Railroad Line Forums - Prototype Structures for Modeling, Part 2
Railroad Line Forums
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register
Forgot Password?
  Home   Forums   Events Calendar   Sponsors   Support the RRLine   Guestbook   FAQ     Register
Active Topics | Active Polls | Resources | Members | Online Users | Live Chat | Avatar Legend | Search | Statistics
Photo Album | File Lister | File Library
[ Active Members: 1 | Anonymous Members: 0 | Guests: 81 ]  [ Total: 82 ]  [ Newest Member: Dizzy ]
 All Forums
 Model Railroad Forums
 Railroad Photography Forum
 Prototype Structures for Modeling, Part 2
Next Page
 New Topic |   Topic Locked | 
Author Previous Topic: Spencer, NC - NC Transportation Museum Topic Next Topic: County Fair Open House Photos.
Page: of 24

Dutchman
Administrator

Premium Member

Posted - 03/13/2004 :  08:35:42 AM  Show Profile
I have been talking to Mike about the original "Prototype Structures That Cry Out To Be Modeled" thread and its future. Since it is a reference thread of prototype pictures, it is likely that members would want to find specific pictures from time to time. This gets difficult when a thread gets too long. Therefore, we decided to lock the original thread and start a "Part 2". (I had to change the name a little since "Prototype Structures That Cry Out To Be Modeled, Part 2" would not fit on the subject line.)

The guidelines for "Part 2" are the same. It should be a repository of prototype structure photos that strike your fancy, are great examples of weathering or construction techniques, or otherwise simply 'cry out to be modeled'.

The success of the thread has been due to the great posts from all the members, so keep your camera ready as you travel!

Let me kick off the thread with this structure which sits along the old double tracked Erie mainline just north of Suffern, NY.

This building caught my attention because of its mixture of building materials and its obvious evolution over time.

The original part of the building (on the right) is made of random cut stone and the clerestory roof is wood. Almost all of the windows are now covered up. I assume that the slanted "roof" at track level was added at some point to keep debris from collecting next to the building, or to protect those lower windows. The cinderblock entrance to the building on its left corner was probably added at that time. In the left rear, you can just see a modern addition. This was a prefab steel sided addition.

The original building had two additions heading straight back away from the tracks. The first had a stone block foundation with brick walls, and the second had a brick foundation with stucco walls.

Here is a closeup of the first addition.

And here is a better look at the second addition.

Here are a few more that show other detail.

Download Attachment: Hillburn5a.JPG
67.96 KB

Download Attachment: Hillburn10a.JPG
54.17 KB

Edited by - Dutchman on 03/13/2004 08:40:58 AM

bpate
Fireman

Posted - 03/14/2004 :  01:57:31 AM  Show Profile
Allen, I took a few photos today that I will use for reference and they may be useful or at least of interest for others.

This is a run-down garage that I think won't be around much longer. It shows quite well how Australian style corrigated iron rusts.

This is the house that the garage above serviced. It is a good example of a slate tile roofed timber weatherboard building from the late 1800's.

Download Attachment: hberghouse2.jpg
53.7 KB

Download Attachment: hberghouse3.jpg
45.7 KB

Edited by - bpate on 03/14/2004 05:42:59 AM

bpate
Fireman

Posted - 03/14/2004 :  02:10:35 AM  Show Profile
This is an old court house that is across the road from the house shown above.

These are Federation style houses build around 1901, the year Australia became a Federation of States. Prior to that the States were separate colonies, which is why we still have different gauged railways. I would be interested if anyone knows of kits that may be a basis for this sort of building.

A house on a corner block in Heidelberg, a suburb of Melbourne:

Another corner block house in Ivanhoe, a suburb next to Heidelberg:

Edited by - bpate on 03/14/2004 02:17:16 AM

ETinBH
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 03/17/2004 :  5:05:32 PM  Show Profile
in a forest, in a glen, in the last century, sat a cabin........

Elliott

ak-milw
Crew Chief

Posted - 03/20/2004 :  9:40:45 PM  Show Profile  Click to see ak-milw's MSN Messenger address
Dutch, In the first and last picture are you sure the the roof hasn't fallen from over the first story windows, like a awning or porch. If you look on the wall above the first story you can make out the tar lines where a roof once was, also the block wall on the right side would of helped hold it up?

Andy Kramer -- Modeling the Milwaukee Road in Wisconsin

Dutchman
Administrator

Premium Member

Posted - 03/21/2004 :  07:39:08 AM  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by ak-milw

Dutch, In the first and last picture are you sure the the roof hasn't fallen from over the first story windows, like a awning or porch. If you look on the wall above the first story you can make out the tar lines where a roof once was, also the block wall on the right side would of helped hold it up?

Andy, you may be right! That would make more sense than my first assumption. I will stop by this week to look closer.

Bbags
Administrator

Premium Member

Posted - 03/21/2004 :  4:13:18 PM  Show Profile
While I have borrowed many ideas that have been posted here, I have never contributed anything.
So I hope in the next few weeks to be able to post some photos of unique structures found along the shoreline in Connecticut.
Here are three pictures that I took around my house which show some different details that could be modeled.

First is a old metal shed which was on the back of my property when I bought the house.
The house was built in 1960 and this has been there since then.
It should be torn down as it serves no purpose other than to be an inspiration for my modeling rust.

Next is a picture of a brick chimney on the back of my house where the white streaks have appeared.
It is not paint.
I am not sure where they come from but I think it is from the lime leaching out of the brick.

Last is a screened porch roof made of rolled roofing which has a nice growth of moss.

John Bagley
Modeling the Alaska Railroad in HO in Wildwood Georgia.

anbhurst

Premium Member

Posted - 03/21/2004 :  5:57:59 PM  Show Profile
Barry,

Your second picture of the white house reminds me of the house Harry Truman was born in, in Lamar, Missouri. It's probably very different in actuality, but it certainly stirs my memory. Thanks for sharing your down-under, out-back Architecture.

Allen
Modelling the East in the West!

quote:
Originally posted by bpate

Allen, I took a few photos today that I will use for reference and they may be useful or at least of interest for others. . .This is the house that the garage above serviced. It is a good example of a slate tile roofed timber weatherboard building from the late 1800's. . .

Allen
Modeling the East in the West on the Northeastern Pacific RIM, Oregon, that is!

NickO
Fireman

Posted - 03/21/2004 :  8:19:15 PM  Show Profile

John,

I reckon that the white marks on the brickwork is efflorescence,or salt particles,coming out of the bricks.It is quite common,particularly on new brickwork,and should wash off fairly easily.Then again maybe it won't...Typical builder,won't commit himself!

NickO

ANo10
Fireman

Posted - 03/28/2004 :  12:58:57 PM  Show Profile
Refreshments at the End of the Line
(Durango and Silverton)

NickO
Fireman

Posted - 03/31/2004 :  5:41:01 PM  Show Profile
It has been suggested by Bbbbbags elsewhere that some of the buildings on my "estate" might be of interest to some of you,so here a few of the shots I've already posted.

Here is a shot of a barn in the next village to me,

NickO

Edited by - NickO on 03/31/2004 5:48:05 PM

Dutchman
Administrator

Premium Member

Posted - 03/31/2004 :  11:50:26 PM  Show Profile
Nick,
Thanks for the post! Hmm, we could start a new challenge project--"Model Nick's Place".

EnjayH
New Hire

Posted - 04/04/2004 :  11:51:22 PM  Show Profile
I think this is a great thread. I enjoyed all the shots. Here is my first contribution. I found this structure in Three Oaks Michigan last summer. It is still in operation.

Moderator's Note: What happened to the photo? Did it not get posted for some reason? Please try again. Thanks.

A.K.A. Locobreath

bpate
Fireman

Posted - 04/10/2004 :  02:36:54 AM  Show Profile
Perhaps to underline the importance of this thread and those like it, the garage I posted a photo of above has been demolished. It was near my old school so I have been familiar with it for more years than I care to remember. To lose one old garage is not a big deal one might say but if we don't record these things then they will be gone and forgotten forever. So thanks Bruce for this thread. I am glad I took that picture.

ETinBH
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 04/12/2004 :  8:10:24 PM  Show Profile
I think me bucket's gotta hole inyit.

Check out the thingie under the roof overhankg and the louvered door or shutter.

Elliott

Climax1880
Fireman

Posted - 04/12/2004 :  10:08:41 PM  Show Profile
Hey Bbags: THANKS FOR THE MEMORIES. I refer you to the photo of the porch with the mineral rolled roofing on it. Gee, I think mine would have looked like that in a few years after weathering. Unfortunately, I'll never find out. About the time they finished with the roofing, the house caught on fire (this was in '94) Oh well, anyway, I DO have pictures from that if somebody wants to model a REAL fire.

Page: of 24 Previous Topic: Spencer, NC - NC Transportation Museum Topic Next Topic: County Fair Open House Photos.  
 New Topic |   Topic Locked | 
Next Page
Jump To:
Railroad Line Forums © 2000-19 Railroad Line Co. Go To Top Of Page
Steam was generated in 0.44 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000