Railroad Line Forums - FSM Kit #35 Two Stall Engine House
Railroad Line Forums
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register
Forgot Password?
  Home   Forums   Events Calendar   Sponsors   Support the RRLine   Guestbook   FAQ     Register
Active Topics | Active Polls | Resources | Members | Online Users | Live Chat | Avatar Legend | Search | Statistics
Photo Album | File Lister | File Library
[ Active Members: 2 | Anonymous Members: 0 | Guests: 168 ]  [ Total: 170 ]  [ Newest Member: mm0047 ]
 All Forums
 Model Railroad Forums
 Mike Chambers' Craftsman's Corner
 FSM Kit #35 Two Stall Engine House
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Author Previous Topic: Screen Door anyone? HO scale Topic Next Topic: SRMWs kit No. 240 HO Car Shop - Diesel Shop Build
Page: of 4

Bernd
Fireman

Posted - 03/29/2021 :  09:21:53 AM  Show Profile  Visit Bernd's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Bruce,

Nice pictures. They reminded me I started both of those projects many years ago. Here's proof.

The engine house. Still in it's box. Love the price on the box. That's what I actually paid for it too.

The signal tower. Again that's what I paid for it. Both were bought in a hobby shop many many years ago. The walls are warped because they are some kind of paper. It would be a great candidate for replacing the warped material for something used in wall construction today.

My big problem here is that I have to many "projects" and not spending time any any long enough to finish them.

Bernd

New York, Vermont & Northern Rwy. - Route of the Black Diamonds

Michael Hohn
Fireman

Posted - 03/29/2021 :  09:22:11 AM  Show Profile  Visit Michael Hohn's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Bruce,

What a deal! You got some real winners there.

Iím looking to watching you put this together. Are we going to get to debate roofing: slate versus shingle?

Thank you for the photo gallery. A lot of talent represented in those photos.

Mike

Dutchman
Administrator

Premium Member

Posted - 03/29/2021 :  09:54:54 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks, Rick, George, Rich, Bernd and Mike. Thanks for following along.

Bernd, I was able to salvage the walls of the tower, even though the box had be soaked with water. The roof was in worse shape and prompted me to make a new sub-roof and change the covering to slate.

Bruce

Dutchman
Administrator

Premium Member

Posted - 03/29/2021 :  10:55:42 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Okay, here is the obligatory pictures of the box contents.

You see in the box stripwood and scribed siding pieces for the build, a packet of green dyed sawdust for around the outside of the building, a packet of pebbles to glue on the lower part of the walls to simulate the foundation, a small packet of castings limited to a set of stairs if you make an inspection pit, and the round window frames. You also see brick paper for the floor and acetate windows just peeking from below the brick paper. More on those two later.

If you read Mike's build thread, you will find a discussion on the castings included in the box. We surmise that the castings for detailing the interior that were included in the later introduction of Kit #135 were either not available in Kit #35 or were offered as an 'extra'.

Here are the four walls. This was the time before laser cutting, so the openings are die cut. George actually edge glued the peaked roof ends and the lower wall pieces to the center part of the walls. Those various sections will likely take A&I stain slightly differently since they have different wood shades when viewed in person. I will have to take that into consideration when deciding how to finish the walls.

Bruce

deemery
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 03/29/2021 :  11:02:00 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Bruce, you could go for a two-tone paint job that was popular on a lot of railroads...

dave

Modeling 1890s (because the voices in my head told me to)

Dutchman
Administrator

Premium Member

Posted - 03/29/2021 :  11:04:11 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Mike's thread is very helpful to anyone wanting to build this model. One example is dealing with the windows which were printed on acetate as was somewhat the norm at the time.

Walt had Rusty Stumps up and running already back then and agreed to laser cut replacement windows for the kit.

A lot of Forum members purchased a set from Walt back then if they had the kit on the shelf, and I was no different.

Again, reading Mike's thread, you will see that the large side windows ended up a little small due to one of Mike's measurements being off. however, the window trim takes care of it as you will see in the picture of Mike's work that I posted on page 1 of this thread.

Walt sold off all the laser cut windows and doors to a different manufacturer a few years ago. Walt might know if the new owner still offers this set of windows.

Bruce

Dutchman
Administrator

Premium Member

Posted - 03/29/2021 :  11:13:33 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by deemery

Bruce, you could go for a two-tone paint job that was popular on a lot of railroads...

dave

Dave, is a good suggestion. However, the logging railroads in PA rarely painted any of their structures. All my surrounding structures will be 'aged wood'. I'm hoping I can achieve something like Jack Bergan's model back on Pg. 1 by using Burnt Umber oils. I'll play around on some scraps first.

Bruce

Dutchman
Administrator

Premium Member

Posted - 03/29/2021 :  11:19:35 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Now as to the brick paper which was provided to serve as a brick floor in the engine house. The logging railroads of PA usually left the floor dirt or used the ever present wood from the mill to make a wood floor. I plan on going with a wood floor.

I will save the brick paper for another build.

Bruce

Carl B
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 03/29/2021 :  11:29:35 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I'll be following Bruce.

Those windows are still available here:

https://www.rail-scale-models.com/HO-Engine-House-Windows

Dutchman
Administrator

Premium Member

Posted - 03/29/2021 :  11:32:02 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks for that link, Carl.

If anyone has this kit 'on the shelf', they should grab a set of those while they are still available.

Bruce

Dutchman
Administrator

Premium Member

Posted - 03/29/2021 :  11:41:52 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
One other decision made.

Here are the sub-roofs supplied in the kit.

You can see that George has made openings for the Clerestory and the skylights.

I can't find a picture of an engine house in the woods of Pennsylvania that had skylights, so I will be eliminating them from my build. I will build the Clerestory.

In all likelihood I will put wood shakes on the roof.

Bruce

Larryc
Crew Chief

Posted - 03/29/2021 :  11:58:30 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Bruce first off thanks for posting those photos of other's work, very interesting. Also they should give you some inspiration. The price that you paid for all those kits is amazing; now I bet your glad you purchased them.
Looking forward to watching you build this fine kit; will be following along with interest.

My current build:http://www.railroad-line.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=53479

robert goslin
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 03/30/2021 :  01:16:26 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Bruce, this should be a lot of fun.
John Allen's original structure is one of my all time favourites.
Definitely on my list to scratchbuild (one day).
May have to get some dimensions off you.

You were very lucky to pick up so many FSM kits for that price, even if they may have some damage.

Regards Rob

My current build.
http://railroad-line.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=53468

Dutchman
Administrator

Premium Member

Posted - 03/30/2021 :  07:54:41 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks for the comments, Larry & Rob.

Another thing that Mike C. discovered in his build was that the door openings in the front wall were not perfectly centered. I found that to be true on mine as well.

Now I'm sure that many kits were assembled with the doors off center and it was never noticed by viewers, especially if modeled with the large doors open. However, the image in my head of Mike looking down and shaking his head was too vivid, so I will be making a new front wall.

Here I've laid out the wall on a piece of mat board.

Bruce

Michael Hohn
Fireman

Posted - 03/30/2021 :  07:59:14 AM  Show Profile  Visit Michael Hohn's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Bruce,

Windows: I used that set of windows on an enginehouse I scratchbuilt several years ago, so I owe Mike a posthumous Thank You. They were perfect and matched the prototype closely.

Rail Scale Models: I can vouch for the service he provides. I placed an order late Monday of last week and it was in the mail by noon the next morning and in my mailbox on Thursday. Canít ask for better.

Roof: I agree with the decision to ditch the skylights and to go with a shingled roof. Not that you need my agreement; I just think a plain shingled roof makes more sense. The clerestory will give it personality.

Mike

Page: of 4 Previous Topic: Screen Door anyone? HO scale Topic Next Topic: SRMWs kit No. 240 HO Car Shop - Diesel Shop Build  
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Previous Page | Next Page
Jump To:
Railroad Line Forums © 2000-2020 Railroad Line Co. Go To Top Of Page
Steam was generated in 0.61 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000