Railroad Line Forums - Cockeyed building
Railroad Line Forums
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register
Forgot Password?
  Home   Forums   Events Calendar   Sponsors   Support the RRLine   Guestbook   FAQ     Register
Active Topics | Active Polls | Resources | Members | Online Users | Live Chat | Avatar Legend | Search | Statistics
Photo Album | File Lister | File Library
[ Active Members: 3 | Anonymous Members: 0 | Guests: 100 ]  [ Total: 103 ]  [ Newest Member: CNR 6218 ]
 All Forums
 Model Railroad Forums
 Mike Chambers' Craftsman's Corner
 Cockeyed building
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Author Previous Topic: Update Arcadia Granite O Scale Topic Next Topic: Jeb structure kit
Page: of 11

ETinBH
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 03/02/2007 :  7:39:50 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I think this is fantastic and right on spot!

Elliott

UKGuy
Fireman

Posted - 03/03/2007 :  02:22:56 AM  Show Profile  Visit UKGuy's Homepage  Send UKGuy a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
Thanks for all the encouragement greatly appreciated !!

Well I didnt get any big things accomplished tonight as hoped for

I did however make another window and door , for the freezer side of the building.

The window colour needs adjusting, probably with some grey, and the door needs a little more work to tidy the joints up. Its these little projects that make me start thinking about 'G' Scale

Take care
Karl.A

Edited by - UKGuy on 03/03/2007 02:24:32 AM

Dutchman
Administrator

Premium Member

Posted - 03/03/2007 :  06:59:05 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Boy, Karl, when you say that you are going to model a building, you do it right down to the same shaped break in a single window!

Great job scratchbuiiding the windows and doors.

Bruce

ETinBH
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 03/03/2007 :  09:44:55 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Wait - I think you missed a nick in the paint on the left center. . . . . . .

Elliott

jkristia
Engine Wiper

Premium Member

Posted - 03/03/2007 :  10:17:49 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
looks great. How did you paint the walls ?

Jesper

UKGuy
Fireman

Posted - 03/04/2007 :  12:40:56 AM  Show Profile  Visit UKGuy's Homepage  Send UKGuy a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
Jesper,

the walls were first painted with two coats of thinned white craft paint. Then when dry Alcohol/india ink was applied to get a grey look. Sorry I didnt take any pics of the walls in progress but here is one of another scratch I'm doing, the walls will have this colour more or less.

Then I used the terry cloth method to dab on the white paint. As you can see from the scrap at the bottom of the walls I dabbed off some paint before applying to the actual wall area.

I made up the colour in 3 or four layers as necessary to try and prevent any pattern showing and also variety. I also tried to add more paint to the top of the walls where the paint would be protected from the elements by the eaves and thus appear less weathered.

Hope that helps
Karl.A

Edited by - UKGuy on 03/04/2007 12:45:03 AM

jkristia
Engine Wiper

Premium Member

Posted - 03/04/2007 :  09:45:12 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
thank you Karl, it was very helpful. I have read about the terry clothe method other places, but I haven't tried it yet. What you have there sure looks like the real thing.

Jesper

UKGuy
Fireman

Posted - 03/14/2007 :  4:32:22 PM  Show Profile  Visit UKGuy's Homepage  Send UKGuy a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
Well, all the walls are now done, I guess I should go to work for a couple of hours while the glue dries and then I can put on the roofs and the corner trim on the walls this evening.

Regards
Karl.A

wvrr
Fireman

Posted - 03/14/2007 :  4:43:50 PM  Show Profile  Visit wvrr's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Karl,

Its nice to see this unusual building get built as a model! You're doing a nice job with it.

Chuck

Dutchman
Administrator

Premium Member

Posted - 03/14/2007 :  6:10:37 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Karl, it is really looking great! I can't wait to see the roofs take form.

Bruce

ETinBH
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 03/14/2007 :  10:03:57 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Ready to bring it togehether it would appeat and a darn good job

Elliott

Tim Kerkhoff
Fireman

Posted - 03/14/2007 :  10:25:51 PM  Show Profile  Send Tim Kerkhoff a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
Great work Karl,

Bbags
Administrator

Premium Member

Posted - 03/14/2007 :  10:46:40 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
It looks as if the 3 year wait to actually see this building in 3 dimensions is finally over.

Thanks Karl for taking on this project and as an added bonus doing such a great job of building it.

John Bagley
Modeling the Alaska Railroad in HO in Wildwood Georgia.

UKGuy
Fireman

Posted - 03/14/2007 :  10:55:06 PM  Show Profile  Visit UKGuy's Homepage  Send UKGuy a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
Thanks for the encouragement. This has got to be the hardest subject I have tried to photograph ( not that there are that many subjects or photos to compare to ), no matter which angle I point the camera from, everything looks 'skewiff', off kilter and to coin the title of this thread ... 'cockeyed'.
The building is basically just two rectangles side by side, all plumb, all true and all square (except for the two front walls of course).

Looking back at my photos, this one has got to be the most misleading and miss-representative of the bunch.

Its hard to see from that pic , but the wall where the freezer door is (far left) and the wall with the 36 pane window(far right) are actually at a 90degree angle !! Hopefully I'll post a scan of the actual footprint in the next day or two and a few 'elevated' shots so an overall view can be seen, which may make things clearer.

The thing I find fascinating after reading back through this thread from three years ago, in the very begining of it, Bruce(Main Street)posted a sketch and a story.....
that sketch turned out to be 95% acurate for the general building layout and footprint!!

Bruce(Dutchman) may I be so bold as to ask a favour???? Next time the guys send you out somewhere to photograph an obscure building 5 or 6 times....at least one of the times take a tape measure with you please it would make things a whole lot easier.

Regards,
Karl.

Edited by - UKGuy on 03/14/2007 10:58:37 PM

Dutchman
Administrator

Premium Member

Posted - 03/14/2007 :  11:12:08 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by UKGuy

This has got to be the hardest subject I have tried to photograph ( not that there are that many subjects or photos to compare to ), no matter which angle I point the camera from, everything looks 'skewiff', off kilter and to coin the title of this thread ... 'cockeyed'.

Karl, tell me about it! From ground level, every angle that I took a picture from made the building look different.

quote:
Originally posted by UKGuy

Bruce(Dutchman) may I be so bold as to ask a favour???? Next time the guys send you out somewhere to photograph an obscure building 5 or 6 times....at least one of the times take a tape measure with you please it would make things a whole lot easier.

You are right. A few measurements would certainly have helped. That, and a helicopter ride over the building for some aerial shots.

Bruce

Page: of 11 Previous Topic: Update Arcadia Granite O Scale Topic Next Topic: Jeb structure kit  
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Previous Page | Next Page
Jump To:
Railroad Line Forums © 2000-19 Railroad Line Co. Go To Top Of Page
Steam was generated in 0.72 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000