature of screwing things up, but never saying DIE (lol) ... I soaked the casting overnite in Dio-sol, then scrubbed the heck out of them .... and somehow they actually looked even better now, the black residue was gone and they now had a very slight "texture" to them, which I guess was due to blacken-it acid-pitting them? Anyways, I then painted all casting with Floquil Earth, let them dry for a few days, then painted them with assorted Floquil colors. The flour sacks = Floquil Antique White, and of course the old Alcohol/Ink weathering.

3) I only used the 2 buildings (main building + small shed) from the actual kit. I originally planned to use the kit's foundation and pilings, but after assembling the 2 main buildings, I soon realized they didn't fit in the laser-cut foundation (the laser-cut openings where almost 1/4" off). I'm not really sure if the kit was incorrectly cut, or if I just messed up somewhere in assembly (if you've read this far along, your probably betting I messed up, hehe). The kit's supplied foundation/decking was to small, and way to flimzy to my likings, so I scratchbuilt the complete foundation/decking and pilings. I added alot of extra pilings, and used my wifes sewing thread to wrap them (I'm hoping it looks like rope). If you ever want to tread on the fringes of insanity, try making thread stick to a wooden dowel using super-glue, while wrapping it around the dowel a few times. I think I actually got MORE super-glue on my fingers then I did on the dowel.

4) Color: It does look a bit more colorful in real-life. I'm a total newbie at photography, and those were my first few shots with my new digital camera. I think the problem was ...... user error. I was itch'n to get some pictures fast, so I just used my overhead hobby-light, and default camera settings (no flash, that took me awhile to figure out). One GREAT things about photographs, it allowed me to reflect on the model, and I realized indeed that I need more colorful signs, colorful details, and whooooa ... I didn't put any people on the model. I'm going to work on this model more, and try to liven things up a bit. Thank you for the suggestion!

5) Crane = Hmm, I'm stumped, I forgot where I got it. A lot of my detail parts are from the late 70's (I started modeling in 1975 when I was 18 years old, but took a long 20 year break after getting married, and still married to the same wonderful lady - she's watching me type this, hehe). I think the crane was from SSI, or maybe Selley Finishing Touches. The large wooden cart is a laser-cut kit from Model Railways (division of Model Expo). The smaller cart (under the crane) is from Selley.

6) Detail parts: I didn't like some of the kit's castings, due to lack of detail, and some due to casting defects (which made them look pretty funky). For the most part (barrels, pallets, fan/blower on roof, power meter, carts, etc) I used castings from my old stock-pile, which were purchased seperately from the kit. I must say that some of the kit's castings were really cool too! I really like Bar Mill's tall lamp-pole and lobster castings.

Okay, nows the time where I'm supposed to say how much I enjoyed building this kit. Actually, it was a hair-pulling experience! But I'm glad I built the kit, because it really help me learn alot about model building. I've since built 2 more kits (Master Creations: Bodines & MaCabe Engine Facility), and I feel I did a much better job on them, because of what I learned with Willy's.

Since I'm writting a book here (hehe), I also want to say THANK YOU to everybody here at Railroad-Line. You guys probably haven't realized this, but your a WONDERFUL source of information and inspiration for me. Thank you very much.

EDIT: Thanks Paul for the link, I'm gona go check it out now.

-Larry

Edited by - LLayton on 07/18/2004 04:37:56 AM

paulbrockatsf
Fireman

Posted - 07/18/2004 :  8:59:54 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote

Larry,

It sound like you had a time with this kit. It did turn out good. Plus it gave you an interesting story to tell. Thanks for answering my questions. I like your pier better than the one with the kit.

Since you are doing some wood craftsman kits, I want to recommend SierraWest Scale Models. Their link is http://www.sierrawestscalemodels.com/

If you can find something that you like & can use, they have some of the best kits around. Great castings & the instructions are like going through a mini clinic. I learn something every time I build one of his kits.

Also a tip I learned from Karl Osolinski & others is to write down this techniques I learn, tips I have gotten, colors of paint I use, etc, ect, ect. Karl uses 3x5 cards. Others use a small notebook. I was able to go through Karl’s cards one time & there was a wealth of info there. When I had a question, he would check his cards for reference. I tend to forget if I do not write it down.

Paul

ETinBH
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 07/18/2004 :  10:13:55 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hey, Larry. Thanks again for the esteem. I do not deserve it.

You have a very nice model there. I could spend two paragraphs praising your work. But, in the interest of brevity, I suggest you look at it as a thriving business and continue to model it in that context. Colors , Action, and the other things come with your imagination. Let it go and you will finish what is at this point a class A project. All it needs is filling up and that is the action. That is just my opinion. Respectfully,
Elliott

Elliott

Will Robinson
Section Hand

Posted - 07/18/2004 :  11:10:32 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi Larry,
I like the model as well. I really like the details you added. Also thanks for the kind words. I'm a newbie to the wood kits but the works and information provided by some of these great modelers has got me hooked on them.
I'm looking forward to your progess on your first diorama with Willy's. Keep posting pics. It will help me with mine. I'm also working on Construction Project3(but I find myself coming back to the Waterfront...)
Will

Dutchman
Administrator

Premium Member

Posted - 07/19/2004 :  07:57:39 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Larry,
You have built a model that I would love to have on my layout. Nicely done! Congratulations for working through all the roadblocks you described.

Bruce

Rick
Administrator

Premium Member

Posted - 07/19/2004 :  08:25:30 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Larry, I think you did a wonderful job on this kit. Lots of good details. Thanks for the pictures and for writing up all the experiances you encountered while building it.

I have used the Min-Wax stains on two Mic ro-Scale kits, but did not have the same problems you had. I did't however use it on any walls only on the trim. Maybe that's the difference. I have also used the stain on plaster castings of barrels and crates and liked the results. I have pictures posted in the challenge 2 thread that shows a kit I used the stain on.

paulbrockatsf
Fireman

Posted - 07/19/2004 :  3:10:58 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote

Larry,

I think your thread looks like rope. As I have already said, I like your dock. How did you build it, especially the wood deck?

Paul

hohon3
New Hire

Posted - 12/04/2006 :  7:44:01 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Your post reminded me of gold mine of a find I made by accident. Have you ever been in a "fly fishing" store? They have scenery materials twice as good and at half the prices of any model hobby shop I've been in recently. If you have an opportunity to stick your head into one of these stores, don't pass it up. They also have a selection of specialty tools that are ideal for some of the things we try to 'handle' when building our models.

George
inSLO

[/quote]

Tim Kerkhoff
Fireman

Posted - 12/04/2006 :  7:53:26 PM  Show Profile  Send Tim Kerkhoff a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
Elliott,

First time I have seen this thread, great structure and very nice build. Pigeons everywhere!

So you are the one that got these guys building waterfronts.

NBandS
Section Hand

Premium Member

Posted - 12/08/2006 :  12:22:15 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Interesting to see some comments here after such a long hiatus.
I have just finished construction of Willy's--at least, as far as I can go without having the layout to fit the pilings. I found this thread to be extremely helpful--thanks again to all who contributed!

ETinBH
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 12/08/2006 :  12:50:53 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Tim-still one of my favorite modifications of a Bar Mills kit. Thanks, but I think these guys were messing around with waterfronts and I just happened by.You're welcome, Bill, if you are referring to my build.

Elliott

Mike Hamer
Engineer

Posted - 12/08/2006 :  4:05:17 PM  Show Profile  Visit Mike Hamer's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Elliott, This is my first visit to the thread and I'm once again blown away by the extreme high quality level of the modelling you do! Like MikeC said, you never can have enough pigeons! Fantastic diorama!

Mike Hamer
Ottawa, Ontario, Canada
http://www.bostonandmaine.blogspot.ca
http://www.craftsmanstructures.blogspot.ca
http://modelrailroadsivisit.blogspot.ca

NBandS
Section Hand

Premium Member

Posted - 12/13/2006 :  3:51:05 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Elliott--
Yes, that's the one--this being my first craftsman kit, I needed all the help I could get!

I noted your custom signs. Don't know if they were decals or paper, but I made custom decals using the Testors system. I had two issues with the decals and am seeking enlightenment from anyone who would care to chime in.

First, I used color-with-a-knockout on white decal paper to get a sign with white lettering. After cutting and applying the decal the color portion shrank just enough to leave a hairline of white around the solid colored sign. Since the same thing happened with different sheets of decal paper, I fear it is a general problem. One might avoid this by painting the white background onto the structure and making the knockout decal on clear decal paper--is there a better way?

Second, I used Micro-Set as I routinely do on decals. It partially dissolved the sealer and caused the color to run--fortunately I had made spare decals. Is there a fix other than not to use setting solution?

ETinBH
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 12/13/2006 :  5:38:38 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The signs are printed on good quality printer paper, then sand the daylights out of the back till you could almost read the sign clearly, cut it out with a SHARP exacto, and glued it to the backing with gluestick. A little aging, sometimes a wash of lite A&E and there you go. I am not an advocate of decals, period, as all that stuff you discribe happens to me, too. Actually creating the signs in the computer is a completely different story.

Elliott

Page: of 7 Previous Topic: Peel and Stick HO shingles / shakes Topic Next Topic: The Department of Docks  
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Previous Page | Next Page
Jump To:
Railroad Line Forums © 2000-19 Railroad Line Co. Go To Top Of Page
Steam was generated in 0.77 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000