Railroad Line Forums - Wednesday morning lounge
Railroad Line Forums
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register
Forgot Password?
  Home   Forums   Events Calendar   Sponsors   Support the RRLine   Guestbook   FAQ     Register
Active Topics | Active Polls | Resources | Members | Online Users | Live Chat | Avatar Legend | Search | Statistics
Photo Album | File Lister | File Library
[ Active Members: 0 | Anonymous Members: 0 | Guests: 168 ]  [ Total: 168 ]  [ Newest Member: mm0047 ]
 All Forums
 General Forums
 The Crew Lounge
 Wednesday morning lounge
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Author Previous Topic: Your favorite songs Topic Next Topic: How to make music with a locomotive  

BurleyJim
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 04/07/2021 :  07:04:56 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Good morning all from 54f and clear N.E.Indiana. The coffee urn urn is READY with California Zephyr blend. The special is a short stack, sausage patties, and scrambled eggs on the side. All other beverages and the oatmeal pot at the end of the line. The smoothie machine is ready as the weather has changed over to more Spring like conditions.

I watched a 3 hour show of 'Mission Impossible' (the crew from my ISP) trying to figure out why they can't get their equipment to perform at even half the advertised speed. A lot of splinters in their hands from head scratching. A 'case study' in real time.

My cell phone Hotspot has become the most reliable commlink.

I was doing some maintenance on my printer, and those folks were more interested in the printer than fixing the internet connection. They are still trying to figure out why they can't get the speed up to specs. I sure wish there was an alternative system.

Maybe I'll get to do some actual modeling today.

Have a Super day!

Jim

Take the red pill

Michael Hohn
Fireman

Posted - 04/07/2021 :  07:39:47 AM  Show Profile  Visit Michael Hohn's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Good morning, Jim. It’s 54F with forecast high of 81F in northern West Virginia. We will make sure to be prompt getting out on the rail trail today.

I did some modeling yesterday, glazing windows and generally managing to keep glue off the “glass.” I also mowed the front and side yards and should do the back today.

Have a great day!

Mike

resqrk
Engine Wiper

Posted - 04/07/2021 :  08:15:29 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Good morning all!! Coffee finished, cats fed. Today looking to be decent for outdoor work......waiting on a rain day to do some modeling
Rick

tloc
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 04/07/2021 :  09:01:18 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Good morning Crew from sunny So. Central Wisconsin. It’s currently 54f degrees heading to 78 per the app. Great breakfast Jim and I will return after the exercise events are done this morning.

I have no thoughts for the day as to what I might do after the exercise. So, whatever unfolds...

TomO

Dutchman
Administrator

Premium Member

Posted - 04/07/2021 :  09:13:51 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Good morning Jim, Mike, Tom, Rick and the rest of the crew. It is mostly sunny and 57 degrees here in S.E. Michigan. We should get into the upper 70's later today.

After a walk and a trip to the bank, I might just be able to get some time at the modeling bench.

Well, it finally happened. Kohls paid us to take stuff off their shelves and walk out the door. We had $20 in Kohl's Cash from last week's purchase, so Bonnie picked up a blouse and I got a gym bag for our upcoming road trip. The total was a little over $60 plus tax. We handed in our $20 in Kohl's cash and I was getting ready to pay the remainder of the bill when the check-out gal said "You have $50 in Kohl's Rewards, do you want to apply it? Kohl's rewards? No idea where that came from. So heck yes, apply it! Out the door we went with no money spent. What a business model.

Have a great day!

Bruce

George D

Premium Member

Posted - 04/07/2021 :  09:19:21 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Good morning crew. It's nice to get my morning dose of sarcasm from you Jim. I see you've been able to your sanity through all that mess.

We're planning a fall trip and I just finished a call to London. Hopefully this Covid mess will be under control by then.

The sun's out in Tidewater Virginia, so I have some yard work to do followed by a trip to the dump with yard trash. I did a little work on some cassettes yesterday, maybe I'll get more done today.

Have a good day.
George

Fly Army

potsy
Crew Chief

Premium Member

Posted - 04/07/2021 :  09:57:58 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Good morning Jim and crew 62 sunny and beautiful here in SE Ohio thanks for breakfast Decaf and Oatmeal for me. Just finished a bike ride and I will be mowing soon. Landscape company is coming this afternoon to lay down polymeric sand on our patio.Waiting on tortoise switches so I can finishing installing them

Stay safe and enjoy life

Mark

k9wrangler
Engineer

Posted - 04/07/2021 :  10:19:37 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Sounds like the same crew working on the internet need some bigger strings between their cans, Jim. My 10 speed internet is a given pos. The tech that came out here last was quite helpful but the system is a mid-20th century hardwired system of an old independent telco that was bought up by a conglomerate (currently known as CenturyLink) and basically orphaned, sort of the red headed stepchild of the business. The area REA coop has been investing terrific amounts of money and effort to run fiber to their customers throughout their service area that looks like it was divided up from the big power company’s area like a gerrymandered congressional district in some smoke filled, liquor fueled back room. We’re the second house from the end of Big Power’s line. 1/10 mi from the fiber project. There is no ”cable” provider here. One time we had satellite internet...won’t go there...our cell phones get ok internet when on the road or up in the cedar swamp. BTW our local phone tech, has to go,through the 20 questions script before he can even talk to his support base.

Nice weather here, got the yard rolled yesterday, found some broken branches on one of my white pine trees and plenty to do outside. Big Red Ford 661 has the battery charger on and ———>next two paragraphs just vaporized....hmmm...just bs rambling anyhow. Have a good day all.

Mega Dittos

Karl Scribner
Manistique, Michigan

Edited by - k9wrangler on 04/07/2021 10:20:38 AM

Orionvp17
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 04/07/2021 :  12:41:38 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Afternoon All!

70 and sunny here in the northern mitten, but they've reduced the day's high forecast to 78 from 80.... Precursor to an early winter?

Was out for errands the other day and found some tile grout coloring that might work well for cinders in yards. It's a "charcoal" color, but it's not the black "cinders" offered by the popular scenery materials companies; it's more of a grimy black that seems to match the color prints I have in the bajillion picture books that make up a chunk of my reference library.

This stuff is a powder, so applying it will take some care, and I'll need to experiment. I'm thinking wet water spray and dripping adhesive between the rails, and perhaps latex paint and sifted powder on wet paint with additional adhesive as necessary on areas between yard tracks. Am open to suggestions.... I'd forgotten how long it's been since I had a chance to do actual scenery work, and I need to re-learn things!

But now it's off to the post office with some NMRA AP paperwork for one of the guys in my Division.

Make it a great day, All, and stay safe!

Pete
in Michigan

deemery
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 04/07/2021 :  12:58:43 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Well, in my limited experience, "The Cable Guy" may or may not have actual training on internet, as opposed to TV signals. They might not be knowledgeable or equipped to attack the problem at the various OSI levels, particularly in understanding what is going on at the packet level vs the "RF" signal level.

A good place to start, though, would be to understand packet loss and packet round-trip time. Unfortunately, I don't know how to do that on Windows. (On the Mac, you have to find where Apple is hiding "Network Utilities" or to use the command line tools like "ping" or "traceroute". I believe there ware built-in Windows equivalents, but "I don't do windows." :-) ) Packet loss usually indicates problems on the local wire. If you don't have a lot of packet loss, but have long traceroute times to your first hop, the problem is likely with the modem (either on your end, easy to fix, or on their end, a lot harder to fix since that's expensive networking hardware. They tend to use the cheapest modems on the customer end.)

The key question is whether the problem is local to your wire, or is further upstream. Cable/Telecon companies don't like to have to rerun wires, but the wiring up to your house is their responsibility (and I think that's not just by-contract but by-law in some cases.) But the individual techs are usually pretty well focused on solving problems (once they understand them.) One suggestion would be to have them install a temporary cable from your house access point back to the pole or wherever they hook up to the rest of the network.

Today I'll touch up a couple places where the backdrops aren't tightly glued, touch up the exposed corner with pens/paint, and then probably cut some more hardboard backdrop panels.

dave

Modeling 1890s (because the voices in my head told me to)

Edited by - deemery on 04/07/2021 1:00:56 PM

BurleyJim
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 04/07/2021 :  1:58:25 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Dave,

When packets = 0 and signal = 0, there isn't much to troubleshoot. The system is wireless, there are no wires, and the only fiber is between the shop and the house that I installed 10 years ago. Windows, MAC, and UNIX/LINUX, use pretty much the same network tools and language. I'll have to wait a bit, but started 'the solution' today. Signed up for STARLINK, and am in line for my earthbound system. 100 Megabit upload and download speeds, unlimited usage. Then, I'll say goodbye to the circus clowns I've been dealing with.

Elon Musk strikes again.

He took the RED PILL.

Jim

Take the red pill

deemery
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 04/07/2021 :  4:14:54 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
When signal = 0, the transmitter is probably dead. :-(

dave

Modeling 1890s (because the voices in my head told me to)

BurleyJim
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 04/07/2021 :  4:49:09 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Or on the wrong frequency, receiver not plugged in, receiver plugged into a dead outlet, squirrel ate the coax, bad flux capacitor, you name it, and you'll probably be right!

Plus the obligatory, "we'll get back to you on this!". Your call is very important to us! How important? Guess how much they are paying that phone answerer, divide $$$ by the number of callers, THAT'S HOW MUCH YOUR TIME is worth to them. It's the old Walmart model, that at one time said "if you are waiting in line for 8 minutes, come to the service desk. (Then wait another 20 minutes). After 8 minutes, I'd let the management team restock the shelves as I walked out the door. Transferred that to those that were deciding what 'customer's time' was worth. Use to drive my kids crazy, until they had to wait in lines.

Jim

Take the red pill

jbvb
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 04/07/2021 :  9:40:37 PM  Show Profile  Visit jbvb's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Good evening, all. Just finished writing up my switch timber (1:1) inventory at Seashore. First work day of my year, we spent a lot of the afternoon looking for tools and materials to thermite-weld some rail bonds. Probably try that tomorrow, but now I have one thing to do to my flat car before bedtine.

James

mwbpequod
Fireman

Posted - 04/08/2021 :  08:58:58 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Plus the obligatory, "we'll get back to you on this!". Your call is very important to us! How important? Guess how much they are paying that phone answerer, divide $$$ by the number of callers, THAT'S HOW MUCH YOUR TIME is worth to them. It's the old Walmart model, that at one time said "if you are waiting in line for 8 minutes, come to the service desk. (Then wait another 20 minutes). After 8 minutes, I'd let the management team restock the shelves as I walked out the door.

Reads a lot like my experience at the ER yesterday......after an hour of standing around, I walked out and walked the 2 miles home. I do hope that they got to the guy that was waiting there before me with the chest pains.

In a time like ours seemings and portents signify. Ours is a generation when dogs howl and the skin crawls on the skull with its beast's foreboding.

Previous Topic: Your favorite songs Topic Next Topic: How to make music with a locomotive  
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Jump To:
Railroad Line Forums © 2000-2020 Railroad Line Co. Go To Top Of Page
Steam was generated in 0.61 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000