Railroad Line Forums - New source for 3D printed arch-bar trucks
Railroad Line Forums
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register
Forgot Password?
  Home   Forums   Events Calendar   Sponsors   Support the RRLine   Guestbook   FAQ     Register
Active Topics | Active Polls | Resources | Members | Online Users | Live Chat | Avatar Legend | Search | Statistics
Photo Album | File Lister | File Library
[ Active Members: 1 | Anonymous Members: 0 | Guests: 170 ]  [ Total: 171 ]  [ Newest Member: BlackDiamond1964 ]
 All Forums
 Model Railroad Forums
 Early Rail Forum
 New source for 3D printed arch-bar trucks
 New Topic |   Reply to Topic | 
Author Previous Topic: The Coos Bay and Willamette  Valley Part two Topic Next Topic: Ken Kidder Porter 2-6-0  

deemery
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 03/26/2021 :  4:18:11 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
https://3dptrain.com/Creator/zmw/

dave
Modeling 1890s (because the voices in my head told me to)

George D

Premium Member

Posted - 03/26/2021 :  4:22:18 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I've never dealt with any 3D items. How durable are they for this kind of application?

George

Fly Army

Bernd
Fireman

Posted - 03/26/2021 :  6:54:36 PM  Show Profile  Visit Bernd's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I wonder how many you'll break trying to get wheel sets into them with the those brake beams on the end. I wouldn't think they would spread to far. Of course it also depends on what kind of material they are made from. From my current foray into 3D printing I hear that the resin is brittle if exposed to UV light for any length of time.

It be interesting to purchase a pair without wheels to test out the theory at what point they break.

Bernd

New York, Vermont & Northern Rwy. - Route of the Black Diamonds

railman28
Fireman

Posted - 03/26/2021 :  7:51:06 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by George D

How durable are they?

They are fine. I mean they are strong enough. I find them stronger than the 0ld Red Ball cast metal versions offered by others. Only problem is their lightness.
My experiences are with those printed by Shapeways and not this shops products.
Bob

It's only make-believe

Edited by - railman28 on 03/26/2021 7:52:50 PM

CNE1899
Engine Wiper

Supporting Member

Posted - 03/26/2021 :  7:53:08 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I work at a product design firm. We have two SLA machines and a FDM machine. For the SLA machines which use a laser to cure the resin, we have about 8-10 different types of resin.
Some resins are flexible to simulate rubber, some are more rigid like glass filled nylon. So really it depends on the type of resin they are using. We have resins that are very durable,
you can throw them against the wall and they won't break. I recently grew some Z scale tender tops out of three different resins. They are most likely using a durable resin, but you can
always ask, and then look up the resin.

Scott

Edited by - CNE1899 on 03/26/2021 7:58:39 PM

Early1905
New Hire

Posted - 03/26/2021 :  8:09:07 PM  Show Profile  Visit Early1905's Homepage  Reply with Quote
They look interesting Just ordered 3 of each of the HO archbars.
Howard Garner

railman28
Fireman

Posted - 03/26/2021 :  9:00:16 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by CNE1899

Can a moderator remove these extras?

Scott

You Can. IN the list of Icons above YOUR post the last one is to remove the post.

Bob

It's only make-believe

CNE1899
Engine Wiper

Supporting Member

Posted - 03/26/2021 :  9:10:16 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks Bob.

Scott

dave1905
Fireman

Posted - 03/26/2021 :  11:36:26 PM  Show Profile  Visit dave1905's Homepage  Reply with Quote
If you file a small notch in the bottom of the journal box on one side, just enough to relieve the amount the trucks have to spread, it makes installing wheelsets much less prone to breakage.

Dave Husman

Iron Men and wooden cars
Visit my website : www.wnbranch.com

Bernd
Fireman

Posted - 03/27/2021 :  5:17:20 PM  Show Profile  Visit Bernd's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by dave1905

If you file a small notch in the bottom of the journal box on one side, just enough to relieve the amount the trucks have to spread, it makes installing wheelsets much less prone to breakage.

Never thought of that. Thanks Dave.

Bernd

New York, Vermont & Northern Rwy. - Route of the Black Diamonds

Tintic Range
Section Hand

Posted - 04/05/2021 :  3:55:45 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
You don't need to file any notches in these. I took the product photos that are on the website. There is plenty of physical tolerance and flexibility in the material to allow wheelsets such as Kadee, Intermountain (what is depicted in the photo) and ExactRail to simply slide in place. Many UV-cured resins used in hobby applications now behave like normal polystyrene plastic.

I've used 3D printed trucks from several sources, including a few shapeways sellers, and only broken one, even with the simulated body-mounted brake beams. In the case of the one that broke, that was not due to deficiencies in the material nor design but rather simply my fat fingers putting too much pressure on it while making a modification to match a specific prototype.

Early1905
New Hire

Posted - 04/12/2021 :  2:53:33 PM  Show Profile  Visit Early1905's Homepage  Reply with Quote
My six set arrived last week. Installed both Tangent and Intermontain 33" wheel set with no problems. they are flexible enough to work

One had a mis-shapened journal box. Notified the vendor and it was quickly replaced.

Now just to figure out what cars to put them under

Howard Garner
modeling 1905 in southern Minnesota

Previous Topic: The Coos Bay and Willamette  Valley Part two Topic Next Topic: Ken Kidder Porter 2-6-0  
 New Topic |   Reply to Topic | 
Jump To:
Railroad Line Forums © 2000-2020 Railroad Line Co. Go To Top Of Page
Steam was generated in 0.3 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000